Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming the Right Person vs. Doing Right for Right Reasons

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I was going to reply to this post, but I was so tired I accidentally amened it. I don't think even Cow Poke has ever made that kind of blunder.
    You are MUCH too kind, sir.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

2. Amen Chrawnus, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    The most important thing is that our behavior pleases and glorifies God, the rest is academic...
    Oh really? And what happens when competing religions hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive?
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    What's the difference? It seems to me like the right kind of person will do what is right for the right reasons...
    I have heard that people sin because they are sinners, which implies that there is a distinction between being a certain kind of person and having a certain kind of behavior. Being the right kind of person is a certain kind of person and doing what is right for the right reasons is a certain kind of behavior.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    In Christian Theology doing right without being the right kind of person is a good thing but the purpose of a new nature is to be the right kind of person.
    The goal isn't an external moderation of behavior but a change of nature (that which corrupts comes from the internal, not from the external).

I don't even know if my answer is on topic.
    Christians are supposed to be like Christ, which implies that they are supposed to be a certain kind of people. A person who is becoming more like Christ will exhibit a certain kind of behavior.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Oh really? And what happens when competing religions hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive?
    Tass you are perfectly free to worship Allah, or Thor, or whoever - I will worship the only begotten Son of God - we will see who fares better in the end.
    “The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.” D.H. Lawrence

7. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Tass you are perfectly free to worship Allah, or Thor, or whoever - I will worship the only begotten Son of God - we will see who fares better in the end.
    That is, of course, presupposing there is an “end” in the form described by religion.

9. Amen Tassman, Starlight amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The most important thing is that our behavior pleases and glorifies God, the rest is academic...
    That is presupposing God exists. Any reason for doing so?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Sure, a rational universe and your rational mind (such as it is) and your longing for universal moral truths.

“Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London. But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God.” C.S. Lewis
    Last edited by seer; 06-25-2017 at 10:20 PM.
    “The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.” D.H. Lawrence

Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Two words: Cage Match.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    At least as much reason as there is for supposing that He does not. I have always thought agnosticism was way more logical than atheism.*

* My definitions:

Theists = God exists
    Agnostic = I just don't know if God exists
    Atheists = God does not exist

This is based on the meanings of the words rather than some rationalizations.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?