Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Playing God Argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing God Argument

We should not play God by trying to take innocent life. God has the right to determine when someone dies. I have heard people say in response to this, "If God alone decides how long a person will live, then we should not try to save someone's life if his life is being threatened." How would you respond to this?

People will make the same kind of response to the idea that it is up to God when a person will be born. They say, "If it is up to God when a person will be born, then people should not take steps to make themselves more fertile." How would you respond to this?

God's will allows for human free will. He is omniscient, just consider what that means.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

If God just wants us to not try to help people, then you can pretty much throw out the entire Bible

Take the story of the Good Samaritan. Maybe he should have just said, "Not my business, it's God's will if the guy lives or dies"

Jaxb,

Why do you keep posting threads with completely ignorant questions like this? Then usually run away and don't participate in the thread?

Comment

I've read that the phrase "in the image of God" means that we are supposed to represent God on earth.

Genesis 1:26
        And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

We are supposed to play God.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
          I have heard people say in response to this, "If God alone decides how long a person will live, then we should not try to save someone's life if his life is being threatened."
          To be blunt, I think such a question is so dumb that it is undeserving of response. That was the same sort of logic by the guy who tried to tell William Carey not to be a missionary because he was a Calvinist and figured if God wanted people to be saved, he would do it himself.
          Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-10-2017, 09:09 AM.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
            We should not play God by trying to take innocent life. God has the right to determine when someone dies. I have heard people say in response to this, "If God alone decides how long a person will live, then we should not try to save someone's life if his life is being threatened." How would you respond to this?

People will make the same kind of response to the idea that it is up to God when a person will be born. They say, "If it is up to God when a person will be born, then people should not take steps to make themselves more fertile." How would you respond to this?
            Response: God has also created secondary causes, such human beings, moral virtues, and moral obligation, as well as the virtue of prudence. He has also revealed the Golden Rule.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X