Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is hell like?

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    Most people when thinking of hell think it is a place of physical punishment.

I find it hard to believe that a loving and compassionate God would punish people physically.

Most people worry about those who do not accept Jesus Christ as their savior. What happens to them? What happens to people who have been lied to? Who don't believe Jesus Christ died and rose from the dead?

Most of these people spend their lives believing in God, praying to Him, doing good works.

Abraham asked God: "The Judge of all the earth will do what is right, won't he?"

In this case, I think the loving and compassionate thing to do is let them go back to dust never knowing that they made a mistake.
    The important part of this post is the bolded portion. We do not have the capacity to KNOW what God will do, but we can trust Him.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    The important part of this post is the bolded portion. We do not have the capacity to KNOW what God will do, but we can trust Him.
    Of course. We haven't had a person from hell emailing us to tell us what hell is like.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Annas and Saphira being struck dead, the Philistine tumors, bear attacks, global flood, 10 plagues of Egypt etc. I don't see any evidence in the Bible that supports that God wouldn't use physical punishment, and a lot that shows He's used it in the past.
    Yes, this goes along with what I was saying earlier in the thread about not presuming to claim what is and isn't moral for God to do.

Jesus even used a metaphor of corporal punishment in Luke 12:47-48.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus shows convincingly that there is physical punishment involved. However, it's likely that there are gradations in hell, and it's also likely that the Rich Man in that story was on the worse end of the scale.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I think the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus shows convincingly that there is physical punishment involved. However, it's likely that there are gradations in hell, and it's also likely that the Rich Man in that story was on the worse end of the scale.
    CARM has an article on the different degrees of punishment in hell:

https://carm.org/questions/other-que...unishment-hell

To me a mental punishment would be greater than a physical punishment -- knowing I made a mistake and it was too late to do anything about it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    CARM has an article on the different degrees of punishment in hell:

https://carm.org/questions/other-que...unishment-hell

To me a mental punishment would be greater than a physical punishment -- knowing I made a mistake and it was too late to do anything about it.
    I am in intense physical pain every day, and I can tell you that emotional and mental anguish is far worse than any physical pain I've experienced. Having one on top of the other can get pretty close to unbearable.

7. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I am in intense physical pain every day, and I can tell you that emotional and mental anguish is far worse than any physical pain I've experienced. Having one on top of the other can get pretty close to unbearable.
    Have you ever done something wrong in the past and you still beat yourself up for it years and years afterwards? I can be really brutal on myself. We know we are forgiven by God, but it is hard to forgive ourselves.

People who listen to errant pastors, rabbis, imans, have a responsibility to check out what they say in order to know if it is the truth, so they have some responsibility for their choices and can't blame it all on their spiritual leaders.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian (PCUSA)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I'm far from sure how literally to take parables, but if we take this one literally it doesn't quite show eternal punishment.

That parable shows the rich man in Hades, not Gehenna. It's temporary. That it isn't after the final judgement is clear from that fact that he wants to send a message back to his brothers, who are still alive and clearly haven't been judged.

10. Amen Adrift, The Remonstrant amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you wanted to take the parable of the rich man and Lazarus literally, it could not represent the final state of punishment. The final judgment would not have taken place because people are still alive in this life on earth within the parable.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, but why would the final punishment be lighter and easier than the temporary punishment?

13. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.