Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The General Anime/Manga Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Both that trailer and that info are old. As in, they've been around since Naruto's last chapter.
    The movie aired in Japan on the 8th of December, so...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• After binge watching season 1 & 2 of Kuroko's Basketball I'm definitely adding season 3 on my list of anticipated animes. Now it's on to Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (although I've watched 4 and a half episodes already to be honest).

Comment

• First ORIGIN movie comes out next month

Comment

(I follow pretty much every sports anime I can find)
          You have watched Major, right...?

I mean, you're not a true sports anime fan if you haven't watched Major.

Comment

• Major Season 1 - Kokoro E

Still one of my favorite openings ever.

Comment

• Nope, looks pretty old. That might be why.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Nope, looks pretty old. That might be why.
                You should watch it. It's one of the best animes ever, not just in the sports genre, but generally.

Comment

• I'll give it a try next time I feel like picking up something new, but I generally dislike anime with really young protagonists.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

• Shameless plug for Origin #2!

This time with footage!

Comment

I'll give it a try next time I feel like picking up something new, but I generally dislike anime with really young protagonists.
                      He's only really young in the first season though. He'll be in middle school by the second season I think.
                      Last edited by JonathanL; 01-03-2015, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• I'm probably the only one here who's looking forward to it, but Gintama is scheduled to return in april 2015.

Comment

• Well, the first Tokyo Ghoul episode of the new season's ending was a surprise.

Comment

• Time to perform some articial life-preservation to keep this thread alive. I've looked around for the fully translated version of the OP to the anime Sankarea for quite a while now, and just found it by coincidence.

Nano.RIPE - Esoragoto

The anime wasn't even that great (not unwatchable though), but the opening itself is pretty good and it's even better when you actually know what they're singing about.

Comment

• Time for an anime clip, this one from Gintama.

Shinpachi and Kagura believe the show needs a training arc. Gintoki couldn't care less. Hilarity ensues:

Comment

• So. Okay. I don't get Anime. Can someone teach me why its so interesting?

When I was a teen, back in the late 80s and early 90s there were a slew of awesome Japanese animated films. Teen me and my friends thought they were really cool because they showed a lot of violence and sexuality in a cartoon, which was totally a weird thing back then outside of like, Ralph Bakshi's American animations. They seemed to be a continuation of Heavy Metal magazine's (the American version of French magazine Metal Hurlant) weird and wonderful which included the artwork of Moebius, Richard Corben, Milo Manara, Boris Velajo, and of course in the background of it all was the influence of Frank Frazetta.

The films that we watched as kids included Akira, Golgo 13: The Professional, Ninja Scroll, Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, and a number of others. I remember being extremely turned off to really ridiculous animes that had goofy faced characters, but as long as it had a decently intelligent plot line I was all for it. Later videos I dug included Blood: the Last Vampire, Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, Spirited Away, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, and I think the last Japanese animated films I was into was the Cowboy Bebop movie, and maybe Steamboy.

What happened to Japanese animation between the mid 90s and the current period? It seems like it was a period over-populated with ridiculous kid cartoons like Pokeman, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, and the like, and then it graduated to teen-bop animes like Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, and a number of other japanimation cartoons that I had no interest in. What happened between 1986 and the mid-90s that resulted in such kidified cartoons that were mostly devoid of the adult themes that Japanese animated films were full of? Did those types of films disappear from the face of the earth? Are they still making cartoons like that, or was that a golden period that we'll never see the likes of again?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X