Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Anime/Manga Thread

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I missed One Piece last night (sick as the proverbial dog). Suppose I'll have to break down and watch it online now...
    There's always http://www.crunchyroll.com. I think you're able to watch most shows in 480p if you have a free account, and in HD if you get a premium account for 4.99$ a month.

But then again, I think most shows are subbed, so if you prefer to watch dubs instead (although I have no idea why one would prefer dubs over subs ) it might not be your thing.

I would watch anime on crunchyroll, but unfortunately, nearly every show that I watch that is on crunchyroll is unavailable where I live due to licensing limitations.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    There's always http://www.crunchyroll.com. I think you're able to watch most shows in 480p if you have a free account, and in HD if you get a premium account for 4.99$ a month.

But then again, I think most shows are subbed, so if you prefer to watch dubs instead (although I have no idea why one would prefer dubs over subs ) it might not be your thing.

I would watch anime on crunchyroll, but unfortunately, nearly every show that I watch that is on crunchyroll is unavailable where I live due to licensing limitations.
    It didn't have the episode I need.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It didn't have the episode I need.
    That's odd, usually they have all episodes from 1 to the most recent one.

Maybe they aquired the license for One Piece late enough that they didn't get the licensing rights for the older episodes, so if you needed one of the older episodes that might explain it.

Maybe funimation.com has the episode you need?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've never really watched much anime. I remember watching the first couple episodes of Bleach a few years ago, and it interested me more than I thought it would, but it still wasn't quite clicking.

But I'm always open to more suggestions. What would any of you recommend for a total newbie? Preferably something easily available for streaming, since I don't like to reallocate money from my heavy metal budget.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's odd, usually they have all episodes from 1 to the most recent one.

Maybe they aquired the license for One Piece late enough that they didn't get the licensing rights for the older episodes, so if you needed one of the older episodes that might explain it.

Maybe funimation.com has the episode you need?
    It was weird - they were missing 300 odd episodes in the middle. They had the first 180~ and the last 100~ but not the middle.

I'll try Funimation, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I've never really watched much anime. I remember watching the first couple episodes of Bleach a few years ago, and it interested me more than I thought it would, but it still wasn't quite clicking.

But I'm always open to more suggestions. What would any of you recommend for a total newbie? Preferably something easily available for streaming, since I don't like to reallocate money from my heavy metal budget.
    If you liked Bleach you would probably like Inuyasha. It's available online and would be my top pick.

Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece (especially if your in a silly mood), Big O (if you like Film Noir), Trigun (leave common sense at home - it's a lot of fun) and Stand Alone Complex (if you like spies, cybernetics and pseudo-special forces) are all good and fairly easy to follow (well, as easy as Film Noir gets...).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you liked Bleach you would probably like Inuyasha. It's available online and would be my top pick.

Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece (especially if your in a silly mood), Big O (if you like Film Noir), Trigun (leave common sense at home - it's a lot of fun) and Stand Alone Complex (if you like spies, cybernetics and pseudo-special forces) are all good and fairly easy to follow (well, as easy as Film Noir gets...).
    Interesting, thanks. I'll check some of these out.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Cool, Zym!

Funimation requires membership - but I now know the episode number so it wasn't a waste.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Interesting, thanks. I'll check some of these out.
    I've recommended it before in this thread, but I'll do it again. Hunter X Hunter (the 2011 version) is by far the best shonen adventure anime (think Bleach, One Piece, Naruto). I'm not saying it's the best anime out there, but it's easily the best anime in it's category. It does get pretty dark and grim show though, especially when compared to it's counter-parts.

If you want to watch it legally it should be available on crunchyroll.com. If you don't care about watching it in only 480p all you'll need is a free account, otherwise you'll be able to watch it in HD (and all other shows they have) for something like 4.99$ a month if I remember correctly.

Of course, if you don't care about whether or not you get your anime legally there's always fansub groups, but I think you're smart enough to find these yourself.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Do it legally or not at all. Seems like there are a couple of Biblical commands covering this...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've recommended it before in this thread, but I'll do it again. Hunter X Hunter (the 2011 version) is by far the best shonen adventure anime (think Bleach, One Piece, Naruto). I'm not saying it's the best anime out there, but it's easily the best anime in it's category. It does get pretty dark and grim show though, especially when compared to it's counter-parts.

If you want to watch it legally it should be available on crunchyroll.com. If you don't care about watching it in only 480p all you'll need is a free account, otherwise you'll be able to watch it in HD (and all other shows they have) for something like 4.99$ a month if I remember correctly.

Of course, if you don't care about whether or not you get your anime legally there's always fansub groups, but I think you're smart enough to find these yourself.
    I'll check out Hunter X Hunter too. I don't mind 480p, but $4.99 a month isn't bad....

ETA: Just to be clear, I do prefer to get these things legally. That is to say, I don't pirate stuff.
    Last edited by Zymologist; 04-15-2014 at 10:54 PM.

11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.