Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

White Fragility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Fragility

so you know White Privilege right?

It is liberals who want whites to feel guilty for being white? And that only white people are racists? and of course that ALL white people are racist.

And most conservatives say they are nuts?

Well their counter-"punch" is White Fragility.

====

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-...t-racism-twlm/

So basically if you argue against "white privilege" or "white racism" then it is only because of "white fragility" and they can dismiss your argument. I just went through this with a nut on facebook.

A while back, a white friend commented on Ghost in the Shell casting, and implied that "my asian brethren" had gone to far in insisting that yeah, whitewashing is long standing historical issue in Hollywood.

He was quite defensive about the whole thing, and when anyone mentioned fairly simple -and one would think- innocuous things (e.g. whitewashing of Asian roles is a pattern of exclusion with examples given) or that Hollywood has now, and has had for a long time, a casting preference for white people, he grew rather defensive. His responses were hyperbolic, made up on the spot, sometimes self contradictory, and showed little knowledge of how casting decisions work or non-discrimiation laws actually applied to that industry. All this was to preserve the simple idea that, "no me not racist. You asian people racist." The guy didn't even like Ghost in the Shell, and didn't understand the source material either. He just was super upset that there could be something wrong with putting a white person in the center its adaptation.

That's what white fragility is, and it is extremely frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
      A while back, a white friend commented on Ghost in the Shell casting, and implied that "my asian brethren" had gone to far in insisting that yeah, whitewashing is long standing historical issue in Hollywood.

He was quite defensive about the whole thing, and when anyone mentioned fairly simple -and one would think- innocuous things (e.g. whitewashing of Asian roles is a pattern of exclusion with examples given) or that Hollywood has now, and has had for a long time, a casting preference for white people, he grew rather defensive. His responses were hyperbolic, made up on the spot, sometimes self contradictory, and showed little knowledge of how casting decisions work or non-discrimiation laws actually applied to that industry. All this was to preserve the simple idea that, "no me not racist. You asian people racist." The guy didn't even like Ghost in the Shell, and didn't understand the source material either. He just was super upset that there could be something wrong with putting a white person in the center its adaptation.

it is an excuse to ignore any arguments against the liberal talking points. Rather than engage with the points (even to calling them out as "made-up, contradictory" or whatever the actual argument might be, they just label it "white fragility" and ignore it.

I will do the same and see how you like it.

Your post shows nothing but liberal fragility and is extremely frustrating.

Comment

He's right, the whiners should be put in their place good and hard. The sheer pettiness of the whitewashing complaints deserve humiliating retaliation. The complaints about ghost in the shell mostly came from the most obnoxious type of Americans (weeaboos, butthurt loser minorities, self loathing white liberals), most of whom probably never paid a cent to watch the actual anime. Actual Japanese couldn't care less and probably find the whole idea of whitewashing being a thing bizarre:

The guy didn't even like Ghost in the Shell, and didn't understand the source material either.
        That's ok, weeaboos don't really understand the source material either. The original director was fine with it too:
        http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7650461.html

Presumably the cheetos encrusted nerds know better.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

So are white people heartless ubermensch or pussilanimous sophist? Honestly I don't want to talk about race because it just turns into a pissing contest or a backstabbing festival.
          sigpic

Comment

Something about (seemingly) predominately white liberals complaining about the over-representation of whites in overwhelmingly liberal Hollywood is kind of amusing to me.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              it is an excuse to ignore any arguments against the liberal talking points.
              It is not their arguments that are ignored.

Rather than engage with the points (even to calling them out as "made-up, contradictory" or whatever the actual argument might be, they just label it "white fragility" and ignore it.
              It's interesting that you've judged the content of that debate, and judged the content of of my friend's points, without having read them, and no knowledge of their content other than the point they argued for.

For all you know he could've said, "This is not racist, because white skin is the ideal skin. That is why white actresses are preferred."

Yet his conclusion is enough for to wholesale side with with this random white person you've never known.

I will do the same and see how you like it.
              This is the problem with conservatism. It can't deal with criticism except by childish, tu quoque responses.... and of course...

Your post shows nothing but liberal fragility and is extremely frustrating.
              ...reappropriation of terms. #fakenews

Comment

The criticism is that white people should't be cast in adaptations of foreign films as central characters, because some fat loser nerd knows better. In your case there is definitely some racial fragility and insecurity going on. Like all leftists you love to project your own dysfunctions on others.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  He's right, the whiners should be put in their place good and hard. The sheer pettiness of the whitewashing complaints deserve humiliating retaliation. .
                  First, a random video of a handful of people proves nothing. It's especially suspicious considering its source.

Besides, a white actress is a novelty in Japan. Whereas, in the United States, it represents the aforementioned 80 year pattern of exclusion. The thing is though, most of Asians-americans who are close to the industry have heard all these responses before.

And what we don't get, is any impression that the detractors have actually listened and understood the issues they're responding to. Because, you're average white conservative can't listen or understand anything outside of their own echo chamber.

Comment

First, a random video of a handful of people proves nothing. It's especially suspicious considering its source.
                    The source is a Japanese guy who routinely does "man on the street" interviews in Japan. He's not a fat purple haired slab of mystery meat from California so I can see how his opinion and the opinions of the Japanese people from Japan that he interviews might be suspicious, unlike your own pristine views.

Besides, a white actress is a novelty in Japan. Whereas, in the United States, it represents the aforementioned 80 year pattern of exclusion. The thing is though, most of Asians-americans who are close to the industry have heard all these responses before.
                    America is a free country, there is nothing that stopped Asians from making movies if they don't like the way the overwhelmingly Jewish-run Hollywood casts people (this is important to mention because it's a complaint that is identical to that of white supremacists).

I would further argue that Asian-Americans have no special status when it comes to telling the Japanese or the people to whom they lease their IP who to cast, especially since they're more than happy with it themselves. Having ancestors from the same continent doesn't suddenly give you special privileges over all things Asian.

And what we don't get, is any impression that the detractors have actually listened and understood the issues they're responding to. Because, you're average white conservative can't listen or understand anything outside of their own echo chamber.
                    No, we have listened and understand the issues. You just don't like our conclusions because rather than validate your victimhood we just mock you for it.
                    Last edited by Darth Executor; 07-05-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

so you know White Privilege right?

It is liberals who want whites to feel guilty for being white? And that only white people are racists? and of course that ALL white people are racist.

And most conservatives say they are nuts?

Well their counter-"punch" is White Fragility.

====

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-...t-racism-twlm/

So basically if you argue against "white privilege" or "white racism" then it is only because of "white fragility" and they can dismiss your argument. I just went through this with a nut on facebook.
                      These are the same sort of people who decried Wonder Woman because she was portrayed as being white and heterosexual (see here for an example).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        These are the same sort of people who decried Wonder Woman because she was portrayed as being white and heterosexual (see here for an example).
                        And had her pits shaved...
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It is not their arguments that are ignored.

It's interesting that you've judged the content of that debate, and judged the content of of my friend's points, without having read them, and no knowledge of their content other than the point they argued for.
                          That's not what I did. I commented on the fact that the people who use "White Fragility" as an excuse don't even bother to argue that the other person is wrong, they just use the ad hominem of "white fragility" and can safely ignore the other person's argument altogether.

This is the problem with conservatism. It can't deal with criticism except by childish, tu quoque responses.... and of course...
                          sometimes a taste of your own medicine will get people to realize how idiotic they are being. Apparently not with you though.

...reappropriation of terms. #fakenews
                          now that was funny.

Comment

So why isn't Anime complete "cultural appropriation" of White culture because they are obviously drawing all of their characters with WHITE people's eyes and features instead of asian?

In fact, using a white actor to play an anime character makes more sense than using a Japanese actor because the white actor looks more "anime"

I mean, she doesn't look Japanese in the cartoon. She looks white.

tumblr_inline_onpk3fHvLI1rlrtrt_540.gif

the whole complaint is just silly. it is a CARTOON. Who cares what race plays what characters?

Comment

So why isn't Anime complete "cultural appropriation" of White culture because they are obviously drawing all of their characters with WHITE people's eyes and features instead of asian?

In fact, using a white actor to play an anime character makes more sense than using a Japanese actor because the white actor looks more "anime"

I mean, she doesn't look Japanese in the cartoon. She looks white.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23203[/ATTACH]

the whole complaint is just silly. it is a CARTOON. Who cares what race plays what characters?
                              Astro Boy, which is basically the first anime was heavily inspired by Disney animation/art. Especially the work of Carl Barks.

Comment