Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming the Right Person vs. Doing Right for Right Reasons

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Becoming the Right Person vs. Doing Right for Right Reasons

Which is more important? Becoming the right kind of person or doing what is right for the right reasons. Can someone explain why?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxb View Post
    Which is more important? Becoming the right kind of person or doing what is right for the right reasons. Can someone explain why?
    What's the difference? It seems to me like the right kind of person will do what is right for the right reasons...

3. Amen Meh Gerbil, Jedidiah, Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Presumably, the right kind of person would do the right thing for the right reasons. Which would not preclude the wrong kind of person from doing the right thing for the right reasons, AFAICT
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

5. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Presumably, the right kind of person would do the right thing for the right reasons.
    Who determines what constitutes “the right kind of person”?

Which would not preclude the wrong kind of person from doing the right thing for the right reasons, AFAICT
    Or the “wrong kind of person” doing the right thing for the wrong reason.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    That would be determined by what the particular right thing is, meseems.

Or the “wrong kind of person” doing the right thing for the wrong reason.
    True - all the permutations would seemingly work.

Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In Christian Theology doing right without being the right kind of person is a good thing but the purpose of a new nature is to be the right kind of person.
    The goal isn't an external moderation of behavior but a change of nature (that which corrupts comes from the internal, not from the external).

I don't even know if my answer is on topic.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

9. Amen tabibito, Chrawnus, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Who or "what" determines. Who is personal, that only a personal source determines what constitutes what is good. "What" is only if what is good is a matter of objective reality. The "Who" and "what" can be one and the same. Or only be one or the other not both.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Presumably, the right kind of person would do the right thing for the right reasons. Which would not preclude the wrong kind of person from doing the right thing for the right reasons, AFAICT
    I was going to reply to this post, but I was so tired I accidentally amened it. I don't think even Cow Poke has ever made that kind of blunder.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the wrong kind of person can do the right thing for the right reasons. To me it seems like the doing the right thing because you're the right kind of person is the same as doing it for the right reason.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I was going to reply to this post, but I was so tired I accidentally amened it. I don't think even Cow Poke has ever made that kind of blunder.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the wrong kind of person can do the right thing for the right reasons. To me it seems like the doing the right thing because you're the right kind of person is the same as doing it for the right reason.
    I've been trying to think of an example - but in the final analysis, taking the action turns the wrong kind of person into the right kind of person.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxb View Post
    The most important thing is that our behavior pleases and glorifies God, the rest is academic...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await our execution...