Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The flaws of NT-based morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I think you'll find that Christians are generally opposed to the practice of selective interpretation.
    When asked, yes. But history gives another answer.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
      First, don't try to move your goal posts by introducing other religions! Your conversation was specific to CHRISTIANS; you claimed that CHRISTIAN groups have changed their view of slavery, and your previous comment in this immediate subthread was in response to MountainMan's claim that CHRISTIANS reject "selective interpretation" of the Bible.
      The point being made is that belief systems based upon revelation, whether CHRISTIAN or any other religion...or New Age woo...are not able to be empirically verified.

Second, do you realize that Christianity also has experts in relevant fields (biblical languages, biblical history, theology) who dedicate their lives and careers to the correct interpretation of the biblical text?
      As do all the major religions but they are all based on the assumption that God exists. And, since we have no evidence for that, the rest is commentary on an assumed entity.

Third, I agree with you that different denominations within Christianity hold mutually exclusive beliefs. But is this substantially different than the situation in science, history, literature, or any other field of study? Have you ever heard of controversies within science, with different factions holding mutually exclusive views? This is the case with EVERY new theory or idea! Usually these controversies are resolved over time, but it can take many decades, and there can still be hold-outs. Alvarez' dinosaur-meteor theory took a full decade to become generally accepted, and there are still some holdouts today who do not accept a causal connection.
      True! But, unlike theological/biblical beliefs, in science the competing hypotheses can be ultimately resolved as established science...to the extent we can confidently put a man on the moon. We can never have this degree of certainly re religious texts regardless of the religion or the quality of scholarship. As well, scholarship based upon Critical-Historical methodology does not recognise miraculous components (essential to most religions) as valid history
      Last edited by Tassman; 08-11-2017, 12:28 AM.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        The point being made is that belief systems based upon revelation, whether CHRISTIAN or any other religion...or New Age woo...are not able to be empirically verified.
        Your comments were in regards to Christian biblical interpretation. My responses here are restricted to Christian biblical interpretation..

"Empirical verification" is a red herring in this context. We are simply discussing how to correctly interpret a text. We are not discussing how the text came to be, whether or not it is believed, or whether or not it is true.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        True! But, unlike theological/biblical beliefs, in science the competing hypotheses can be ultimately resolved as established science...to the extent we can confidently put a man on the moon. We can never have this degree of certainly re religious texts regardless of the religion or the quality of scholarship.
        I predict that we will each have complete certainty re religious texts at the instant that we die.
        "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          You assume that the majority of Christians back then were OK with slavery.
          The evidence indicates there were may across the globe that justified slavery with Biblical references, and pragmatic economic and colonial benefit.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            The evidence indicates there were may across the globe that justified slavery with Biblical references, and pragmatic economic and colonial benefit.
            The evidence indicates that you often have no idea what the heck you're talking about.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Your comments were in regards to Christian biblical interpretation. My responses here are restricted to Christian biblical interpretation.
              Regardless of the religious tradition, you will never have the certainly that only scientific methodology can bring, which was the point.

"Empirical verification" is a red herring in this context. We are simply discussing how to correctly interpret a text. We are not discussing how the text came to be, whether or not it is believed, or whether or not it is true.
              This is you shifting the goalposts. We are not just “discussing how to correctly interpret a text”, you were responding to my question: “who decides which interpretation is true”. The correct answer is that, unlike science, there is no way to test which interpretation is true...there’s merely consensus opinion.

I predict that we will each have complete certainty re religious texts at the instant that we die.
              I predict that we will never be in a position to know.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You assume that the majority of Christians back then were OK with slavery.
                Plenty of Christians back then were OK with slavery. There is considerable evidence that slavery has been justified throughout history with biblical references. The Southern Baptist Convention alone was founded primarily to retain slavery and this is the largest Protestant body in the United States.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I think you'll find that Christians are generally opposed to the practice of selective interpretation.
                  They all say so, but they all select their interpretations. What they really oppose is anyone's selection but their own.

Comment

This is you shifting the goalposts. We are not just “discussing how to correctly interpret a text”, you were responding to my question: “who decides which interpretation is true”. The correct answer is that, unlike science, there is no way to test which interpretation is true...there’s merely consensus opinion.
                    The question of "how to correctly interpret a text" assumes that there is a correct (i.e. "true") interpretation. We are talking about the same thing; I have not shifted your goalposts.

You have agreed that science often has conflicting interpretations of data, with ongoing disagreement on which interpretation is correct. Are you now changing your mind about this?
                    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

The question of "how to correctly interpret a text" assumes that there is a correct (i.e. "true") interpretation. We are talking about the same thing; I have not shifted your goalposts.
                      The question was who decides which is the correct interpretation?

You have agreed that science often has conflicting interpretations of data, with ongoing disagreement on which interpretation is correct. Are you now changing your mind about this?
                      What I agreed was that science, unlike textual interpretation, generally arrives at “settled science”, which is sufficiently reliable to put a man on the moon.

Comment

Plenty of Christians back then were OK with slavery. There is considerable evidence that slavery has been justified throughout history with biblical references. The Southern Baptist Convention alone was founded primarily to retain slavery and this is the largest Protestant body in the United States.
                        Tass, the Southern Baptists were not the majority of Christians back in the day. And this does not change the fact that it was largely Christians who populated the Abolition movement - who actually brought slavery down, unlike your enlightenment friends who did squat. And slavery was pretty much universal back then, just about every culture practiced it in one form or another. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The question was who decides which is the correct interpretation?
                          Agreed.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          What I agreed was that science, unlike textual interpretation, generally arrives at “settled science”, which is sufficiently reliable to put a man on the moon.
                          Then you completely missed my point, which was that science often has long periods of "unsettled science", with different groups holding to differing, mutually exclusive interpretations.

Comment

Tass, the Southern Baptists were not the majority of Christians back in the day. And this does not change the fact that it was largely Christians who populated the Abolition movement - who actually brought slavery down, unlike your enlightenment friends who did squat. And slavery was pretty much universal back then, just about every culture practiced it in one form or another. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery
                            The undeniable fact remains that the majority of Christians over many centuries were OK with slavery and there’s considerable evidence that often slavery was justified with biblical references. As well, judging by the current white Supremacist protests in Charlottesville over the removal of Robert E Lee’s statue, many still are OK with slavery and anti-black discrimination. Steve Bannon must be pleased.

Comment

Then you completely missed my point, which was that science often has long periods of "unsettled science", with different groups holding to differing, mutually exclusive interpretations.
                              The point is that science has the methodology to arrive at verified facts sufficient to enable major technological advances, whereas differing, mutually exclusive textual interpretations cannot have such certainty.

Comment

Over time this has been overwhelmingly resolved. The above is appealing to a 'high fog index' which does not exist in present science.
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment