Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Results 531 to 536 of 536

Thread: Becoming the Right Person vs. Doing Right for Right Reasons

  1. #531
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,728
    Amen (Given)
    3683
    Amen (Received)
    18581
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Not going to argue this with you chuck. Stay in the car. Tassman's entire argument is a logical fallacy "Jesus never mentioned it so it isn't a sin". No need to respond with substance if Tassman has none to respond to.
    I think Tassman writes for the Babylon Bee. This sounds like his argument:


    Jesus Never Said ANYTHING About Felony Home Invasion

    Want to know what I’m incredibly tired of? Christians speaking out against felony home invasion. I’ll never understand why self-described “followers of Christ” feel so comfortable rallying around a topic that Jesus never even mentioned.

    Can you name one single time Jesus specifically addressed this issue? No, you can’t.

    If you disagree with me, then by all means, point in your Bible to the verse where Jesus explicitly says, “Do not engage in either first, second, or third degree home invasion.”

    Please, show me the verse where Jesus says, “Do not forcefully enter the house of another with the intent to commit a felony, larceny, or assault once inside.”

    Or just save yourself the time, because those verses are nowhere to be found.

    Jesus said a lot of things, but He obviously saw felony home invasion as a non-issue. But that certainly doesn’t stop millions and millions of hypocritical Christians from cutting-and-pasting other things He said in order to form a haphazard theology, based on their own personal prejudices and fears, that discriminates against career home invaders and seeks to deprive them of rights essential to their being.

    Shame on you!

    You call yourselves followers of Jesus, but you speak out against home invaders? Jesus never said ANYTHING about felony home invasion!

    But guess what? Here are a few things Jesus really DID say:

    “Bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.” –Luke 6:28
    “From one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either.” –Luke 6:29
    “From one who takes away your goods do not demand them back.” –Luke 6:30

    Extremely inconvenient verses for anti-home-invaders, wouldn’t you say? These words imply that, if anything, Jesus was in favor of felony home invasion.

    For those Christians who are still stuck on this issue, here’s another thing Jesus said: “Judge not.”

    If you claim to be a Christian yet you judge home invaders, you need to take a long, hard look in your Bible—and then a long, hard look in the mirror.

    http://babylonbee.com/news/jesus-nev...home-invasion/



  2. Amen One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
  3. #532
    tWebber Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,574
    Amen (Given)
    476
    Amen (Received)
    1260
    Whoever wrote that forgot Jesus said to forgive those who trespass against you.
    Mountain Man: A skin cell is a skin cell. It doesn't grow, it doesn't organize, it doesn't adapt, it doesn't self-sustain, it doesn't metabolize, it doesn't respond to stimuli.

  4. #533
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,728
    Amen (Given)
    3683
    Amen (Received)
    18581
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Whoever wrote that forgot Jesus said to forgive those who trespass against you.
    yep. that should have been in there.

  5. #534
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,939
    Amen (Given)
    2203
    Amen (Received)
    1505
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think Tassman writes for the Babylon Bee. This sounds like his argument
    Argument via sneer, typical Sparko.

    We don’t know where Jesus stood on homosexuality and abortion, because he didn’t say...unlike marriage and divorce where he made his views very clear.

    But, Jesus personally never mentions homosexuality even though he lived in a culture where homosexuality was commonplace. Maybe it was important to him, maybe not. But cobbling together bits and pieces from Leviticus and Paul claiming they represent Jesus’ views is not necessarily accurate and many modern Christians seem able to make a case for homosexuality among Christians.

    As for abortion, it didn’t equate in any way to the modern Evangelical position. In Jewish law, a fetus attains the status of a full person only at birth. This presumably would have been Jesus’ view, given that he never felt the need to correct it. But we can't know for sure because he never addressed the subject of abortion.

    http://www.myjewishlearning.com/arti...ewish-thought/
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  6. #535
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,728
    Amen (Given)
    3683
    Amen (Received)
    18581
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Argument via sneer, typical Sparko.

    We don’t know where Jesus stood on homosexuality and abortion, because he didn’t say...unlike marriage and divorce where he made his views very clear.

    But, Jesus personally never mentions homosexuality even though he lived in a culture where homosexuality was commonplace. Maybe it was important to him, maybe not. But cobbling together bits and pieces from Leviticus and Paul claiming they represent Jesus’ views is not necessarily accurate and many modern Christians seem able to make a case for homosexuality among Christians.

    As for abortion, it didn’t equate in any way to the modern Evangelical position. In Jewish law, a fetus attains the status of a full person only at birth. This presumably would have been Jesus’ view, given that he never felt the need to correct it. But we can't know for sure because he never addressed the subject of abortion.

    http://www.myjewishlearning.com/arti...ewish-thought/
    Like I said, argument from silence. Yet another logical fallacy by Tassman. And your link to a modern Jew's opinion telling you what the ancient hebrews believed is just as much a fallacy. it even says, "At the same time, feticide is prohibited by Jewish law,"

    and here is a counter article saying that Jewish law forbids abortion: http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...n-Abortion.htm
    "If someone is out to kill you or other innocent people, you need to protect those innocent lives, even if it means killing the murderer. This applies to an abortion, as well. A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus."

  7. #536
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,939
    Amen (Given)
    2203
    Amen (Received)
    1505
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Like I said, argument from silence. Yet another logical fallacy by Tassman. And your link to a modern Jew's opinion telling you what the ancient hebrews believed is just as much a fallacy. it even says, "At the same time, feticide is prohibited by Jewish law,"
    It’s not an argument from silence any more than your assumption that Jesus’ forbade abortion is an argument from silence. But there's no reason to think Jesus thought differently from his fellow Jews. And the traditional Jewish position has been that a fetus only attains the status of a full person only at birth, not at conception.

    and here is a counter article saying that Jewish law forbids abortion: http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...n-Abortion.htm

    "If someone is out to kill you or other innocent people, you need to protect those innocent lives, even if it means killing the murderer. This applies to an abortion, as well. A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus."


    Congratulations, you’ve managed to find a minority website that agrees with you. Sort of! This is the website of the Hasidic Jews...a Jewish religious group that arose during the 18th century in the Ukraine.

    “The fact remains that traditionally Jewish law does not share the belief common among abortion opponents that life begins at conception, nor does it legally consider the fetus to be a full person deserving of protections equal those accorded to human beings. In Jewish law, a fetus attains the status of a full person only at birth.”

    This is reflected in Israel itself where “all Israeli women seeking to terminate a pregnancy (and have it paid for through state health insurance) must appear before a three-person committee, but in practice nearly all requests are granted. There are no laws limiting when an abortion can be performed, and a woman whose request is denied by the committee can still seek an abortion at a private clinic. Estimates are that about half the abortions performed in Israel are done in private clinics. As of 2014, abortions were paid for entirely by the state for women aged 20 to 33, and subsidized abortions were granted for those outside that age range.”

    http://www.myjewishlearning.com/arti...ewish-thought/

    It sure doesn't seem that the Jewish State is overly concerned with "feticide".
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •