Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Could God Be Evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Yeah, I suppose I'd go along with that, as it doesn't seem to contradict the view I've put forward here. Although, I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by "finite" and "infinite" good. All good, in my opinion, is ultimately derived from God.
    Only finite good can be negated. God created man as a good creation. Yet man who was created good being a finite being sinned.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      Only finite good can be negated. God created man as a good creation. Yet man who was created good being a finite being sinned.
      Hmm. Yeah, not sure I exactly agree with your finite/infinite good distinction for the reason I mentioned.

Comment

I still have no idea what you're talking about
        I'm talking about your silly claim that evil is the absence of good and not a "positive" act. Murdering someone is a positive act.

God does not have to be a part of hell in order to be omnipresent, or do you reject omnipresence as a characteristic of God because you believe it is a form of pantheism?
        I don't reject it, I just don't think it's relevant to the topic.

God's presence in hell does not make hell good, but neither does it make hell a world absolutely devoid of good, which was what I said I thought was hard to conceive of.
        Of course it does. Hell doesn't become slightly good just because God's presence extends there. The good part would still be God, and not hell.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          I'm talking about your silly claim that evil is the absence of good and not a "positive" act. Murdering someone is a positive act.
          Well, first of all, I can't really take credit for the "silly" claim. That credit goes to Aquinas (as far as I know). Murder is not a positive act. Aquinas puts it this way,
          For what is that which we call evil but the absence of good? In the bodies of animals, disease and wounds mean nothing but the absence of health; for when a cure is effected, that does not mean that the evils which were present—namely, the diseases and wounds—go away from the body and dwell elsewhere: they altogether cease to exist; for the wound or disease is not a substance, but a defect in the fleshly substance,—the flesh itself being a substance, and therefore something good, of which those evils—that is, privations of the good which we call health—are accidents. Just in the same way, what are called vices in the soul are nothing but privations of natural good. And when they are cured, they are not transferred elsewhere: when they cease to exist in the healthy soul, they cannot exist anywhere else.

I don't reject it, I just don't think it's relevant to the topic.
          Well, neither do I, but then, I didn't bring it up.

Of course it does. Hell doesn't become slightly good just because God's presence extends there. The good part would still be God, and not hell.
          Hell itself doesn't have to be good (though some may argue that even in hell some "good" may yet exist), but if God is omnipresent, if his power, his justice exists there, and if it is he that sustains hell, then no, I don't think we can say that hell is absolutely devoid of good. Or at least, I'm not ready to say that. You're free to of course.
          Last edited by Adrift; 06-23-2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Hmm. Yeah, not sure I exactly agree with your finite/infinite good distinction for the reason I mentioned.
            If infinite good can be negated by any evil, then God cannot be good. The knowledge of good and evil is God's (Genesis 3:22).

That very word translated "evil" is used where God says ". . . I . . . create evil . . . ," Isaiah 45:7.
            Deuteronomy 32;39,
            . . . See now that I, [even] I, [am] He, and there is no god with Me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither [is there any] that can deliver out of My hand. . . .
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              You could say that about a lot of acts. The evil in the act is the harm inflicted on the victim though, not the killer's state of mind.
              If I was walking along and accidentally tripped and stabbed you in the head, it would not be an evil act, just tragic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                If I was walking along and accidentally tripped and stabbed you in the head, it would not be an evil act, just tragic.
                Could a neurosurgeon be considered to stab people in the head? Well, way more careful, so more like gently cut into your skin, skull, and brain while the anesthesiologist keeps you pain free in happy coma land.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment