Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The word "Jew" in the Bible

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The word "Jew" in the Bible

I'm doing some research on the word "Jew" in the Bible.

I found this:

The word Jew did not exist until 1514 A.D. ...

"According to Jewish-born Historian Benjamin H. Freedman, author of Facts Are Facts:

“The best known 18th century editions of the New Testament in English are the Rheims (Douai) Edition and the King James Authorized Edition. The Rheims (Douai) translation of the New Testament into English was first printed in 1582 but the word ‘Jew’ did not appear in it.

“The King James Authorized translation of the New Testament into English was begun in 1604 and first published in 1611. The word ‘Jew’ did not appear in it either. The word ‘Jew’ appeared in both these well known editions in their 18th century revised versions for the first times."

Question: Does the word "Jew" appear in the early manuscripts?

Thanks.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post

I found this:

"According to Jewish-born Historian Benjamin H. Freedman, author of Facts Are Facts:

“The best known 18th century editions of the New Testament in English are the Rheims (Douai) Edition and the King James Authorized Edition. The Rheims (Douai) translation of the New Testament into English was first printed in 1582 but the word ‘Jew’ did not appear in it.

“The King James Authorized translation of the New Testament into English was begun in 1604 and first published in 1611. The word ‘Jew’ did not appear in it either. The word ‘Jew’ appeared in both these well known editions in their 18th century revised versions for the first times."

Thanks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew_(word)

The term Jew passed into the English language from the Greek Ioudaios and Latin Iudaeus, from which the Old French giu was derived after dropping the letter "d", and later after a variety of forms found in early English (from about the year 1000) such as: Iudea, Gyu, Giu, Iuu, Iuw, Iew developed into the English word “Jew.” It thus ultimately originates in the Biblical Hebrew word Yehudi meaning "from the Tribe of Judah", "from the Kingdom of Judah", or "Jew". The Jewish ethnonym in Hebrew is יהודים‎, Yehudim (plural of יהודי‎, Yehudi).

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew_(word)

The term Jew passed into the English language from the Greek Ioudaios and Latin Iudaeus, from which the Old French giu was derived after dropping the letter "d", and later after a variety of forms found in early English (from about the year 1000) such as: Iudea, Gyu, Giu, Iuu, Iuw, Iew developed into the English word “Jew.” It thus ultimately originates in the Biblical Hebrew word Yehudi meaning "from the Tribe of Judah", "from the Kingdom of Judah", or "Jew". The Jewish ethnonym in Hebrew is יהודים‎, Yehudim (plural of יהודי‎, Yehudi).
    Why doesn't it appear in the King James Version?

Thanks.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    what did they use instead of "jew"?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I found this:

Thanks.
    The word "Jew" is the modern English version of the Old English Iudeas which comes from the Latin word Iudaeus. Hebrew and Greek obviously don't use the same alphabet as Latin, so, the word "Jew" as it appears in English would not appear in any non-English manuscripts.

The Hebrew word for "Jew" is יְהוּדִ֔י. The Greek word for Jew is ιουδαῖος. Are you trying to figure out if either the Hebrew or Greek word show up in early manuscripts?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Thanks.
    It does. Here's is a scan of Esther 2:5 from an original 1611 copy of the King James from https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Ester_2_1611/

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    It does. Here's is a scan of Esther 2:5 from an original 1611 copy of the King James from https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Ester_2_1611/

Great!

Why is Jew spelled Iew?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Thanks.
    It does appear there. It appears in multiple English versions from the 1500's

It appears as "Jewe" in the 1568 Bishop's Bible

http://www.bibles-online.net/1568/Ne...ment/6-Romans/

Also as "Jewe" in the 1541 Great Bible

http://www.bibles-online.net/1541/Ne...ment/6-Romans/

And as "Jew" in the 1611 King James bible

http://www.bibles-online.net/1611/Ne...ment/6-Romans/

And it appears as "Iewe" in the 1390 Wycliffe Manuscript

http://www.bibles-online.net/1390/NewTestament/1thru50/

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

9. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Great!

Why is Jew spelled Iew?
    It isn't. The 1611 KJV printed verses in Gothic typeface. In that typeface both I's and J's have the same appearance. A visual distinction between the letter "I" and "J" in English didn't come along until 1633. If you notice, the words Jerusalem, Jeconiah, Jair, and Judah use the same font.

You can read more about these differences on the Wikipedia page,

The original printing was made before English spelling was standardized, and when printers, as a matter of course, expanded and contracted the spelling of the same words in different places, so as to achieve an even column of text.[69] They set v for initial u and v, and u for u and v everywhere else. They used long ſ for non-final s.[70] The glyph j occurs only after i, as in the final letter in a Roman numeral. Punctuation was relatively heavy, and differed from current practice. When space needed to be saved, the printers sometimes used ye for the, (replacing the Middle English thorn with the continental y), set ã for an or am (in the style of scribe's shorthand), and set & for and. On the contrary, on a few occasions, they appear to have inserted these words when they thought a line needed to be padded. Later printings regularized these spellings; the punctuation has also been standardized, but still varies from current usage norms.

The first printing used a black letter typeface instead of a roman typeface, which itself made a political and a religious statement. Like the Great Bible and the Bishops' Bible, the Authorized Version was "appointed to be read in churches". It was a large folio volume meant for public use, not private devotion; the weight of the type mirrored the weight of establishment authority behind it.[citation needed] However, smaller editions and roman-type editions followed rapidly, e.g. quarto roman-type editions of the Bible in 1612.[71] This contrasted with the Geneva Bible, which was the first English Bible printed in a roman typeface (although black-letter editions, particularly in folio format, were issued later).

If you don't mind me asking, what's this all about exactly?

11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Kind of like a capital "I" and lower case "l" in many fonts look the same?

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.