Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump to Get Second SCOTUS Appointment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a little research. Ginsburg is 84 and Breyer 79 - along with Kennedy, those are the three oldest justices on the Court.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      I did a little research. Ginsburg is 84 and Breyer 79 - along with Kennedy, those are the three oldest justices on the Court.
      Ginsburg has health issues as well having been treated for both colon and pancreatic cancer but has said she won't step down because her work helps her cope with the death of her husband (who passed away in 2010)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Any of these conservative judges showing even the slightest hint of an interest in repealing Roe vs Wade?
        Are we talking about judges on the court or prospective judges? Of the judges on the court, only Clarence Thomas has; the key case is Gonzales v. Carhart. In that, the decision was made to restrict Roe v. Wade somewhat, but Thomas and Scalia wanted to go further and overturn the entire thing. Scalia obviously isn't around and Gorsuch is an unknown entity in regards to it.

In terms of prospective judges, William Pryor (who was on Trump's list of possible judges to nominate) is known for being very much against Roe v. Wade, labeling it the "worst abomination in the history of constitutional law." I don't know about the other judges that were on Trump's list of potential nominees.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          Are we talking about judges on the court or prospective judges? Of the judges on the court, only Clarence Thomas has; the key case is Gonzales v. Carhart. In that, the decision was made to restrict Roe v. Wade somewhat, but Thomas and Scalia wanted to go further and overturn the entire thing. Scalia obviously isn't around and Gorsuch is an unknown entity in regards to it.

In terms of prospective judges, William Pryor (who was on Trump's list of possible judges to nominate) is known for being very much against Roe v. Wade, labeling it the "worst abomination in the history of constitutional law." I don't know about the other judges that were on Trump's list of potential nominees.
          I seem to remember Gorsuch making a comment at some point about not wanting to overturn RvW, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            I seem to remember Gorsuch making a comment at some point about not wanting to overturn RvW, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
            Yes, he flat out said that he "accepted Roe V Wade as "the law of the land"".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Saying that something is the law of the land still leaves a good deal of wiggle room.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Saying that something is the law of the land still leaves a good deal of wiggle room.
                Especially for a Supreme Court Justice.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  One can hope.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Well, lets hope he doesn't step down until Trump is impeached.
                    Jim, would you mind expanding on that here, please? ----> http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...hment-of-Trump

Comment