Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The General Anime/Manga Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I haven't seen the dubbed version of Yu Yu Hakusho, so I can't really judge on that show. Based on past experience I doubt I'd agree with you though.

Anyway, I generally prefer the original Japanese voice actors over the English voice actors, because most of the time the Japanese voice actors are better at conveying emotions than their English counter-parts.

And at times the English voice actors are so horrible that they sound like I did when I was little and played with my toy figurines.
    The only thing I don't care for about subs is that it is a real pain to have to read a movie while trying to watch it. I find myself having to constantly rewind.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's pretty much what they are (if we're speaking of subbed vs dubbed anime in general, and not just Yu Yu Hakusho in particular).
      (in general)

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The only thing I don't care for about subs is that it is a real pain to have to read a movie while trying to watch it. I find myself having to constantly rewind.
      ^Yeah, that!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

It usually takes me about half a second to read a line of subtitles, so it's not really a problem for me.

I am thinking about learning Japanese though, just for the sake of being able to watch the shows without subtitles.

Comment

It usually takes me about half a second to read a line of subtitles, so it's not really a problem for me.
          When my vision was better it wasn't as much a problem.

I am thinking about learning Japanese though, just for the sake of being able to watch the shows without subtitles.
          One of my friend's son wants to do the same thing. Of course he is 14.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One of my friend's son wants to do the same thing. Of course he is 14.
            Well, I'm not quite that young (23), but I still think I won't have much of a problem picking up a new language.

Comment

Well, I'm not quite that young (23)
              GIT OFFA MY LAWN!

Goll danged whippersnapper.

AND TURN DOWN THAT BLASTED NOISE YOU CALL MUSIC!

Comment

AND TURN DOWN THAT BLASTED NOISE YOU CALL MUSIC!
                No.

Comment

No.

Back in my day we had real music not this hippity hop crap

Comment

Back in my day we had real music not this hippity hop crap
                    I don't listen to that hippity hop crap either.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Getting back on topic, I have another anime recommendation to make. This one is a bit different from the previous recommendations though, a slice-of-life, coming-of-age type of anime called Clannad.

Since I'm too lazy to write a synopsis I'll just rip the one from MyAnimeList instead.

Source: MyAnimeList, [url

http://myanimelist.net/anime/2167/Clannad][/url]

Synopsis
                        Okazaki Tomoya is a delinquent who finds life dull and believes he'll never amount to anything. Along with his friend Sunohara, he skips school and plans to waste his high school days away.

One day while walking to school, Tomoya passes a young girl muttering quietly to herself. Without warning she exclaims "Anpan!" (a popular Japanese food) which catches Tomoya's attention. He soon discovers the girl's name is Furukawa Nagisa and that she exclaims things she likes in order to motivate herself. Nagisa claims they are now friends, but Tomoya walks away passing the encounter off as nothing.

However, Tomoya finds he is noticing Nagisa more and more around school. Eventually he concedes and befriends her. Tomoya learns Nagisa has been held back a year due to a severe illness and that her dream is to revive the school's drama club. Claiming he has nothing better to do, he decides to help her achieve this goal along with the help of four other girls.

As Tomoya spends more time with the girls, he learns more about them and their problems. As he attempts to help each girl overcome her respective obstacle, he begins to realise life isn't as dull as he once thought.

[Written by MAL Rewrite]

© Copyright Original Source

It is, a long with it's sequel Clannad: After Story pretty much one of the best anime I've ever watched. It is an emotional rollercoaster though, so just be prepared for that.

There is one facepalm moment though, involving some extremely broken English. But, honestly, broken English is one of the reasons I like anime so much.

Comment

. . .broken English is one of the reasons I like anime so much.
                          Case in point:

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Dandy

This is the dumbest anime ever - and it's still kinda fun.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Case in point:

Still not as funny as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy23neI1Wno
                              Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Dandy

This is the dumbest anime ever - and it's still kinda fun.
                                Not even close to being the dumbest anime ever.
                                Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment