Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The word "Jew" in the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
    He also said Jesus was not a Jew because He didn't have a human father. I am doing research on this too.
    Ask him if it's OK if you make up the rules for who is a Muslim.

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.
      From Jewish Virtual Library...

According to Jewish law, a child born to a Jewish mother or an adult who has converted to Judaism is considered a Jew; one does not have to reaffirm their Jewishness or practice any of the laws of the Torah to be Jewish. According to Reform Judaism, a person is a Jew if they were born to either a Jewish mother or a Jewish father. Also, Reform Judaism stresses the importance of being raised Jewish; if a child is born to Jewish parents and was not raised Jewish then the child is not considered Jewish. According to the Orthodox movement, the father’s religion and whether the person practices is immaterial. No affirmation or upbringing is needed, as long as the mother was Jewish.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If Momma ain't Jewish, ain't NOBODY Jewish!

As an aside, I thought it was interesting the way our Jewish tour guide referred to her people, not as "Jews", but as "the Jewish". One of her favorite sayings was "If there is a difficult way to do something, 'the Jewish' will find it!"

Comment

I'm asking because I am having a conversation with a Muslim, who posted this:

The word Jew did not exist until 1514 A.D. ...

"According to Jewish-born Historian Benjamin H. Freedman, author of Facts Are Facts:

“The best known 18th century editions of the New Testament in English are the Rheims (Douai) Edition and the King James Authorized Edition. The Rheims (Douai) translation of the New Testament into English was first printed in 1582 but the word ‘Jew’ did not appear in it.

“The King James Authorized translation of the New Testament into English was begun in 1604 and first published in 1611. The word ‘Jew’ did not appear in it either. The word ‘Jew’ appeared in both these well known editions in their 18th century revised versions for the first times."

He also said Jesus was not a Jew because He didn't have a human father. I am doing research on this too.

Thanks guys.
          "Jew" comes from "the tribe of Judah" one of the 12 hebrew tribes. so no matter what the word or how it was spelled the meaning is the same, someone from the tribe of judah (which if I recall was combined with benjamin) - so even if the ancient people called them something other than "jew" the meaning is exactly the same.

Comment

If I remember correctly, strict matrilineality for determining Jewishness may have been a Talmudic convention. Modern Karaite Jews determine Jewishness through the father. It probably didn't really matter much in Jesus' period which parent was a Jew, but it's just more goofiness to assume that Jesus was not Jewish simply because of the virgin birth. I'm sure there's apologetics for dealing with Jews and Muslims who hold this opinion, but it never ceases to amaze me that distances people go to hold onto their pet theories.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              "Jew" comes from "the tribe of Judah" one of the 12 hebrew tribes. so no matter what the word or how it was spelled the meaning is the same, someone from the tribe of judah (which if I recall was combined with benjamin) - so even if the ancient people called them something other than "jew" the meaning is exactly the same.
              Yeah, Judah was one of the twelve tribes, and received a special blessing as far back as Genesis 49:1 and 8-10.

Comment

Which raises the question, can those Israelites not from the tribe of Judah properly be called Jews? "Jew" and "Israelite" have since become synonymous, but technically probably not. The existence of modern Samaritans (which now only number in the hundreds) seems to indicate that while all Jews are ethnically Israelites, probably not all ethnic Israelites are Jews.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  If I remember correctly, strict matrilineality for determining Jewishness may have been a Talmudic convention. Modern Karaite Jews determine Jewishness through the father. It probably didn't really matter much in Jesus' period which parent was a Jew, but it's just more goofiness to assume that Jesus was not Jewish simply because of the virgin birth. I'm sure there's apologetics for dealing with Jews and Muslims who hold this opinion, but it never ceases to amaze me that distances people go to hold onto their pet theories.
                  pretty much this probably has to do with the fact that Muslims hate Jews but consider Jesus a great prophet. They need to separate him from the Jews or they have a conflict of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Oh brother. How silly. If he's seriously attempting to suggest that the word "Jew" didn't exist in English because "I" and "J" weren't standardized until later, he's a nutter and not worth bothering with. Here's a copy of the same passage from a 1637/38 copy of the King James where the "I" and "J" have become standardized (notice the lower-case "s" still isn't standardized),

He didn't know about the "I" and "J" but he does now thanks to the good folks here. :)

He is a nutter. I wasn't sure I could say what I really think of him here -- maybe the Mods wouldn't like it.

I have two reasons for wanting to bother with him.

One: I'd like to educate him.
                    Two: Research like this helps me understand the issue, so I get educated.

Comment

If Momma ain't Jewish, ain't NOBODY Jewish!
                      This is an interesting article recommended to me from a Jew:

http://www.beingjewish.com/identity/whoisajew.html

Comment

If He wasn't Jewish because He didn't have a Jewish father, wouldn't that mean He also wasn't human?

Regardless of the English interpretation, Christ was unquestionably of the Hebrews.

Also, even if the word 'Jew' wasn't in the KJV, it wouldn't matter at all - the KJV was translated from the Latin Vulgate, not the extant documents. Going from Greek/Aramaic/Hebrew to English with a detour through Latin is bound to end up with a few quirks.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

pretty much this probably has to do with the fact that Muslims hate Jews but consider Jesus a great prophet. They need to separate him from the Jews or they have a conflict of interest.
                          Muslims hate Jews for a variety of reasons. Some won't admit hating them.

One Muslim told me that it is partly because of Palestine, but more than that -- it is that "The Jews should have known that Muhammad was a prophet and they rejected him."

Others (most?) believe that the Jews stole Ishmael's birthright. The Jews changed their Scriptures in saying that it was Ishmael who God asked to sacrifice, so the Covenant should have gone through him rather than Isaac.

Muslims also believe all of God's promises went through Ishmael and not the Jews. They claim that Jesus gave the Kingdom to Muslims and use the following verse from Jesus as proof:

Matthew 21:

42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:

The stone that the builders rejected
                          has become the cornerstone.
                          This came from the Lord
                          and is wonderful in our eyes?

(The stone rejected is Muhammad.)

43 Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a nation producing its fruit."

(The nation is Islam.)

Comment

Muslims hate Jews for a variety of reasons. Some won't admit hating them.

One Muslim told me that it is partly because of Palestine, but more than that -- it is that "The Jews should have known that Muhammad was a prophet and they rejected him."

Others (most?) believe that the Jews stole Ishmael's birthright. The Jews changed their Scriptures in saying that it was Ishmael who God asked to sacrifice, so the Covenant should have gone through him rather than Isaac.

Muslims also believe all of God's promises went through Ishmael and not the Jews. They claim that Jesus gave the Kingdom to Muslims and use the following verse from Jesus as proof:

Matthew 21:

42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:

The stone that the builders rejected
                            has become the cornerstone.
                            This came from the Lord
                            and is wonderful in our eyes?

(The stone rejected is Muhammad.)

43 Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a nation producing its fruit."

(The nation is Islam.)
                            Muslims always have been good at eisegesis.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Muslims always have been good at eisegesis.
                              Yes, they are. Just look at where they find Muhammad and Islam in the Bible: none of them work.

They also hate Apostle Paul and it is not hard to know why.

Comment

Yes, they are. Just look at where they find Muhammad and Islam in the Bible: none of them work.

They also hate Apostle Paul and it is not hard to know why.
                                Look how many times the Holy City of Jerusalem is mentioned in the Koran.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X