Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The General Anime/Manga Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purist!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Purist!
      It's a simple fact of life that subs are better than dubs in the overwhelming majority of cases*.

*I've heard that there are a few exceptions though, although I've yet to encounter one of these rumoured exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        It's a simple fact of life that subs are better than dubs in the overwhelming majority of cases*.

*I've heard that there are a few exceptions though, although I've yet to encounter one of these rumoured exceptions.
        Is not...
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The only time I've ever seen an example of dubbing that was worthwhile was a movie called Super Ninja. It was a spoof (I think so; oh gosh I hope it was a spoof) of ninja movies. The movie was filmed in English, and then redubbed into English so that the voices were just the tiniest bit off. Then it was sped up a little bit. Cheesiest thing ever, but it was funny.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I can't stand the Japanese versions of Goku, and King Kai from DBZ, and I hated Kuwabara's voice in the Japanese version of Yu Yu Hakusho. One Piece is the only other subbed one I have seen, and I haven't gotten very far. I do think that the subs are making it a more immersive experience though. Which is why I wasn't getting as much of a headache while watching One Piece recently. I will have to check some of the others to see if that pattern holds up. I think I will check out Rorouni Kenshin, and Ultimate Muscle if they are available on Crunchyroll.

Comment

My biggest issue with subbed versions is constantly having to rewind and pause the show so that I can read what is being said, especially when the dialog is moving quickly and they're talking over each other. Further, even when that isn't the problem I actually want to be watching the show rather than reading what's written across the bottom.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  My biggest issue with subbed versions is constantly having to rewind and pause the show so that I can read what is being said, especially when the dialog is moving quickly and they're talking over each other. Further, even when that isn't the problem I actually want to be watching the show rather than reading what's written across the bottom.
                  ^Yeah, that!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And my biggest issue with the dubs is that the voice actors are inferior compared to the original Japanese voice actors most, if not all of the time. The issues you mention above are at most minor annoyances compared to that.

The ideal situation would be if I'd learn Japanese though, since I could watch the shows raw without subtitles then. But until I muster up enough motivation to actually start learning the language I'll have to be content with subs. For all their drawbacks it still beats the torture of having to listen to the mediocre performance of most voice acting in the dubbed versions.

Comment

That's not something that should be listed as a positive.
                      Now, now... Don't be like that. Dubs are the best way to introduce people (for Americans at least) to foreign entertainment. Anime is often (stateside anyway) aimed at a younger audience that doesn't like reading beyond what they get as a text on their phone. Having to read subtitles is a huge turn off for them. To me, dubs have their place and I'm glad for them, they give us new fans who buy merchandise and keep the industry going.

I watch most of my anime subbed now, but it wasn't always like that. When I first started watching anime I was a slow reader and couldn't keep up with subtitles; it was dubs or nothing. After my reading speed picked up, I started watching stuff subtitled and it helped me expand my interests into other foreign films. (So many great foreign subtitled movies in the world! Hurrah!) My sister (6 yrs my junior) is a faster reader than I am, so she watched tons of anime subtitled at a much earlier age than me. She can now understand spoken Japanese fluently. (She was always smart that way.)

Question: How important is a good ending for you? For instance, I started reading Ouran High School Host Club manga because the anime was pretty good. The ending, however, was a huge let down. I had bought 10 volumes (out of 18) and sold them all after I read the ending. The original Berserk anime was another one. It got you really invested and then just stopped. There was no ending. It left me infuriated for 3 days straight! (I guess they came out with a continuation or something, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth I can't touch the series at all now, lol.) My general opinion is that no matter how good a story is, if the ending is a flop, it destroys everything else for me.

A good ending doesn't have to be a happy ending, it just needs CLOSURE. I need to feel like all or most of the lose ends were tied at the end. Part of why I don't like most harem stories is because they're open ended and don't give any kind of resolve to any of the relationships they spent 12+ episodes setting up.

What about you guys? Ever had a bad ending that destroyed the whole series for you?
                      Last edited by draw2much; 05-12-2014, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Something I came across recently and really enjoyed:

Vinland Saga

It's a Viking story, covers revenge, self-sacrifice, hatred, intrigue, redemption and change.

It's 'realistically' violent - people attack each other with swords, axes and stuff, and what you'd expect results, so if you're sensitive to that it may be a bit much for you. But a great story, really good drawing, especially of faces, and some memorable characters.
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Bad endings:

Wolf's Rain: Oh please - endlessly repeating the same stupidity?

Full Metal Alchemist (First Anime): Ugh...

Death Note: To be fair, I didn't like the series - but can we say 'incredibly predictable ending'?

IGPX: Ending just as pointless as the series...

7 Samurai: Yeah, yeah, it's not like I didn't know it was coming but it's still depressing.

SAC:GITS: I'll figure it out one of these days...

Big O: So wrong...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And my biggest issue with the dubs is that the voice actors are inferior compared to the original Japanese voice actors most, if not all of the time. The issues you mention above are at most minor annoyances compared to that.

The ideal situation would be if I'd learn Japanese though, since I could watch the shows raw without subtitles then. But until I muster up enough motivation to actually start learning the language I'll have to be content with subs. For all their drawbacks it still beats the torture of having to listen to the mediocre performance of most voice acting in the dubbed versions.
                            The only problem I have with dubs is that they seem to rely on entirely far too few voice actors.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The only problem I have with dubs is that they seem to rely on entirely far too few voice actors.

Ever watch Looney Tunes?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Ever watch Looney Tunes?
                                Are you criticizing Mel?!?!?!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X