Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Bear encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This has been a year for bears. More folks killed and mauled by bears than we have had in a few years.
    Weather? People expanding into their territory? What do you see as the cause? Or is it just "one of those years".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It really does have to do with expanding into their territory. example, if you clear a lot of woods where there are several copperhead dens, then start building are you at a higher risk for a bite from stepping on one since they camoflauge and adapt? Or lower risk?
      Same thing with bears. Except bears are mammals and have higher thought. They go through garbage scour for food scraps left out, etc. They lose their fear of people when they associate people with something tasty like free food from the garbage can or fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Weather? People expanding into their territory? What do you see as the cause? Or is it just "one of those years".
        That's the thing about random statistics. Sometimes things just happen in clusters with no apparent cause.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          That's the thing about random statistics. Sometimes things just happen in clusters with no apparent cause.
          Yeah, sometimes we can tie it to a cause, and sometimes, scat just happens.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes we can tie it to a cause, and sometimes, scat just happens.
            I've actually conducted a very informal study on how people perceive randomness by showing folks a large checkerboard and asking them to randomly place a dozen markers on it in what they would consider random order. In almost every case they tend to be careful to set them down well apart from one another. But that is not always how randomness happens. Often randomness causes things to happen close together, to cluster.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've actually conducted a very informal study on how people perceive randomness by showing folks a large checkerboard and asking them to randomly place a dozen markers on it in what they would consider random order. In almost every case they tend to be careful to set them down well apart from one another. But that is not always how randomness happens. Often randomness causes things to happen close together, to cluster.
              Kinda reminds me of the guy who thinks, "OK, the coin toss was heads up three times in a row, so this next time HAS to be tails".

Comment

Kinda reminds me of the guy who thinks, "OK, the coin toss was heads up three times in a row, so this next time HAS to be tails".
                That is a slightly different experiment I've done numerous times.

I'll ask someone if they flip a coin nine times and it lands heads up every single time what are the odds that on the next flip of it also coming up heads. If they don't say 50-50 I figure they're someone I want to play poker with.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                  It really does have to do with expanding into their territory. example, if you clear a lot of woods where there are several copperhead dens, then start building are you at a higher risk for a bite from stepping on one since they camoflauge and adapt? Or lower risk?
                  Same thing with bears. Except bears are mammals and have higher thought. They go through garbage scour for food scraps left out, etc. They lose their fear of people when they associate people with something tasty like free food from the garbage can or fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden.
                  Not applicable here since these events took place in the wilds.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Not applicable here since these events took place in the wilds.
                    Also encroachment as a general rule tends to cause a steady rise in encounters not a sudden spurt unless the encroachment was equally as sudden.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBxNfCy2_I

WHY can't I make videos work???

Because you seem to be using the link to the mobile version of youtube (M.youtube.com) instead of the full version)

Comment

There is reported to be a mother brown bear and two cubs in our neighborhood. I have not seen them, but I am glad I got my electric fence around my bee yard repaired.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Will an electric fence actually stop a bear?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            A roguetech electric fence will not only stop a charging Grizzly it comes with settings for how you want your bear steak

Comment

A roguetech electric fence will not only stop a charging Grizzly it comes with settings for how you want your bear steak
                              Given the number of pieces said steak is likely to be in, i'll pass.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Bears don't seem to like electric shock. Who would have guessed?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X