Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The General Anime/Manga Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I like the strong character development - and obviously, some of the characters. The powers, not so much. The explanation is less than satisfying.
    Yeah, but I think that's a problem in most shonen mangas with superpowers. But even if you're not satisfied with the explanation behind the powers atleast Togashi is consistent with the rules. Not to mention that the fights and different ways that the characters use their power are far more thought out than in Naruto, or One Piece, for example. Atleast in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      Yeah, but I think that's a problem in most shonen mangas with superpowers. But even if you're not satisfied with the explanation behind the powers atleast Togashi is consistent with the rules. Not to mention that the fights and different ways that the characters use their power are far more thought out than in Naruto, or One Piece, for example. Atleast in my opinion.
      Actually, it's just the mechanics that I find disappointing. I do agree it's well thought out - just misses the mark on 'how this works'. I get the impression he revised during the process and that probably explains it.

That's the only thing that irritates me - otherwise, I do like it.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• So, first episode of D.Gray-Man Hallow came out some days ago. I did watch the original series, but that was years ago, so I'll have to rewatch it in order to refresh my memory. 103 episodes is a bit much though. It's a good thing I'm on my vacation right now.

Comment

• Currently watching:

Re: Zero
          And so, some time after finding himself in a fantasy world, our hero discovers that his only unusual ability is that he time loops back to a "save point" whenever he is killed. This is useful, because he gets killed a lot, in mostly gruesome ways. The trauma has gradually caused him to go quite insane, and to a catatonic point more than once. The story is a huge deconstruction on the whole zapped-into-a-fantasy-world scenario. I wouldn't mind the main character so much if he wasn't such an idiot, and if the entire focus of the show wasn't on him (because watching an insane person stumbling around episode after episode gets depressing). But the art is good. Would I recommend it? Well, it seems to be very popular, although I'm not sure why, so sure. I really wish the show focused on other characters now and then, though, since a lot of them are very interesting.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
          I was surprised to run into a modern Gundam series that's actually a direct sequel of the original Gundam stories. I'm so used to seeing "parallel universe" stuff, like Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed. The story keeps to the theme that war is very bad, even if Gundams are pretty cool. Our hero follows the original mold of a teenage Newtype (psychic) who really hates killing and war, but feels obligated to try and protect people with his Gundam unit. Featuring lots of confusing political intrigue. The art has a lot of good attention to detail. From what I've seen so far, I recommend it.

Ace Attorney
          This anime is based off a very popular video game series, and its story follows the game story, more or less. I never played the game, myself. The art is mediocre. The actual use of law/attorney practices in the series... resembles nothing in use on Earth. This may be okay in a game, but is just weird in an anime series. Trials start within a few days after a person is arrested, and surprise evidence can be introduced during the trial by anybody on whim. Our hero occasionally steals evidence from crime scenes so he can use it later. Recommendation: You're probably much better off playing the game and ignoring the anime.

Dagashi Kashi
          Who ever thought the Japanese snack industry could be made into an interesting anime topic? Our hero is a student who works part time at his father's little snack shop. A very strange but very interesting girl shows up, and goes way, way out of her way to recruit our hero and his father for her own father's much larger snack company. But our hero has no interest in carrying on the family tradition. The show will not appeal to everybody, but it definitely has something fun to offer. Prepare to learn a great deal about a wide variety of Japanese snacks.
          Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

• So, watched Yona of the Dawn (only 24 episodes so not hard to do) which I really liked. Sometime next year I'll catch up on One Piece (on 296 only because it's where I left off). Probably start Noblesse or Spice and Wolf soon.

While I read Black Butler I don't want to see the anime - it's had one really great arc but otherwise it's just one I want to know how it ends (which cannot possibly be good). Besides, my understanding is that the anime diverged a lot.

Oh, and
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Need to finish shokugeki no souma. I'm also watching Black Clover. Similar formula to other shounen, but I'll give credit to the author for somehow managing to produce an even more annoying main character than Naruto/One Piece. And that voice actor...
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Need to finish shokugeki no souma. I'm also watching Black Clover. Similar formula to other shounen, but I'll give credit to the author for somehow managing to produce an even more annoying main character than Naruto/One Piece. And that voice actor...
                I couldn't even watch 1 episode of Black Clover before the main characters incessant screaming become too much for me.

Comment

Spice and Wolf
                  Such a great series. It's too bad the anime ends at season 2 without a conclusion to the story.

Comment

Such a great series. It's too bad the anime ends at season 2 without a conclusion to the story.
                    Yeah, the manga only gets up to 35~ - I'm hoping that translations will eventually come out of the rest.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I couldn't even watch 1 episode of Black Clover before the main characters incessant screaming become too much for me.
                      Yeah, they really do seem to be looking to win some sort of annoyance competition. I'm still watching it though because the action is pretty good and i like the worldbuilding.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Have you seen Erased? It is my favorite Anime:)

The story follows Satoru Fujinuma, a young man who somehow possesses an ability known as "Revival" that sends him back in time moments before a life-threatening incident, allowing him to prevent it from happening again. When his mother is murdered by an unknown assailant, Satoru's ability suddenly sends him back eighteen years prior to when he was still in elementary school, giving him the opportunity to prevent a kidnapping incident that took the lives of three of his childhood friends, two classmates and one young girl studying at a school nearby.

Comment

• Caught up on One Piece, watched Season Two of Spice and Wolf and just finished Rwby... I need a life...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Caught up on One Piece, watched Season Two of Spice and Wolf and just finished Rwby... I need a life...
                            I just read the entirety of Schlock Mercenary, and Vexarr within a short time frame. All the while catching up on Skyrim, Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, and Marvel Future Fight. So, I totally understand.

Comment

Caught up on One Piece, watched Season Two of Spice and Wolf and just finished Rwby... I need a life...
                              You have a life, a fun filled anime life. I've been watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Attack on Titian,and Assassination Classroom. Have you ever seen Erased?

Comment

• I'm following Otoyomegatari (Young Bride's Story) now. I only started because the art is absolutely incredible - but turns out, the writing is excellent as well.

otoyomegatari-l0.jpg

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment