Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The General Anime/Manga Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for the next anime recommendation:

Katanagatari (translates roughly to "Sword Story")

Source: MyAnimeList, http://myanimelist.net/anime/6594/Katanagatari

Synopsis
    Yasuri Shichika, seventh successor of the Kyoto Ryu (bladeless) sword art, lives on an isolated island with his older sister, Nanami.

One day Shichika is visited by a woman named Togame, who requests his aid in her quest to find and collect the final twelve swords forged by the legendary master swordsmith, Shikizaki Kiki. Shichika and Togame begin their odyssey by leaving the island he called home for over 20 years. They will face twelve individuals who possess and protect Shikizaki's legendary swords.

Join Shichika and Togame on an exciting, epic adventure that defies reality as they discover the true potential of the Kyoutoryuu sword style!

(Source: NIS America)

© Copyright Original Source

The series consists of 12 episodes about 50 minutes each. The art style is a bit different from your typical anime, and might put some people off, and in spite of what one might gather from the synopsis this show is driven much more by dialogue and character interaction than it is by action/fighting. If you're fine with that though, there's no reason why you shouldn't give this show a try. And for those who decide to stick with it all the way through, you're in for a massive treat when it comes to the ending.

Also, this one's a tearjerker.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Dandy

This is the dumbest anime ever - and it's still kinda fun.
      I agree with the first part. It is dumb. Watched the first two episodes and wish I hadn't wasted my time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I agree with the first part. It is dumb. Watched the first two episodes and wish I hadn't wasted my time.
        They get better after the first couple episodes.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

My copy of Gundam: the ORIGIN VOL. 5 came in three days ago.

Even if you don't know anything about the Universal Century, this is a good way to get into it (and the Real Robot genre in general).

Comment

Do we have to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_Grand_Prix
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Time for some Anime OST:

Koko wa Samurai no Kuni Da - Gintama

I think I'll wait a bit between posting youtube vids so that this thread doesn't get all cluttered with embedded clips. A maximum of 1 clip per 3-4 posts should probably be enough.

Comment

Just watched the most recent Hunter X Hunter episode. It just keeps getting better and better. If this goes on the next few episodes are going to be absolutely amazing.

Comment

Watched the latest Naruto Shippuden episode. The band singing the new opening seemed familiar to me, and then I noticed that it was Does, who also made one of the openings for the Gintama series.

Comment

Decided to rewatch Hunter X Hunter while waiting for the next episode to come out. Hisoka still creeps me out, no matter how many times I watch the series.

Comment

I missed One Piece last night (sick as the proverbial dog). Suppose I'll have to break down and watch it online now...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I missed One Piece last night (sick as the proverbial dog). Suppose I'll have to break down and watch it online now...
                        There's always http://www.crunchyroll.com. I think you're able to watch most shows in 480p if you have a free account, and in HD if you get a premium account for 4.99$ a month.

But then again, I think most shows are subbed, so if you prefer to watch dubs instead (although I have no idea why one would prefer dubs over subs ) it might not be your thing.

I would watch anime on crunchyroll, but unfortunately, nearly every show that I watch that is on crunchyroll is unavailable where I live due to licensing limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          There's always http://www.crunchyroll.com. I think you're able to watch most shows in 480p if you have a free account, and in HD if you get a premium account for 4.99$ a month.

But then again, I think most shows are subbed, so if you prefer to watch dubs instead (although I have no idea why one would prefer dubs over subs ) it might not be your thing.

I would watch anime on crunchyroll, but unfortunately, nearly every show that I watch that is on crunchyroll is unavailable where I live due to licensing limitations.
                          It didn't have the episode I need.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It didn't have the episode I need.
                            That's odd, usually they have all episodes from 1 to the most recent one.

Maybe they aquired the license for One Piece late enough that they didn't get the licensing rights for the older episodes, so if you needed one of the older episodes that might explain it.

Maybe funimation.com has the episode you need?

Comment

I've never really watched much anime. I remember watching the first couple episodes of Bleach a few years ago, and it interested me more than I thought it would, but it still wasn't quite clicking.

But I'm always open to more suggestions. What would any of you recommend for a total newbie? Preferably something easily available for streaming, since I don't like to reallocate money from my heavy metal budget.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                That's odd, usually they have all episodes from 1 to the most recent one.

Maybe they aquired the license for One Piece late enough that they didn't get the licensing rights for the older episodes, so if you needed one of the older episodes that might explain it.

Maybe funimation.com has the episode you need?
                                It was weird - they were missing 300 odd episodes in the middle. They had the first 180~ and the last 100~ but not the middle.

I'll try Funimation, thanks!

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                                I've never really watched much anime. I remember watching the first couple episodes of Bleach a few years ago, and it interested me more than I thought it would, but it still wasn't quite clicking.

But I'm always open to more suggestions. What would any of you recommend for a total newbie? Preferably something easily available for streaming, since I don't like to reallocate money from my heavy metal budget.
                                If you liked Bleach you would probably like Inuyasha. It's available online and would be my top pick.

Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece (especially if your in a silly mood), Big O (if you like Film Noir), Trigun (leave common sense at home - it's a lot of fun) and Stand Alone Complex (if you like spies, cybernetics and pseudo-special forces) are all good and fairly easy to follow (well, as easy as Film Noir gets...).

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment