Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Oregon approves measure requiring insurers to cover abortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    What is modern is the hysteria surrounding the issue as clearly displayed by your immoderate rant.
    Again, what do you mean by modern?

Considering Evangelicalism has only been around since the 1800s, your claim is laughable.

Previously the issue was open to rational discussion and numerous Evangelicals were pro-choice as evidenced by the quote from Baptist minister W.A. Criswell, pastor of First Baptist in Dallas, TX.
    Again, within the cultural context of that day. Abortion was truly "rare" in that day, and was typically only for saving the life of the mother. You simply can not foist modern abortion on demand ideas on Rev. Criswell's statement.

As I have said before... so what? He was wrong, and admitted that he was wrong later in life. Criswell also vehemently held to a young earth. You want to use the same standard for discussions on age of the earth? Where is the "rational discussion" on THAT Criswell belief? Fact is, like the age of the earth, we know much more now about human embryology than we did in 1973.

These are very sensible sentiments in my view and in keeping with the traditional Jewish attitude to which Jesus himself probably adhered.
    You have no clue what Jesus "probably adhered" to, and you've been shown more than once that abortion on demand was never allowed in Judaism.

It was not until the late 1970's that abortion was turned into the highly charged emotional political issue we see today, thanks to the likes of you.
    I just proved above that the AMA made it a "highly charged" issue in the 1800s through an official report to Congress in the mid 1800s. But keep fooling yourself. It's comical to watch you keep getting destroyed and acting like you won.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Oregon approves measure requiring insurers to cover abortion

Insurance companies in Oregon would be required to cover abortions and other reproductive services at no cost to the patient regardless of income, citizenship status or gender identity under a measure approved Wednesday by lawmakers.

Oregon already has some of the most liberal abortion laws in the U.S., leaving out otherwise common requirements for waiting periods or spending limits on taxpayer funds.

The measure, which does offer some religious-based exemptions, comes as the federal government and other states are seeking restrictions on abortion services.

May God have mercy on their souls.
      Good for Oregon.
      Last edited by JimL; 07-19-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Good for Oregon.
        immoral asshat.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          immoral asshat.
          What do you think of the republican health care legilation Bill? Never mind, I already know the regard you have for the lives of those that we all agree to be human beings. Hypocritical immoral asshat!

Comment

What do you think of the republican health care legilation Bill? Never mind, I already know the regard you have for the lives of those that we all agree to be human beings. Hypocritical immoral asshat!
            Honestly, the whole "You disagree with me on healthcare legislation? You sadistic murderer!" thing is a little tired at this point. I deduct 10 points; try to go for some creativity next time.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

What do you think of the republican health care legilation Bill?
              When they have an actual plan they agree on, I'll let you know.

Never mind, I already know the regard you have for the lives of those that we all agree to be human beings. Hypocritical immoral asshat!
              No you don't know.
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Good for Oregon.
                This Oregonian vehemently disagrees.
                I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  A clockmaker cuts and polishes the first gearwheel of a new clock and then goes home to bed. The next day he finds it stolen. Did the thief steel the clock being made?
                  Are you not human when you enter your geriatric phase? If not, then at what stage of growth are you not human?

Oh yeah - NONE. Biology don't work that way. Science: it's what's for breakfast.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Are you not human when you enter your geriatric phase? If not, then at what stage of growth are you not human?

Oh yeah - NONE. Biology don't work that way. Science: it's what's for breakfast.
                    Even if he didn't steal a clock, a crime was still committed. This is why I don't read firstfloor.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      I just proved above that the AMA made it a "highly charged" issue in the 1800s through an official report to Congress in the mid 1800s. But keep fooling yourself. It's comical to watch you keep getting destroyed and acting like you won.
                      You didn't, actually. You have your one guy vs his one guy. Your guy just leveraged the group he was in. The site you cited makes that clear...
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                        This Oregonian vehemently disagrees.
                        I'm not pro-abortion (it's complicated), but I'm not sure I'm with you on this one. I'm generally against the (any) health insurance system, so making them cover more services seems like a step in the right direction to me.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          Even if he didn't steal a clock, a crime was still committed. This is why I don't read firstfloor.
                          That's true, but wasn't his point - I don't think. I admit, I had to read it a few times before getting any idea what he was talking about.

I think he's saying that the embryo is not human therefore no murder occurs - which, if true, would counter my point that God did in fact address the matter in the Ten Commandments. It's patently false so my original point stands, but I think that's what he was trying to do.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                            I'm not pro-abortion (it's complicated), but I'm not sure I'm with you on this one. I'm generally against the (any) health insurance system, so making them cover more services seems like a step in the right direction to me.
                            It's a freedom thing as well as let's not make other people pay for your (im)moral decisions.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              Yet another issue God, if he exists, seems to have failed to adress properly. But again it probably made sure the theologians had a job arguing both forth and back while big decisions were made in real life with real implications.
                              Humm... I guess 'thou shall not murder' isn't clear enough for some.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Ironic, coming from a supporter of abortion.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment