Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump to Get Second SCOTUS Appointment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump to Get Second SCOTUS Appointment?

Big cases, retirement rumors as Supreme Court nears finish

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court enters its final week of work before a long summer hiatus with action expected on the Trump administration's travel ban and a decision due in a separation of church and state case that arises from a Missouri church playground.

The biggest news of all, though, would be if Justice Anthony Kennedy were to use the court's last public session on Monday to announce his retirement.

To be sure, Kennedy has given no public sign that he will retire this year and give President Donald Trump his second high court pick in the first months of his administration. Kennedy's departure would allow conservatives to take firm control of the court.

But Kennedy turns 81 next month and has been on the court for nearly 30 years. Several of his former law clerks have said they think he is contemplating stepping down in the next year or so. Kennedy and his clerks were gathering over the weekend for a reunion that was pushed up a year and helped spark talk he might be leaving the court.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Kennedy's certainly been mostly a disappointment to conservatives.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Too bad Ginsburger didn't keep her promise to move to New Zealand if Trump was elected. I'm sure she and Starbright would be good company.
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        Too bad Ginsburger didn't keep her promise to move to New Zealand if Trump was elected. I'm sure she and Starbright would be good company.
        Did ANY of those who promised to move actually vacate?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Did ANY of those who promised to move actually vacate?
          None that I know of, alas...
          I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

I think it's a bit premature - I suspect he'd have retired in the Obama admin if he were serious about retiring.

But who knows...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Big cases, retirement rumors as Supreme Court nears finish

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court enters its final week of work before a long summer hiatus with action expected on the Trump administration's travel ban and a decision due in a separation of church and state case that arises from a Missouri church playground.

The biggest news of all, though, would be if Justice Anthony Kennedy were to use the court's last public session on Monday to announce his retirement.

To be sure, Kennedy has given no public sign that he will retire this year and give President Donald Trump his second high court pick in the first months of his administration. Kennedy's departure would allow conservatives to take firm control of the court.

But Kennedy turns 81 next month and has been on the court for nearly 30 years. Several of his former law clerks have said they think he is contemplating stepping down in the next year or so. Kennedy and his clerks were gathering over the weekend for a reunion that was pushed up a year and helped spark talk he might be leaving the court.
              Well, lets hope he doesn't step down until Trump is impeached.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                I think it's a bit premature - I suspect he'd have retired in the Obama admin if he were serious about retiring.

But who knows...
                At this point it is nothing but a rumor. Still, keep in mind, he is in his 80s so any decision to retire might not be motivated by political considerations

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I'm pretty sure he votes with the conservatives more than with the liberals (in cases where the court is split down those lines). Considering him "mostly a disappointment" seems dubious when it seems it should be the opposite. Sure, he's not Scalia, but he's certainly not a Ginsburg either.

By the way, did you know that Scalia was confirmed 98-0, Kennedy 97-0, and Ginsburg 96-3?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    His pushing the idea of using foreign laws as an aid in interpreting what is constitutional has always perplexed me.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      So you expect that he'll be immortal?

And you do realize that a President Pence is far, far more likely to nominate judges who are considerably more hard-line conservative than Trump would. IOW, be very, very careful what you wish for since it often has a habit of coming around and biting you in the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Jimmy, you really shouldn't torture yourself with such impossible dreams. And, IF, by some miracle, Trump were impeached, Pence would be the one to do the appointing.

Comment

Jimmy, you really shouldn't torture yourself with such impossible dreams. And, IF, by some miracle, Trump were impeached, Pence would be the one to do the appointing.
                          Don't be to sure, Pence has had to lawyer up as well.

Comment

JimL, come back to the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                              So... never?
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment