Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CNN Caught Lying Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    There has been a lot of retracting of stories about Russia recently: https://theintercept.com/2017/06/27/...russia-threat/

Awww, there go all Jim's dreams of impeachment...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Heck no. It takes much more than a small setback to dash the dreams of the fervent.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Let's not count Trump out completely. He does have a way of putting his foot in it so it is very possible he may yet do something that could get him impeached. The problem for the Democrats is that they have been crying wolf now for so long that there just might not be any public support for it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Let's not count Trump out completely. He does have a way of putting his foot in it so it is very possible he may yet do something that could get him impeached.
          I doubt it. He's unguarded and unfiltered, but he's not criminal.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            The story wasn't wrong on one or two points, it was practically a work of fiction from beginning to end and should have never been published in the first place.
            Hyperbole big time. CNN acted properly in response to their internal investigation of the problem. Your accusation of broader Fake News is unwarranted and undocumented.

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/26/media/cnn-announcement-retracted-article/index.html

An internal investigation by CNN management found that some standard editorial processes were not followed when the article was published, people briefed on the results of the investigation said.

The story, which reported that Congress was investigating a "Russian investment fund with ties to Trump officials," cited a single anonymous source.

These types of stories are typically reviewed by several departments within CNN -- including fact-checkers, journalism standards experts and lawyers -- before publication.

This breakdown in editorial workflow disturbed the CNN executives who learned about it.
            In a staff meeting Monday afternoon, investigative unit members were told that the retraction did not mean the facts of the story were necessarily wrong. Rather, it meant that "the story wasn't solid enough to publish as-is," one of the people briefed on the investigation said.

The reporting about the Russian investment fund and Trump officials was not relayed on CNN's television channels, but it was published on the web and shared on social media.

On Friday, one of the people named in the story, Trump ally Anthony Scaramucci, disputed Frank's reporting and said, "I did nothing wrong."

Friday night, once it was determined that editorial processes were not followed, CNN deleted the story from CNN.com. Soon thereafter, the story was officially retracted and replaced with an editor's note.

The piece "did not meet CNN's editorial standards and has been retracted," the note said. "Links to the story have been disabled."

The editor's note also included an apology to Scaramucci.

"CNN did the right thing. Classy move. Apology accepted," Scaramucci tweeted the next morning. "Everyone makes mistakes. Moving on."

The departures of Haris, Lichtblau and Frank are likely to come as a surprise to colleagues, particularly given the reputations of the three men.

Frank worked for USA Today and Newsday for three decades, pursuing investigations and covering the Iraq war as an embedded reporter, before coming to work at CNN.

He was part of an ambitious new investigative unit that was created last winter, bringing together existing teams from within the company and new hires like Lichtblau. A veteran of The New York Times who won a Pulitzer Prize for national reporting in 2006, Lichtblau joined CNN just three months ago.

Haris, who was named the executive editor of CNN Investigates in January, was previously the executive editor of CNNMoney.

"On Friday, CNN retracted a story published by my team. As Executive Editor of that team, I have resigned," Haris said in a statement. "I've been with CNN since 2001, and am sure about one thing: This is a news organization that prizes accuracy and fairness above all else. I am leaving, but will carry those principles wherever I go."

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I doubt it. He's unguarded and unfiltered, but he's not criminal.
              Trump University?!?!!?!? Money bought him out of this one!
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Trump University?!?!!?!? Money bought him out of this one!
                Settled out of court with no admission of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  CNN acted properly in response to their internal investigation of the problem.
                  The "internal investigation" only happened because Breitbart busted them for their fake news story. And before you think Breitbart is just tooting its own horn here, they are widely credited for the take down.

Source: Washington Post

The CNN exclusive — which hung from one unnamed source — didn’t take long to wither. Breitbart News’s Matthew Boyle bombed the CNN piece as baseless.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...n-russia-ties/

Source: CBS News

The story had been quickly questioned both internally and externally, including by the conservative site Breitbart News.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cnn-jour...ny-scaramucci/

Comment

CNN Anchor: Trump Putting Journalists In Danger; "Declaration Of War On Media" Has "Emboldened" War Zones

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...war_zones.html
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The "internal investigation" only happened because Breitbart busted them for their fake news story. And before you think Breitbart is just tooting its own horn here, they are widely credited for the take down.

Source: Washington Post

The CNN exclusive — which hung from one unnamed source — didn’t take long to wither. Breitbart News’s Matthew Boyle bombed the CNN piece as baseless.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...n-russia-ties/

Source: CBS News

The story had been quickly questioned both internally and externally, including by the conservative site Breitbart News.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cnn-jour...ny-scaramucci/

The New York Post is saying that CNN retracted the story not because journalistic standards or because it was the right thing to do but rather they are scared of being hit with a multi-million dollar libel suit.

Source: CNN faced $100M lawsuit over botched Russia story

The specter of a $100 million libel suit scared CNN into retracting a poorly reported story that slimed an ally of President Trump’s — and forcing out the staffers responsible for it, The Post has learned.

The cable network’s coverage of Trump transition team member Anthony Scaramucci came amid federal scrutiny of corporate parent Time Warner’s pending purchase by AT&T — and the widespread belief among media execs that CNN President Jeff Zucker can’t survive a merger.

CNN immediately caved after Scaramucci, a financier and frequent network guest, cried foul and threatened to take legal action, sources said Tuesday.

Scaramucci got an unusual public apology but still hired a top Manhattan lawyer to put further pressure on CNN and “look after [his] interests in this matter,” one source said.

Sources also said the three journalists responsible for the retracted story — reporter Tom Frank, editor Eric Lichtblau and Lex Haris, who headed the CNN Investigates unit — were urged to resign.

“They called them in and said they’d pay out their contracts, but they should leave immediately,” one source said.

Source

Of course, this is yet another story based on what unnamed sources allege.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        CNN Anchor: Trump Putting Journalists In Danger; "Declaration Of War On Media" Has "Emboldened" War Zones

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...war_zones.html
                        Seems to be echoing this: The Atlantic’s Editor In Chief: Trump Is Going To Be Responsible for Violence Against Journalists

Comment

Journalists have done more than just about any other class to stir up violence against peaceful right wing protesters. Now they're starting to worry someone might hit back. If it happens, it'll be on their hands. You can't declare war on a group of people that large and expect no casualties.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Journalists have done more than just about any other class to stir up violence against peaceful right wing protesters. Now they're starting to worry someone might hit back. If it happens, it'll be on their hands. You can't declare war on a group of people that large and expect no casualties.
                            Trump will be guilty of encouraging violence against journalists by using the term 'Fake News' whereas when journalists call the right 'murderers' and violence ensues it isn't the journalist's fault.
                            Must be nice to live in that world of absolutely no accountability.
                            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Of course, this is yet another story based on what unnamed sources allege.
                              Good! Then Tassy, Jimmy, and Starry will believe it!

Comment