Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

White Fragility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
    A while back, a white friend commented on Ghost in the Shell casting, and implied that "my asian brethren" had gone to far in insisting that yeah, whitewashing is long standing historical issue in Hollywood.

He was quite defensive about the whole thing, and when anyone mentioned fairly simple -and one would think- innocuous things (e.g. whitewashing of Asian roles is a pattern of exclusion with examples given) or that Hollywood has now, and has had for a long time, a casting preference for white people, he grew rather defensive. His responses were hyperbolic, made up on the spot, sometimes self contradictory, and showed little knowledge of how casting decisions work or non-discrimiation laws actually applied to that industry. All this was to preserve the simple idea that, "no me not racist. You asian people racist." The guy didn't even like Ghost in the Shell, and didn't understand the source material either. He just was super upset that there could be something wrong with putting a white person in the center its adaptation.

That's what white fragility is, and it is extremely frustrating.
    That is simply an example of an idiot. White fragility is inaccurate and silly.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

White privilege has nothing to do with guilt or race-exclusive systemic racism. How can you criticize something you know nothing about?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        White privilege has nothing to do with guilt or race-exclusive systemic racism. How can you criticize something you know nothing about?
        White privilege and white fragility are two different things. The former is the claim made by loser liberals that being white grants you automatic structural privileges (for the most part it's the other way round). White fragility is what they call the phenomenon of white people who resist attempts to guilt, shame and humiliate them because of their race.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          White privilege and white fragility are two different things. The former is the claim made by loser liberals that being white grants you automatic structural privileges (for the most part it's the other way round). White fragility is what they call the phenomenon of white people who resist attempts to guilt, shame and humiliate them because of their race.
          It is necessary to make it sound negative,
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Engrish is still hilarious tho
            The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              So why isn't Anime complete "cultural appropriation" of White culture because they are obviously drawing all of their characters with WHITE people's eyes and features instead of asian?

In fact, using a white actor to play an anime character makes more sense than using a Japanese actor because the white actor looks more "anime"

I mean, she doesn't look Japanese in the cartoon. She looks white.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23203[/ATTACH]

the whole complaint is just silly. it is a CARTOON. Who cares what race plays what characters?

Anime character are NOT WHITE---they are mukokseki (without nationality/ethnicity)
              http://www.revelist.com/real-talk/st...haracters/1672

The word mukokuseki means, "without nationality,” so anime characters are drawn with varied physical features that are associated with different ethnic groups such as round eyes, light skin, and different hair colors. This technique is used by creators to make bold anime that isn't associated with the uniform culture of Japan.
              "In Japan, white is not the default," writer Brian Ashcraft explains at Kotaku. "Japanese is. Thus, there is no need for them to 'look Asian,' because no matter how ridiculous the characters look, everyone will assume they are Japanese."
              In other words, Japanese anime attempts to stand out in a monolithic culture where everyone is expected to be the same. Anime is the spot of color you'd notice in a sea of grey.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                so you know White Privilege right?

It is liberals who want whites to feel guilty for being white? And that only white people are racists? and of course that ALL white people are racist.

And most conservatives say they are nuts?

Well their counter-"punch" is White Fragility.

====

White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard to Talk to White People About Racism
                Challenges to this identity become highly stressful and even intolerable. The following are examples of the kinds of challenges that trigger racial stress for white people:

Suggesting that a white person’s viewpoint comes from a racialized frame of reference (challenge to objectivity);
                People of color talking directly about their own racial perspectives (challenge to white taboos on talking openly about race);
                People of color choosing not to protect the racial feelings of white people in regards to race (challenge to white racial expectations and need/entitlement to racial comfort);
                People of color not being willing to tell their stories or answer questions about their racial experiences (challenge to the expectation that people of color will serve us);
                A fellow white not providing agreement with one’s racial perspective (challenge to white solidarity);
                Receiving feedback that one’s behavior had a racist impact (challenge to white racial innocence);
                Suggesting that group membership is significant (challenge to individualism);
                An acknowledgment that access is unequal between racial groups (challenge to meritocracy);
                Being presented with a person of color in a position of leadership (challenge to white authority);
                Being presented with information about other racial groups through, for example, movies in which people of color drive the action but are not in stereotypical roles, or multicultural education (challenge to white centrality).

Not often encountering these challenges, we withdraw, defend, cry, argue, minimize, ignore, and in other ways push back to regain our racial position and equilibrium. I term that push back white fragility.
                https://goodmenproject.com/featured-...t-racism-twlm/

So basically if you argue against "white privilege" or "white racism" then it is only because of "white fragility" and they can dismiss your argument. I just went through this with a nut on facebook.
                The author apparently arrived at this theory during her seminars where she deliberately pushed white people's buttons to get a rise out of the audience. That's not "white fragility", that's how people respond to someone who's acting like a jerk.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Reading the comments to the article, I also learned a new term:

Kafkatrapping - A sophistical and unfalsifiable form of argument that attempts to overcome an opponent by inducing a sense of guilt and using the opponent's denial of guilt as further evidence of guilt. Coined in 2010 by Eric Raymond in reference to Franz Kafka's story The Trial (Der Process/Der Prozess, published 1925), in which a man is accused of crimes that are never specified.

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                    Anime character are NOT WHITE---they are mukokseki (without nationality/ethnicity)
                    http://www.revelist.com/real-talk/st...haracters/1672

The word mukokuseki means, "without nationality,” so anime characters are drawn with varied physical features that are associated with different ethnic groups such as round eyes, light skin, and different hair colors. This technique is used by creators to make bold anime that isn't associated with the uniform culture of Japan.
                    "In Japan, white is not the default," writer Brian Ashcraft explains at Kotaku. "Japanese is. Thus, there is no need for them to 'look Asian,' because no matter how ridiculous the characters look, everyone will assume they are Japanese."
                    In other words, Japanese anime attempts to stand out in a monolithic culture where everyone is expected to be the same. Anime is the spot of color you'd notice in a sea of grey.
                    yeah, right. The Japanese are obsessed with white/American culture, from clothes to dying their hair, to playing baseball. That is why it is popular for Japanese to have eye surgery to make their eyes look more western.

Look, even IF that is correct, the point remains the same. If they have no ethnicity, then it is ridiculous to cry "white wash" if a white person plays an anime character.

Comment

yep. It is a way to "win" without having to prove anything. Just accuse. If they complain it is because they are guilty and "can't handle the truth" - the complaint is the proof of the accusation.

Comment

To summarize the article: "Whitey is racist, and if he denies he's racist then that just proves he's racist."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          To summarize the article: "Whitey is racist, and if he denies he's racist then that just proves he's racist."
                          I posted that kaftka trap article to the liberal I was talking to on facebook. She totally didn't get it. But then, like JIML, she didn't bother to actually read the article yet.

Comment

It's like that scene from Monty Python's The Life of Brian.
                            Brian: "Will you stop following me? I'm not the messiah!"
                            Disciple: "But only the true messiah would deny his own divinity."
                            Brian: "Oh, bloody hell, what sort of chance does that give me? Fine, then I am the messiah!"
                            Disciple: "He admits it! He's the messiah!"

Comment

I'm half Cherokee, half white. I look white. I love to play the race card when it favors me. God bless America.
                              The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                                I'm half Cherokee, half white. I look white. I love to play the race card when it favors me. God bless America.
                                Injun Fragility!

Comment