Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How do members of the Trinity communicate with each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do members of the Trinity communicate with each other?

Thanks.

Telepathy? (j/k) I don't think the Bible really discusses the "how" much other than when Jesus, in his incarnation, prayed to the father. I would imagine that whatever form of communication goes on between the Trinity, as spirit persons, it doesn't require vocalization, and is instantaneous. I don't know if we can do much more than speculate on the actual mechanism of communication without anthropomorphizing the Trinity.

Why? Run into another Muslim who made an issue of it?

Comment

Shared omniscience.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Telepathy? (j/k) I don't think the Bible really discusses the "how" much other than when Jesus, in his incarnation, prayed to the father. I would imagine that whatever form of communication goes on between the Trinity, as spirit persons, it doesn't require vocalization, and is instantaneous. I don't know if we can do much more than speculate on the actual mechanism of communication without anthropomorphizing the Trinity.

Why? Run into another Muslim who made an issue of it?
        I attend a small Bible discussion group at my church. It will start up again in the fall. We have been asked what we want to study next.

I want to suggest a book on the Trinity.

I have "The Forgotten Trinity" by James White and have read "Why We Should Believe in the Trinity" by Robert Bowman, Jr.

We know the members of the Trinity indwell each other. We know the Father sends the Son and He comes. We know the Father sends the Holy Spirit, as can the Son.

I have never found a book on the Trinity that explains how the members of the Trinity communicate with each other -- maybe there isn't one -- maybe God hasn't revealed the "how."

Comment

Originally posted by C3
          We know the members of the Trinity indwell each other.
          Umm, the members of the Trinity are One. I don't think the term "indwell" applies here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
            Shared omniscience.
            OK, omniscience is the state of knowing everything.

Jesus said: "All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." Matthew 11

Pretty incredible thing for a mere man to say, but not for the second person of the Trinity.

But,

Jesus also said: "I and the Father are one" -- in nature.

So omniscience works.

I can make a human analogy, but it breaks down...

Let's say a man and a woman have known each other since childhood, they've been married for 50 years or so, they have communicated so they know each other to the point that they can complete each other's sentences. It is a knowing that they have revealed to each other.

It breaks down when one of them says or does something the other would not possibly believe they would say or do. :)

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Umm, the members of the Trinity are One. I don't think the term "indwell" applies here.
              Just a statement of fact.

Comment

I would basically say that the Holy Spirit indwells Jesus, but not vice versa.

Jeramiah 1:4-9
                Then the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. . . . Then the Lord put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the Lord said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.

Matthew 3:16
                And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him[.]

Revelation 5:6
                And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

Thanks.
                  By Being Themself :)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X