Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Becoming the Right Person vs. Doing Right for Right Reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    I am just pointing to the fact that you are avoiding substance by going for personal attacks. Calling it a "net nanny thing" is just more of the same. And are we here to mind our own business?
    Denigration in lieu of substantive argument is standard practice among certain theists around here. But then Charles, we must try to be understanding. It's all they've got.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I am just pointing to the fact that you are avoiding substance by going for personal attacks. Calling it a "net nanny thing" is just more of the same. And are we here to mind our own business?
      Not going to argue this with you chuck. Stay in the car. Tassman's entire argument is a logical fallacy "Jesus never mentioned it so it isn't a sin". No need to respond with substance if Tassman has none to respond to.

Comment

I am just pointing to the fact that you are avoiding substance by going for personal attacks.
        Charles, why are you assuming that Sparko is doing any such thing? Perhaps there are other reasons than "avoiding substance" for "going for personal attacks." Please keep that in mind. Why are you being so judgmental?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Denigration in lieu of substantive argument is standard practice among certain theists around here. But then Charles, we must try to be understanding. It's all they've got.
          Bravo! Say a bunch of false crap, then crow in vindication when they point out how stupid you're being. You've a certain low cunning, I'll give you that.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Bravo! Say a bunch of false crap, then crow in vindication when they point out how stupid you're being. You've a certain low cunning, I'll give you that.
            There's nothing "low" about my cunning.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Not going to argue this with you chuck. Stay in the car. Tassman's entire argument is a logical fallacy "Jesus never mentioned it so it isn't a sin". No need to respond with substance if Tassman has none to respond to.
              I think Tassman writes for the Babylon Bee. This sounds like his argument:

Jesus Never Said ANYTHING About Felony Home Invasion

Want to know what I’m incredibly tired of? Christians speaking out against felony home invasion. I’ll never understand why self-described “followers of Christ” feel so comfortable rallying around a topic that Jesus never even mentioned.

Can you name one single time Jesus specifically addressed this issue? No, you can’t.

If you disagree with me, then by all means, point in your Bible to the verse where Jesus explicitly says, “Do not engage in either first, second, or third degree home invasion.”

Please, show me the verse where Jesus says, “Do not forcefully enter the house of another with the intent to commit a felony, larceny, or assault once inside.”

Or just save yourself the time, because those verses are nowhere to be found.

Jesus said a lot of things, but He obviously saw felony home invasion as a non-issue. But that certainly doesn’t stop millions and millions of hypocritical Christians from cutting-and-pasting other things He said in order to form a haphazard theology, based on their own personal prejudices and fears, that discriminates against career home invaders and seeks to deprive them of rights essential to their being.

Shame on you!

You call yourselves followers of Jesus, but you speak out against home invaders? Jesus never said ANYTHING about felony home invasion!

But guess what? Here are a few things Jesus really DID say:

“Bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.” –Luke 6:28
              “From one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either.” –Luke 6:29
              “From one who takes away your goods do not demand them back.” –Luke 6:30

Extremely inconvenient verses for anti-home-invaders, wouldn’t you say? These words imply that, if anything, Jesus was in favor of felony home invasion.

For those Christians who are still stuck on this issue, here’s another thing Jesus said: “Judge not.”

If you claim to be a Christian yet you judge home invaders, you need to take a long, hard look in your Bible—and then a long, hard look in the mirror.

http://babylonbee.com/news/jesus-nev...home-invasion/

Comment

• Whoever wrote that forgot Jesus said to forgive those who trespass against you.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Whoever wrote that forgot Jesus said to forgive those who trespass against you.
                  yep. that should have been in there.

Comment

I think Tassman writes for the Babylon Bee. This sounds like his argument
                    Argument via sneer, typical Sparko.

We don’t know where Jesus stood on homosexuality and abortion, because he didn’t say...unlike marriage and divorce where he made his views very clear.

But, Jesus personally never mentions homosexuality even though he lived in a culture where homosexuality was commonplace. Maybe it was important to him, maybe not. But cobbling together bits and pieces from Leviticus and Paul claiming they represent Jesus’ views is not necessarily accurate and many modern Christians seem able to make a case for homosexuality among Christians.

As for abortion, it didn’t equate in any way to the modern Evangelical position. In Jewish law, a fetus attains the status of a full person only at birth. This presumably would have been Jesus’ view, given that he never felt the need to correct it. But we can't know for sure because he never addressed the subject of abortion.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/arti...ewish-thought/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Argument via sneer, typical Sparko.

We don’t know where Jesus stood on homosexuality and abortion, because he didn’t say...unlike marriage and divorce where he made his views very clear.

But, Jesus personally never mentions homosexuality even though he lived in a culture where homosexuality was commonplace. Maybe it was important to him, maybe not. But cobbling together bits and pieces from Leviticus and Paul claiming they represent Jesus’ views is not necessarily accurate and many modern Christians seem able to make a case for homosexuality among Christians.

As for abortion, it didn’t equate in any way to the modern Evangelical position. In Jewish law, a fetus attains the status of a full person only at birth. This presumably would have been Jesus’ view, given that he never felt the need to correct it. But we can't know for sure because he never addressed the subject of abortion.

Like I said, argument from silence. Yet another logical fallacy by Tassman. And your link to a modern Jew's opinion telling you what the ancient hebrews believed is just as much a fallacy. it even says, "At the same time, feticide is prohibited by Jewish law,"

and here is a counter article saying that Jewish law forbids abortion: http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...n-Abortion.htm
                      "If someone is out to kill you or other innocent people, you need to protect those innocent lives, even if it means killing the murderer. This applies to an abortion, as well. A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus."

Comment

Like I said, argument from silence. Yet another logical fallacy by Tassman. And your link to a modern Jew's opinion telling you what the ancient hebrews believed is just as much a fallacy. it even says, "At the same time, feticide is prohibited by Jewish law,"
                        It’s not an argument from silence any more than your assumption that Jesus’ forbade abortion is an argument from silence. But there's no reason to think Jesus thought differently from his fellow Jews. And the traditional Jewish position has been that a fetus only attains the status of a full person only at birth, not at conception.

and here is a counter article saying that Jewish law forbids abortion: http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...n-Abortion.htm

"If someone is out to kill you or other innocent people, you need to protect those innocent lives, even if it means killing the murderer. This applies to an abortion, as well. A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus."

Congratulations, you’ve managed to find a minority website that agrees with you. Sort of! This is the website of the Hasidic Jews...a Jewish religious group that arose during the 18th century in the Ukraine.

“The fact remains that traditionally Jewish law does not share the belief common among abortion opponents that life begins at conception, nor does it legally consider the fetus to be a full person deserving of protections equal those accorded to human beings. In Jewish law, a fetus attains the status of a full person only at birth.”

This is reflected in Israel itself where “all Israeli women seeking to terminate a pregnancy (and have it paid for through state health insurance) must appear before a three-person committee, but in practice nearly all requests are granted. There are no laws limiting when an abortion can be performed, and a woman whose request is denied by the committee can still seek an abortion at a private clinic. Estimates are that about half the abortions performed in Israel are done in private clinics. As of 2014, abortions were paid for entirely by the state for women aged 20 to 33, and subsidized abortions were granted for those outside that age range.”

It sure doesn't seem that the Jewish State is overly concerned with "feticide".

Comment