Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The General Anime/Manga Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Bleach is better.

Bleach is the most generic shounen ever to come out of Japan. Atleast HxH has some character.

Comment

• lol that coming from a hxh fan. The fact that bleach's protagonist isn't a 12 year old automatically catapults it out of the most generic contest. I dumped hxh precisely because it was bland and generic. Boring plot, boring characters, stupid setting. Even one piece, the gold standard in generic shounen managed to pull off at least a couple of good characters and some interesting worldbuilding. In hxh you could kill off the main character and nobody would notice.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• <backs slowly from the room>
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

lol that coming from a hxh fan. The fact that bleach's protagonist isn't a 12 year old automatically catapults it out of the most generic contest. I dumped hxh precisely because it was bland and generic. Boring plot, boring characters, stupid setting. Even one piece, the gold standard in generic shounen managed to pull off at least a couple of good characters and some interesting worldbuilding. In hxh you could kill off the main character and nobody would notice.
          How long before you gave up on HxH?

Comment

• Currently watching:

Ghost in the Shell: Arise
            Showing the origin of Major Kusanagi and her Section 9 team. Great stuff, as always. Cybertech science fiction, action and suspense.

Rin-ne
            I'm a big fan of a couple of Rumiko Takahashi's previous works, Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura. I was a bit disappointed in Inu Yasha, though. Rin-ne doesn't match the great characterizations in the older stuff, but it has some charm with a warped outlook on ghosts, shinigami, and reincarnation.

Sailor Moon Crystal
            I don't care for this series as much as the original, despite the fact that it follows the manga much more closely. Or maybe because it follows the manga more closely. The original series had a wacky quality that made it fun to watch, even with the endless transformation sequences and long, drawn-out plots. The new series doesn't have all that filler, and condenses the plot nicely, but lacks that wackiness. Plus, Sailor Moon becomes an emotional wreck whenever she's concerned about her precious Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask/Endymion, which annoys me. On the other hand, I do like the fact that Sailor Moon Crystal treats Sailor Venus with much more respect than the original series.

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
            The manga will soon become my favorite ongoing comic, once the last volume of Claymore comes out. I've been anxiously awaiting the anime, which so far is following the manga pretty closely. Yamada is a delinquent schoolboy who finds out over time that there are seven girls in the school who each has a different psychic power, activated with a kiss. For some reason, they're called witches, even though they don't really resemble traditional witches. The first witch he encounters can swap bodies, which needless to say causes all sorts of problems, especially since Yamada has a power too: he can copy witch powers.

Speaking of which, I notice that different anime can have very different versions of witches. You have Yamada-kun with the psychic powers; Witch Hunter Robin, with witches that each have a different mystic superpower (such as controlling fire) but are actually tied into the old style witches; Puella Magi Madoka Magica, in which witches are horrific eldritch abominations; etc.
            Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              How long before you gave up on HxH?
              Uhh, I think it was soon after the exam duels.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Uhh, I think it was soon after the exam duels.
                That explains why you think it's just a bland and generic shounen. Give it another shot and I almost guarantee you that your opinion of it will change. Atleast you won't be able to claim that it's bland and generic with a straight face.

Comment

• That's what One Piece fans said too and I got conned into watching half (at the time) the anime. It never got better.

Comment

That's what One Piece fans said too and I got conned into watching half (at the time) the anime. It never got better.

There are two arcs after the Hunter Exams that are ok, but not exceptional (The Zoldyck family Arc and Heavens Arena arc). The story gets much better at the Yorknew story arc, which is after those two arcs.

Comment

• I watched Fate/Stay Night on Netflix and wasn't terribly impressed. It seemed like a PG teen version of Fate/Zero. It had cool effects and some good story, but I felt like it was ultimately a let down from the original.
                      "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                      -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• A young man came through my line Thursday with three posters. I noticed the Funmation sticker and commented on his anime choices. We had a brief conversation about our respective favorites. He liked Cowboy Bepop and I suggested Trigun.

No, no point to this post. It was just nice to be able to chat with another fan in person.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• My boss said it was creepy the other day that I like to watch anime. I really hate the bias that if you watch anime, you're watching either kids shows or hentai.
                          "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                          -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                            My boss said it was creepy the other day that I like to watch anime. I really hate the bias that if you watch anime, you're watching either kids shows or hentai.
                            You mean like gamers that assume all Christians are narrow minded rednecks or computer nerds who assume anyone who can't program in C+++ is a Neanderthal?

Bias lives in every group - best to check for our own logs and not worry about the other guy's sticks.

His loss anyway.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                              My boss said it was creepy the other day that I like to watch anime. I really hate the bias that if you watch anime, you're watching either kids shows or hentai.
                              A few years back the brother-in-law of my sister-in-law was complaining about his son's "obsession" with manga and anime. That was kind of ironic coming from a man who turned one of the bedrooms of his house (forcing his three kids to share one room) into a shrine to his favorite college football team (a school he never attended).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Like father like son... And not in a good way...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X