Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The flaws of NT-based morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The other problem is that skeptics are largely (and often willfully) ignorant of proper Biblical interpretation,
    What we are ignorant of is any reason to think one particular sect of Christians has any more authority than another to decide which interpretation is the proper interpretation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      what a lot of liberals don't realize is that much of the confederate symbolism (flags, statues, place names) came about as part of the reconciliation between north and south. Honoring the soldiers of the south was a way to embrace the south back into the Union, to say all is forgiven, welcome back brother, let's have peace. By destroying the statues, taking down the flags, renaming the streets and buildings, they are taking all that away.
      What a load of rubbish. Far from being an attempt at "reconciliation between north and south" they constitute an act of defiance...unfinished business as it were. It was precisely because of this that the Supremacists initially congregated in Lee Park by a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee for their hate-filled, Alt-Right rally.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
        Originally posted by Mountain Man
        The other problem is that skeptics are largely (and often willfully) ignorant of proper Biblical interpretation, so the accusation of "selectivity" is more often than not a knee-jerk reaction rather than a reasoned rebuttal.
        What we are ignorant of is any reason to think one particular sect of Christians has any more authority than another to decide which interpretation is the proper interpretation.
        And you only reinforce Mountain Man's point. You seem to have no clue that biblical hermeneutics is a well developed field, with a generally accepted methodology, generally leading to similar conclusions by careful exegetes.
        "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          lol. typical jimmy. deny! then admit he doesn't even know the truth.
          Typical Sparko, doesn't understand what a hypothetical argument is.
          Yes Jim. study some history.
          History has nothing to do with whether it is right or wrong to glorify the treasonous white supremacists, and the flag they fought under. Should the Germans glorify Hitler with statues and Nazi flags flying because its their heritage? I don't think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
            You seem to have no clue that biblical hermeneutics is a well developed field, with a generally accepted methodology, generally leading to similar conclusions by careful exegetes.
            I take my clues from what those exegetes say about how they defend their conclusions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
              And you only reinforce Mountain Man's point. You seem to have no clue that biblical hermeneutics is a well developed field, with a generally accepted methodology, generally leading to similar conclusions by careful exegetes.
              Skeptics like to start with the obviously absurd premise that every proposed interpretation is on equal footing and that there is no reliable method for determining which is probably the correct one, and that when faced with competing ideas, we should throw our hands up in despair. Funny how they don't approach science with that same mindset. Of course they'll say:

"But in science , we can do experiments and eliminate propositions that are false!"

While it's true that you can't conduct experiments on Biblical texts, this is a red herring which ignores the larger point that scientists will study a matter in order to acquire additional knowledge until they arrive at what is most likely the truth, which is exactly what we do when interpreting scripture.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Skeptics like to start with the obviously absurd premise that every proposed interpretation is on equal footing...
                That is an obviously absurd premise - which is why I strongly doubt skeptics start with it. I know I don't.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                  Originally posted by kbertsche
                  You seem to have no clue that biblical hermeneutics is a well developed field, with a generally accepted methodology, generally leading to similar conclusions by careful exegetes.
                  I take my clues from what those exegetes say about how they defend their conclusions.
                  Are you sure that you are looking at the reasoning of "careful exegetes", rather than off-the-cuff comments by those who are careless or untrained?
                  "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    That is an obviously absurd premise - which is why I strongly doubt skeptics start with it. I know I don't.
                    I agree that the premise is obviously absurd, but many skeptics argue from it nonetheless. Personally, I suspect most of them are being disingenuous when they do so.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      What a load of rubbish. Far from being an attempt at "reconciliation between north and south" they constitute an act of defiance...unfinished business as it were. It was precisely because of this that the Supremacists initially congregated in Lee Park by a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee for their hate-filled, Alt-Right rally.
                      Tassman you have zero understanding of the Civil War. It was a horrible time where brother fought against brother. It was not just about racism and slavery. It was a complicated situation. After the war, both sides wanted to repair the damage and wanted to heal the wounds. Both sides were American and there were many deaths on both sides. They wanted to reconcile and honor the dead from both sides. There is even a town called Gettysburg, South Dakota where veterans from the North and the South got together and started a town just to reconcile. The police there today wear badges with crossed US and Confederate flags. When the protestors tried to get them to remove the flags and symbols of the confederacy, the town refused because it was founded on the reconciliation of both sides and they want to honor the veterans who started the town.

Comment

I've seen the argument presented often enough to know it's common among skeptics.

Comment

• Many? Some? A few? Are you talking about the majority, or just the JM-equivalent strata like Boris?
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Typical Sparko, doesn't understand what a hypothetical argument is.
                            it shows you don't even know what really happened or why.
                            History has nothing to do with whether it is right or wrong to glorify the treasonous white supremacists, and the flag they fought under. Should the Germans glorify Hitler with statues and Nazi flags flying because its their heritage? I don't think so.
                            Hilarious. You call the south Treasonous because they wanted to secede from the Union. Yet you liberals are cheering on Calexit to get California to secede from the Union. And go around shouting, "Not My President!" and doing everything they can to undermine the duly elected US government.

Are YOU a traitor, JimL? Are the Califorians traitors? The Antifa? the Democrats?

Comment

Many? Some? A few? Are you talking about the majority, or just the JM-equivalent strata like Boris?
                              All I can tell you is that I've encountered that sort of argument often enough to convince me that it's a prevalent view among skeptics. It's not like I can give you exact numbers, but my gut tells me it's greater than 50%.

Comment

All I can tell you is that I've encountered that sort of argument often enough to convince me that it's a prevalent view among skeptics. It's not like I can give you exact numbers, but my gut tells me it's greater than 50%.
                                Oh sure. "A lot of people are saying" . . . to quote your hero Trump.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment