Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

I Lose - As Usual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think being late would not be good grounds for denying unemployment. Usually it gets denied because the employee does something really bad, like stealing or violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I would think being late would not be good grounds for denying unemployment. Usually it gets denied because the employee does something really bad, like stealing or violence.
      Yeah, there would really need to be well documented case of repeated offenses. Unless the offense is really horrific, there really needs to be demonstrated progressive discipline, like our dear friend JimL suggested.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yeah, there would really need to be well documented case of repeated offenses. Unless the offense is really horrific, there really needs to be demonstrated progressive discipline, like our dear friend JimL suggested.
        wait. what? JimL was rig- er r-r- corr-- er, not wrong?

Comment

wait. what? JimL was rig- er r-r- corr-- er, not wrong?
          I even amen'd him! On purpose! Without trying to report him and accidentally hitting the amen button.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In lots of places new hires are placed on very strict guidelines about missing a day or being late. The system might have automatically kicked her out if she accrued enough "points" for violations.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              In lots of places new hires are placed on very strict guidelines about missing a day or being late. The system might have automatically kicked her out if she accrued enough "points" for violations.
              if it is a pattern, and more than a few minutes, then yeah, I can see it. But if it is just a couple of minutes or only a time or two, then I would think she could fight it. They would need to show reprimands in writing, or at least a consistent pattern in her punch cards.

Comment

Punch cards?

3b8e092a-bee3-4813-8ea4-e0006d0a82c2.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't have time to explain in detail but for the record, I WASN'T late. I had received a written warning - I had to call in a couple times when I was moving and I really was late from lunch on one occasion because I got held up at the grocery store (30 minutes isn't a lot of time for more than grab something - and the store had trouble with the customer before me - and I was really hungry) - but I was NOT late after that - I kept records (not sure I have them but I might). The main one I know wasn't me being late - I had told my supervisor that the computer had me in break for 23 minutes while I was on a call - guess how late they said I was that day.

I only got the warning because of the one previous - three more days and the 90 days would have expired but I had to move and couldn't find a place and ended up having to call in. Tardy/absence is only excused if you schedule it a day in advance. Not kidding.

Okay, so that was more detailed than I'd planned.

I will send the appeal letter tomorrow - I don't want to wait to hear from the lawyer next week.

In other news, I'm debating moving to Huntsville or maybe heading south to Florida instead. My blog has the details (well, you have to read my writing so you might wanna wait til tomorrow when I have time to update here.).

Anyway, thanks everyone. I do appreciate the support.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Only in CGI's case, it NEVER ends - I had converted from temporary to permanent. Heck, I wasn't even on the phone most days because I was working case management so even if I had been late - I wasn't - it hurt nothing.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

if it is a pattern, and more than a few minutes, then yeah, I can see it. But if it is just a couple of minutes or only a time or two, then I would think she could fight it. They would need to show reprimands in writing, or at least a consistent pattern in her punch cards.
                      Pattern - I had been absent without prior leave once in March - just shy of the 90 probationary period for being absent without prior leave - and yes, I called. I don't remember now if the one in December was illness or car. I think illness - but it wasn't something I could schedule in advance or go to work anyway.

So effectively, I couldn't clear points that had been accrued six MONTHS earlier. Only in May did they decide that being late from lunch and break was going to be enforced. I already explained about the lunch - the break I was written up for was an accident. So, In a 90 day period I was late from lunch once and late from break once. After the warning, I wasn't late at all - didn't stop them from firing me for it, of course.

Yeah, I'm a real problem employee, I am...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Pattern - I had been absent without prior leave once in March - just shy of the 90 probationary period for being absent without prior leave - and yes, I called. I don't remember now if the one in December was illness or car. I think illness - but it wasn't something I could schedule in advance or go to work anyway.

So effectively, I couldn't clear points that had been accrued six MONTHS earlier. Only in May did they decide that being late from lunch and break was going to be enforced. I already explained about the lunch - the break I was written up for was an accident. So, In a 90 day period I was late from lunch once and late from break once. After the warning, I wasn't late at all - didn't stop them from firing me for it, of course.

Yeah, I'm a real problem employee, I am...
                        That is definitely not a pattern.

Knowing you're going to be late and calling your employer ahead of time shows you were trying to keep your employer in the loop. They can not hold issues with transportation (if it's once) or illness against you either, so those are off the table - especially if you were trying to do the right thing and let your boss know.

It's not willful misconduct.

https://employment-law.freeadvice.co...eing-fired.htm

When an employer terminates an employee because of absences and alleges that this termination should disqualify him from a claim for unemployment benefits, the employer typically must prove that there was no good cause for the absence and/or that no notice was provided. The number of absences or the length of the absences may be a factor as well. For instance, in the state of Colorado, the employer must prove three or more separate instances of unexcused absences with no notice and/or no cause within the twelve months prior to the termination.
                        Also, "being late is" is usually related to showing-up for work, not lunch breaks. Yes, they can fire you for it, but the state likely doesn't understand these were lunch breaks, and not being tardy.

My dad was laid off once, and they denies his unemployment because of they said he was "fired" when he was really "laid off" - even though both situations still qualified. So it's likely the boobs at the workforce don't even understand what 'being late' actually was, and took a vague reply from an employees word for it.
                        Last edited by Sea of red; 07-06-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

well I am glad to hear you are thinking of moving.

I found the perfect moving van for you:

catcar1.jpg

rear view:

stick-family-crazy-cat-lady.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                            That is definitely not a pattern.

Knowing you're going to be late and calling your employer ahead of time shows you were trying to keep your employer in the loop. They can not hold issues with transportation (if it's once) or illness against you either, so those are off the table - especially if you were trying to do the right thing and let your boss know.

It's not willful misconduct.

https://employment-law.freeadvice.co...eing-fired.htm

Also, "being late is" is usually related to showing-up for work, not lunch breaks. Yes, they can fire you for it, but the state likely doesn't understand these were lunch breaks, and not being tardy.

My dad was laid off once, and they denies his unemployment because of they said he was "fired" when he was really "laid off" - even though both situations still qualified. So it's likely the boobs at the workforce don't even understand what 'being late' actually was, and took a vague reply from an employees word for it.
                            Thank you.

I had a phone interview - the examiner I talked to knew full well it was about breaks and lunches.

I mailed the appeal letter today. Then realized I hadn't included some information. So I'll do it again tomorrow - and send this one return receipt.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Huntsville Maybe a good place to start over. South Alabama Has SO many problems as it is (I have family in Coffee County I can rattle them off like no one else......)
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                                Huntsville Maybe a good place to start over. South Alabama Has SO many problems as it is (I have family in Coffee County I can rattle them off like no one else......)
                                About the only thing I'm pretty sure of is I'm not staying in South Alabama.

I love this state - it's home - but I'm not really sure I want to live in it any longer.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment