Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The General Anime/Manga Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Eh, I see your point but they technically aren't bounty hunters - more like African explorers bringing back specimens...
    Well, that, and the creator of Cowboy Bebop works on Space Dandy.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

• Just saw the first episode of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun...
      A nice little hatsukoi series, and good for a chuckle.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
        Well, that, and the creator of Cowboy Bebop works on Space Dandy.
        Interesting.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• I forget, was Cowboy Bebop the one that was influenced by Western culture? As it seems that Space Dandy's doing the same thing, what with the newest episode being a parody of "Grease/High School Musical". Oh, and I got it wrong, Shinichiro Watanabe is actually the director of the show, not just a guy who works on it.
          Last edited by TimelessTheist; 07-28-2014, 06:22 PM.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• Wasn't Bebop commissioned like Big O was?

Dandy is pretty obviously based on Western culture - very few definite Eastern/Japanese elements in it. Most of those are possibly accidental (like when Western characters use Japanese apologies in other animes)
            Last edited by Teallaura; 07-28-2014, 07:58 PM.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Wasn't Bebop commissioned like Big O was?

Dandy is pretty obviously based on Western culture - very few definite Eastern/Japanese elements in it. Most of those are possibly accidental (like when Western characters use Japanese apologies in other animes)
              Well, that, and the dubbed version of Dandy was actually released in America before the undubbed version was released in Japan. So, yeah, it's clearly aimed at Western culture.....even if I'm the only one who likes it.
              Last edited by TimelessTheist; 07-29-2014, 12:54 AM.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                There was at least the occasional JB episode that was amusing. SD... not so much.
                Honestly, I don't know why I made that comparison, because I freaking hate Johnny Bravo.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                  Well, that, and the dubbed version of Dandy was actually released in America before the undubbed version was released in Japan. So, yeah, it's clearly aimed at Western culture.....even if I'm the only one who likes it.

I like it a little - there are a few good episodes. You aren't totally alone...

Mostly, but not totally.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I like it a little - there are a few good episodes. You aren't totally alone...

Mostly, but not totally.
                    Eh, I was talking in reference to people I actually know. The show actually has a considerable fanbase considering how little time it's been running for.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• So, any One Piece fans here?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So, any One Piece fans here?
                        Chrawnus had his own One Piece thread back before the crash. Haven't seen him in a while though.

Comment

• I'm still here, mostly just lurking though.

Comment

• Are there any good slice-of-life anime's worth watching at the moment?

Comment

• Time for a bump.

So, what animes are you guys currently following? The animes I've watched this recent season and enjoyed are:

Parasyte - the Maxim (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu) - Probably the best anime of the recent (Fall 2014) season. And it's going to continue into the Winter 2015 season, which is good.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works - Haven't actually watched more than the first 3 episodes, but I've liked what I've seen so far

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle - The continuation of a series that began in Spring 2014

Log Horizon 2

Animes I'm anticipating right now:

Durarara!!x2 Shou - Have to watch the season 1 first though

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2 This series is so over the top with the voice acting that you can't help but love it. Well, the japanese version atleast; the snippets of the dub from Stardust Crusaders (the previous season) that I could find, while not terrible, didn't even come close to the over the top voice acting of the original japanese cast.

Tokyo Ghoul √A - Will probably turn out to be the best anime of Winter 2015. I'm also looking forward to seeing whether or not Kaneki will continue to be as badass as he was in the end of the first season.

That's about it. Here's an OST from Parasyte to close it off:

Parasyte - Next to You

Oh and before I forget. Teallaura have you begun reading Hiatus x Hiatus yet?
                              Last edited by JonathanL; 12-30-2014, 02:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                Time for a bump.

So, what animes are you guys currently following? The animes I've watched this recent season and enjoyed are:

Parasyte - the Maxim (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu) - Probably the best anime of the recent (Fall 2014) season. And it's going to continue into the Winter 2015 season, which is good.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works - Haven't actually watched more than the first 3 episodes, but I've liked what I've seen so far

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle - The continuation of a series that began in Spring 2014

Log Horizon 2

Animes I'm anticipating right now:

Durarara!!x2 Shou - Have to watch the season 1 first though

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 2 This series is so over the top with the voice acting that you can't help but love it. Well, the japanese version atleast; the snippets of the dub from Stardust Crusaders (the previous season) that I could find, while not terrible, didn't even come close to the over the top voice acting of the original japanese cast.

Tokyo Ghoul √A - Will probably turn out to be the best anime of Winter 2015. I'm also looking forward to seeing whether or not Kaneki will continue to be as badass as he was in the end of the first season.

That's about it. Here's an OST from Parasyte to close it off:

Parasyte - Next to You

Oh and before I forget. Teallaura have you begun on reading Hiatus x Hiatus yet?
                                Why U NO WATCH TOKATSU?
                                "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                                -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                I support the :
                                sigpic

Comment