Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Becoming the Right Person vs. Doing Right for Right Reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    I am just pointing to the fact that you are avoiding substance by going for personal attacks. Calling it a "net nanny thing" is just more of the same. And are we here to mind our own business?
    Denigration in lieu of substantive argument is standard practice among certain theists around here. But then Charles, we must try to be understanding. It's all they've got.

Comment

I am just pointing to the fact that you are avoiding substance by going for personal attacks. Calling it a "net nanny thing" is just more of the same. And are we here to mind our own business?
      Not going to argue this with you chuck. Stay in the car. Tassman's entire argument is a logical fallacy "Jesus never mentioned it so it isn't a sin". No need to respond with substance if Tassman has none to respond to.

Comment

I am just pointing to the fact that you are avoiding substance by going for personal attacks.
        Charles, why are you assuming that Sparko is doing any such thing? Perhaps there are other reasons than "avoiding substance" for "going for personal attacks." Please keep that in mind. Why are you being so judgmental?
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Denigration in lieu of substantive argument is standard practice among certain theists around here. But then Charles, we must try to be understanding. It's all they've got.
          Bravo! Say a bunch of false crap, then crow in vindication when they point out how stupid you're being. You've a certain low cunning, I'll give you that.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Bravo! Say a bunch of false crap, then crow in vindication when they point out how stupid you're being. You've a certain low cunning, I'll give you that.
            There's nothing "low" about my cunning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Not going to argue this with you chuck. Stay in the car. Tassman's entire argument is a logical fallacy "Jesus never mentioned it so it isn't a sin". No need to respond with substance if Tassman has none to respond to.
              I think Tassman writes for the Babylon Bee. This sounds like his argument:

Jesus Never Said ANYTHING About Felony Home Invasionhttp://babylonbee.com/news/jesus-nev...home-invasion/

Comment

• Whoever wrote that forgot Jesus said to forgive those who trespass against you.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Whoever wrote that forgot Jesus said to forgive those who trespass against you.
                  yep. that should have been in there.

Comment

I think Tassman writes for the Babylon Bee. This sounds like his argument
                    Argument via sneer, typical Sparko.http://www.myjewishlearning.com/arti...ewish-thought/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Like I said, argument from silence. Yet another logical fallacy by Tassman. And your link to a modern Jew's opinion telling you what the ancient hebrews believed is just as much a fallacy. it even says, "At the same time, feticide is prohibited by Jewish law,"

and here is a counter article saying that Jewish law forbids abortion: http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...n-Abortion.htm
                      "If someone is out to kill you or other innocent people, you need to protect those innocent lives, even if it means killing the murderer. This applies to an abortion, as well. A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus."

Comment

Like I said, argument from silence. Yet another logical fallacy by Tassman. And your link to a modern Jew's opinion telling you what the ancient hebrews believed is just as much a fallacy. it even says, "At the same time, feticide is prohibited by Jewish law,"
                        and here is a counter article saying that Jewish law forbids abortion: http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...n-Abortion.htm

"If someone is out to kill you or other innocent people, you need to protect those innocent lives, even if it means killing the murderer. This applies to an abortion, as well. A fetus is a potential life, so we are not allowed to kill a fetus."
                        Sort of! http://www.myjewishlearning.com/arti...ewish-thought/

It sure doesn't seem that the Jewish State is overly concerned with "feticide".

Comment