Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Administration Faces Pressure To Not Deport Detained Iraqi Christians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Administration Faces Pressure To Not Deport Detained Iraqi Christians

Immigration authorities have rounded up nearly 200 Iraqis in recent weeks, and the Trump administration is now under heavy pressure to hold off moves to deport them.

Many of those currently detained are from the minority Chaldean Christian community, which faces severe persecution in Iraq.

Protesters outside the Detroit courtroom Wednesday shouted in support of the detained Iraqis, Michigan Radio reports. Some held signs depicting President Trump that read "You Vowed To Protect Us."

On the campaign trail and in office, Trump has vowed to help persecuted Christians in the Middle East.
    Source
    Last edited by Jin-roh; 06-22-2017, 09:25 AM. Reason: Formatting...

Looks to me like a no-win situation. Doing the right thing is exceedingly likely to produce lawsuits over a religious litmus test, despite the fact that they'd have the likelihood of mistreatment and/or death if returned to Iraq and that the rate of radicalized Christian immigrant terrorism is precisely 0.0%.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Looks to me like a no-win situation. Doing the right thing is exceedingly likely to produce lawsuits over a religious litmus test, despite the fact that they'd have the likelihood of mistreatment and/or death if returned to Iraq and that the rate of radicalized Christian immigrant terrorism is precisely 0.0%.
      There's been legal precedent for not sending people back if you know they will be killed or even persecuted. I don't think it would be the first time the United States granted some kind of asylum on that basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
        There's been legal precedent for not sending people back if you know they will be killed or even persecuted. I don't think it would be the first time the United States granted some kind of asylum on that basis.
        Yes, but some activist judge is sure to infer that he's really letting them stay because they're Christians, and not because of the persecution, and decide that everyone else gets to stay too. That's pretty much exactly the reasoning used in denying Trump's travel ban.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yes, but some activist judge is sure to infer that he's really letting them stay because they're Christians,
          Trump doesn't seem to be advocating for them to stay, so it's not an issue of him letting anyone do anything.

In any case "allow those persecuted on account of religion [unqualified] to seek asylum" is legally distinct from Trump's list of countries and you'd have to put blinders on to think that he wasn't fulfilling a campaign promise with that, regardless of how the law was worded.

Comment

He could send them to Canuckistan since Trudeau said he would be glad to take in all refugees from the U.S.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Trump doesn't seem to be advocating for them to stay, so it's not an issue of him letting anyone do anything.

In any case "allow those persecuted on account of religion [unqualified] to seek asylum" is legally distinct from Trump's list of countries and you'd have to put blinders on to think that he wasn't fulfilling a campaign promise with that, regardless of how the law was worded.
              His list of countries is equally legally distinct; His campaign rhetoric was "muslims" and his list doesn't nearly cover that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                He could send them to Canuckistan since Trudeau said he would be glad to take in all refugees from the U.S.
                Might be the best for the refugees. We're not a very nice country.

Comment

His list of countries is equally legally distinct; His campaign rhetoric was "muslims" and his list doesn't nearly cover that.
                  Spirit of the law, letter of law... but that's a little besides the issue at hand.

Comment

Spirit of the law, letter of law... but that's a little besides the issue at hand.
                    It's not, it's a perverse ruling and gross abuse of power by the court that could be used to declare anything Trump does unconstitutional.

Anyway, I agree it's irrelevant because in this case we're talking about people who were given refugee status and then decided it was a good idea to repay the generosity of their host country by committing crimes, some if not all of them fairly serious ones. Being a Christian should not be a license to ignore the law.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      It's not, it's a perverse ruling and gross abuse of power by the court that could be used to declare anything Trump does unconstitutional.
                      I'm not sure how the 9th circuit's decision means any of that, but yeah that's another thread.

Anyway, I agree it's irrelevant because in this case we're talking about people who were given refugee status and then decided it was a good idea to repay the generosity of their host country by committing crimes, some if not all of them fairly serious ones. Being a Christian should not be a license to ignore the law.
                      We agree on these.

Comment