Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The word "Jew" in the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Look how many times the Holy City of Jerusalem is mentioned in the Koran.
    Jerusalem is not mentioned at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
      Jerusalem is not mentioned at all.
      EGGzackly!!!!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Muslims always have been good at eisegesis.
        It gets worse:

Muhammad is Shlioh:

http://www.islamicweb.com/bible/good4.htm

Muhammad is the son of Man:

http://www.islamicweb.com/bible/good6.htm

Muhammad is the root of Jesse:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Mib/ch6_9.html

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Muslims always have been good at eisegesis.
          Actually they aren't really that good at it but they sure do engage in it a lot.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Actually they aren't really that good at it but they sure do engage in it a lot.

Comment

It gets worse:

Muhammad is Shlioh:

http://www.islamicweb.com/bible/good4.htm

Muhammad is the son of Man:

http://www.islamicweb.com/bible/good6.htm

Muhammad is the root of Jesse:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Mib/ch6_9.html
              They need to admit to shirk at that point. Well, to be consistent anyway.

Comment

Muslims hate Jews for a variety of reasons. Some won't admit hating them.

One Muslim told me that it is partly because of Palestine, but more than that -- it is that "The Jews should have known that Muhammad was a prophet and they rejected him."

Others (most?) believe that the Jews stole Ishmael's birthright. The Jews changed their Scriptures in saying that it was Ishmael who God asked to sacrifice, so the Covenant should have gone through him rather than Isaac.

Muslims also believe all of God's promises went through Ishmael and not the Jews. They claim that Jesus gave the Kingdom to Muslims and use the following verse from Jesus as proof:

Matthew 21:

42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:

The stone that the builders rejected
                has become the cornerstone.
                This came from the Lord
                and is wonderful in our eyes?

(The stone rejected is Muhammad.)

43 Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a nation producing its fruit."

(The nation is Islam.)
                So they believe that Jesus, a descendant of Issac (at least on his mother's side), was a great prophet, and also the Messiah, who will rule all the people of the book in the second coming, but they also believe Issac stole Ishmael's birthright? No wonder they're so quick to denounce Jesus as a Jew. What's all the more confounding is that they're willing to pick and choose what they will from the Bible when it suits their needs, and when it doesn't...it's because the scriptures were corrupted. Isn't that convenient.

So, if Muslims don't believe that Jesus was a Jew because of the virgin birth, then who do they claim is his father, if he's not the Son of God (If my memory's correct, they don't believe that Jesus is God, nor the Son of God)?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  So they believe that Jesus, a descendant of Issac (at least on his mother's side), was a great prophet, and also the Messiah, who will rule all the people of the book in the second coming, but they also believe Issac stole Ishmael's birthright? No wonder they're so quick to denounce Jesus as a Jew. What's all the more confounding is that they're willing to pick and choose what they will from the Bible when it suits their needs, and when it doesn't...it's because the scriptures were corrupted. Isn't that convenient.

So, if Muslims don't believe that Jesus was a Jew because of the virgin birth, then who do they claim is his father, if he's not the Son of God (If my memory's correct, they don't believe that Jesus is God, nor the Son of God)?
                  Only one Muslim I know of said Jesus was not a Jew; I'm sure most Muslims believe He was a Jew; after all according to the Qur'an Jesus was sent to the Jews.

According to Islam, Jesus did not have a father.

According to the author of the Qur'an, Allah has no son and needs a wife in order to have one.

The Qur'an says that Jesus is the Messiah, but the author of the Qur'an does not seem to know what that meant.

Even though the Qur'an says it confirms past revelations and our manuscripts pre-date the Qur'an by several hundred years, Muslims claim that anything that contradicts the Qur'an is corrupted.

Comment

"Iew" is well and truly used in the Bishop's Bible too - about 40 or so years earlier than the King James
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Only one Muslim I know of said Jesus was not a Jew; I'm sure most Muslims believe He was a Jew; after all according to the Qur'an Jesus was sent to the Jews.

According to Islam, Jesus did not have a father.

According to the author of the Qur'an, Allah has no son and needs a wife in order to have one.

The Qur'an says that Jesus is the Messiah, but the author of the Qur'an does not seem to know what that meant.

Even though the Qur'an says it confirms past revelations and our manuscripts pre-date the Qur'an by several hundred years, Muslims claim that anything that contradicts the Qur'an is corrupted.
                      Does this person you're talking to think that Mary was a Jew? Or did he think that no Jews existed at all before the 17th/18th century?

Comment

I'm trying to remember what one of my seminary professors said on the topic but he himself maintained that the concept of "Jew" as most people understood it was a modern invention and that all such biblical mentions should have been translated as "Judean". But this is too far back for me to remember any more than this.

Dr. May and I had a lot of fun disagreeing with each other on stuff.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I'm trying to remember what one of my seminary professors said on the topic but he himself maintained that the concept of "Jew" as most people understood it was a modern invention and that all such biblical mentions should have been translated as "Judean". But this is too far back for me to remember any more than this.

Dr. May and I had a lot of fun disagreeing with each other on stuff.
                          Don't they say that a rose by any other name is still a rose?

Comment

Don't they say that a rose by any other name is still a rose?
                            "Judean" refers to someone from a certain geographical region which isn't what people these days usually mean by the word "Jew".
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              "Judean" refers to someone from a certain geographical region which isn't what people these days usually mean by the word "Jew".
                              Yeah, but when the Bible refers to "Jews", it's clearly referring to more than the geographical location they were born.

Scripture Verse: Romans 2:28-29

For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision something that is outward in the flesh, but someone is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is of the heart by the Spirit and not by the written code. This person's praise is not from people but from God.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Yeah, but when the Bible refers to "Jews", it's clearly referring to more than the geographical location they were born.

Scripture Verse: Romans 2:28-29

For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision something that is outward in the flesh, but someone is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is of the heart by the Spirit and not by the written code. This person's praise is not from people but from God.

© Copyright Original Source

Right, which is a big reason I don't really agree with the proposition.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X