Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Existential comics punches scientism in the face, writes articulate blog post why.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    You were right to suspect something is amiss, the whole thing is intended to be an apologia for modern feminism. This becomes clear if you read the piece after the actual comic.
    No one said it couldn't have a subplot, but yeah if it hurts your ego a bit too much, I get it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    The Existential comics were hitting the men you enumerated.
    I responded that such a target may be poorly considered.

That is on topic.

You obviously don't care to discuss that, which is fine.
    I'll leave you be.

Oh so you did it read now... that's a good first step.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I found this quote by Stephen Hawking from his book The Grand Design:

“We wonder, we seek answers: What is the nature of reality? Where did all this come from? Did the universe need a creator? Traditionally, these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead. Philosophers have not kept up with modern developments in science”.

Did not have the original source but found it in this rather interesting article: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...tism-1.1656080

Surely a lot has been going on with "modern developments in science" if it can answer all these questions. Let’s look at some of the questions mentioned:

What is the nature of reality?
    It’s hard to see how one can escape metaphysics in this one. One cannot rule out the possibility of a reality beyond the realm of human senses or the human mind. One can have an approach that is not open to it like that of logical positivism, but that does not prove anything but the limits of their own approach. Even claiming that ultimate reality is material is to make a metaphysical statement about ultimate reality, since it is a statement about ultimate reality. It is even a statement that one cannot prove.

Where did all this come from?
    Yep, why does something exist instead of absolutely nothing. Never seen a scientist - or a philosopher for that matter - answer that question. If science is to examine reality, it must exist beforehand. I find it hard to see exactly how one could go back to the ultimate reason for anything to exist using that method. But I would like to have an explanation if anyone knows.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-roh View Post
    No one said it couldn't have a subplot, but yeah if it hurts your ego a bit too much, I get it.
    catty
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

5. Amen Meh Gerbil, Jin-roh amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I found this quote by Stephen Hawking from his book The Grand Design:

“We wonder, we seek answers: What is the nature of reality? Where did all this come from? Did the universe need a creator? Traditionally, these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead. Philosophers have not kept up with modern developments in science”.

Did not have the original source but found it in this rather interesting article: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...tism-1.1656080

Surely a lot has been going on with "modern developments in science" if it can answer all these questions. Let’s look at some of the questions mentioned:

What is the nature of reality?
    It’s hard to see how one can escape metaphysics in this one. One cannot rule out the possibility of a reality beyond the realm of human senses or the human mind. One can have an approach that is not open to it like that of logical positivism, but that does not prove anything but the limits of their own approach. Even claiming that ultimate reality is material is to make a metaphysical statement about ultimate reality, since it is a statement about ultimate reality. It is even a statement that one cannot prove.

Yep, why does something exist instead of absolutely nothing. Never seen a scientist - or a philosopher for that matter - answer that question. If science is to examine reality, it must exist beforehand. I find it hard to see exactly how one could go back to the ultimate reason for anything to exist using that method. But I would like to have an explanation if anyone knows.
    I attended a Richard Dawkins lecture where he maintained that we shouldn't ask the question of 'Why?' in science.
    He said it was a loaded question.
    I found it odd that a 'free thinker' would define questions that should not be asked.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    I attended a Richard Dawkins lecture where he maintained that we shouldn't ask the question of 'Why?' in science.
    He said it was a loaded question.
    I found it odd that a 'free thinker' would define questions that should not be asked.
    I surely agree with you on that one. I cannot help getting the feeling that many of those guys are more obsessed with "finding answers" than "asking questions". Which very often lead to answers that are not really satisfying.

And, perhaps not a very essential but funny point, I cannot help laughing at the fact that Dawkins in all his atheism sounds so much like a sunday school teacher teaching the kids: "You shall not be afraid to die... I am telling you that the atoms of which you are made..."

Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I surely agree with you on that one. I cannot help getting the feeling that many of those guys are more obsessed with "finding answers" than "asking questions". Which very often lead to answers that are not really satisfying.

And, perhaps not a very essential but funny point, I cannot help laughing at the fact that Dawkins in all his atheism sounds so much like a sunday school teacher teaching the kids: "You shall not be afraid to die... I am telling you that the atoms of which you are made..."
    My impression is that these guys are the last vestiges of modernism.
    I'm not a philosopher so this is stuff I piece together here and there.
    Take it for what it is worth (not much).

That is why the comic amused me - the selection of the targets suggests to me that the author isn't aware of where the battle is being fought.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-roh View Post
    The Philosophy Force Five vs the Scientismists

Sorry, not sorry, NDGT, Dawkins, Sam Harris, et al.
    I saw that this was posted in the Screwball thread as an anti-Screwball. I like that the author is targeting scientism, but the comic itself is not at all funny or witty or anything that would make it "comic". It just comes off forced and preachy, which is precisely what you wouldn't want in this sort of format. When a comic has a paragraph long speech bubble in every panel, you know you're going to run into trouble. The artwork wasn't the absolute worse I've ever seen, so I suppose it's got that going for it.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I saw that this was posted in the Screwball thread as an anti-Screwball. I like that the author is targeting scientism, but the comic itself is not at all funny or witty or anything that would make it "comic". It just comes off forced and preachy, which is precisely what you wouldn't want in this sort of format. When a comic has a paragraph long speech bubble in every panel, you know you're going to run into trouble. The artwork wasn't the absolute worse I've ever seen, so I suppose it's got that going for it.
    Not all of the comics are intended to be humorous. This is one of those.

Even those which are intended to be humorous tend to be very oblique about it, imo.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There is no answer to this question. There's no explanation to be had.
    I'm not here anymore.