Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Becoming the Right Person vs. Doing Right for Right Reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming the Right Person vs. Doing Right for Right Reasons

Which is more important? Becoming the right kind of person or doing what is right for the right reasons. Can someone explain why?

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
    Which is more important? Becoming the right kind of person or doing what is right for the right reasons. Can someone explain why?
    What's the difference? It seems to me like the right kind of person will do what is right for the right reasons...

Comment

Presumably, the right kind of person would do the right thing for the right reasons. Which would not preclude the wrong kind of person from doing the right thing for the right reasons, AFAICT
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Presumably, the right kind of person would do the right thing for the right reasons.
        Who determines what constitutes “the right kind of person”?

Which would not preclude the wrong kind of person from doing the right thing for the right reasons, AFAICT
        Or the “wrong kind of person” doing the right thing for the wrong reason.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          That would be determined by what the particular right thing is, meseems.

Or the “wrong kind of person” doing the right thing for the wrong reason.
          True - all the permutations would seemingly work.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

In Christian Theology doing right without being the right kind of person is a good thing but the purpose of a new nature is to be the right kind of person.
            The goal isn't an external moderation of behavior but a change of nature (that which corrupts comes from the internal, not from the external).

I don't even know if my answer is on topic.
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Who or "what" determines. Who is personal, that only a personal source determines what constitutes what is good. "What" is only if what is good is a matter of objective reality. The "Who" and "what" can be one and the same. Or only be one or the other not both.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                Presumably, the right kind of person would do the right thing for the right reasons. Which would not preclude the wrong kind of person from doing the right thing for the right reasons, AFAICT
                I was going to reply to this post, but I was so tired I accidentally amened it. I don't think even Cow Poke has ever made that kind of blunder.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the wrong kind of person can do the right thing for the right reasons. To me it seems like the doing the right thing because you're the right kind of person is the same as doing it for the right reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  I was going to reply to this post, but I was so tired I accidentally amened it. I don't think even Cow Poke has ever made that kind of blunder.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the wrong kind of person can do the right thing for the right reasons. To me it seems like the doing the right thing because you're the right kind of person is the same as doing it for the right reason.
                  I've been trying to think of an example - but in the final analysis, taking the action turns the wrong kind of person into the right kind of person.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
                    The most important thing is that our behavior pleases and glorifies God, the rest is academic...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You are MUCH too kind, sir.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        The most important thing is that our behavior pleases and glorifies God, the rest is academic...
                        Oh really? And what happens when competing religions hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive?
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

What's the difference? It seems to me like the right kind of person will do what is right for the right reasons...
                          I have heard that people sin because they are sinners, which implies that there is a distinction between being a certain kind of person and having a certain kind of behavior. Being the right kind of person is a certain kind of person and doing what is right for the right reasons is a certain kind of behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                            In Christian Theology doing right without being the right kind of person is a good thing but the purpose of a new nature is to be the right kind of person.
                            The goal isn't an external moderation of behavior but a change of nature (that which corrupts comes from the internal, not from the external).

I don't even know if my answer is on topic.
                            Christians are supposed to be like Christ, which implies that they are supposed to be a certain kind of people. A person who is becoming more like Christ will exhibit a certain kind of behavior.

Comment

Oh really? And what happens when competing religions hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive?
                              Tass you are perfectly free to worship Allah, or Thor, or whoever - I will worship the only begotten Son of God - we will see who fares better in the end.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment