Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bernie and wife under FBI Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    sure negatives can be proven. I can prove I was not in Timbuktu at the scene of the murder so I am innocent.
    That's only if you have positive proof that you were somewhere else.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

sure negatives can be proven. I can prove I was not in Timbuktu at the scene of the murder so I am innocent.
      You say your passport has no stamp? I say that you traveled to Timbuktu on a fake passport. You say you people saw you in America? I say you paid them to be your alibi. You say no one saw you in Timbuktu? I say that you must have traveled there in disguise...

I sincerely hope that you are never accused of a crime, or defend yourself in court.

The point being, presumption of innocence is not merely about legal convention, but also more generally about logic and burden of proof.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        That's only if you have positive proof that you were somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
          Hi!

So here's it works.
          Hi!!!!

So this is about how stupid you are being!

It is of course, literally true that some is morally innocent or guilty.
          Thank you for conceding case!! Oh wait, you still have idiocy to display

Presumption of innocence is not merely a legal construct, but also logical one. It is such, because negatives cannot be proven.

What does proof of logic have anything to do here?? What court demands that high standard of proof/disproof??

Look, you made stupid point and got caught. It can be end of story!! No need to try and bring in 'logical proof', pretend it's what courts do and try to bull[censored] way through.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
            You say your passport has no stamp? I say that you traveled to Timbuktu on a fake passport. You say you people saw you in America? I say you paid them to be your alibi. You say no one saw you in Timbuktu? I say that you must have traveled there in disguise...
            that is just you being ornery, it has nothing to do with logic or proving a negative. Using that standard you can't prove a positive. I just have to make up excuses why you are lying.

I sincerely hope that you are never accused of a crime, or defend yourself in court.
            I think I would fare better than you with that sort of logic.

Comment

that is just you being ornery, it has nothing to do with logic or proving a negative. Using that standard you can't prove a positive. I just have to make up excuses why you are lying.
              Jin-roh is correct about the universal negative.
              It is a common logical fallacy with which I know you're familiar.

I'm not understanding your objection here.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                Jin-roh is correct about the universal negative.
                It is a common logical fallacy with which I know you're familiar.

I'm not understanding your objection here.
                because it is not actually a logical fallacy.

If I say Santa Clause is not in the bathroom closet, I can easily prove he is not by looking in the closet and showing you he is not there. see? No santa clause.

Comment

because it is not actually a logical fallacy.

If I say Santa Clause is not in the bathroom closet, I can easily prove he is not by looking in the closet and showing you he is not there. see? No santa clause.
                  Universal negative.
                  Example Proposition: No S is P

You could prove that Santa Claus isn't currently in your closet but you cannot prove that he's never been in your closet.
                  Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Universal negative.
                    Example Proposition: No S is P

You could prove that Santa Claus isn't currently in your closet but you cannot prove that he's never been in your closet.
                    oh so you are qualifying it all of a sudden?

Well yeah if I had a camera in the closet or a santa clause detector in there from the time it was built I could prove he has never been in my closet.

read this:

https://departments.bloomu.edu/philo...eanegative.pdf
                    Last edited by Sparko; 06-28-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

This is all reminding me of the time when Magellan004 claimed I was wrong when I said if I found my keys in my pocket it proves that they aren't over in the desk drawer.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        This is all reminding me of the time when Magellan004 claimed I was wrong when I said if I found my keys in my pocket it proves that they aren't over in the desk drawer.
                        Did you know electromagnets are illegal in Australia?
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Did you know electromagnets are illegal in Australia?
                          And that evolutionary theory teaches that starfish come from stars breeding with fish and the horses developed longer legs since the Eocene one leg at a time.

m004 starfish.jpg Magellan HorseMutation1.jpg
                          illustrations that m004 used while making his case
                          which I was only too happy to save for posterity

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

oh so you are qualifying it all of a sudden?
                            I've only ever referred to it as a universal negative.
                            But then again, I'm a bit more precise than the sloppy Jin-roh.

Comment

I've only ever referred to it as a universal negative.
                              But then again, I'm a bit more precise than the sloppy Jin-roh.
                              still, as that paper shows, a universal negative is still logically provable, albeit harder and could be physically impossible depending on the topic. But it isn't a logical fallacy or illogical.

Comment

still, as that paper shows, a universal negative is still logically provable, albeit harder and could be physically impossible depending on the topic. But it isn't a logical fallacy or illogical.
                                "You can't prove a negative!" is a popular rallying cry of ignorant atheists (is there any other kind?) who are desperate to avoid shouldering the burden of proof.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment