Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Catholic Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    Yeah "'nuff said" because this passage does not support what you are asserting.

Praying to Baal is worshiping Baal (1 Kings 18:26). Your example of asking someone to pray for you did not work as well because as I already pointed out many times prayers are silent.

Pray only to God and you will be doing what the Bible teaches is the correct thing to do.
    I don't think any Catholics have ever suggested sacrificing bulls to Mary. Assuming that's true, let me know if not, it does not seem like your comparison with 1 Kings 18,26 is valid.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

When they prayed "O Baal, answer us" is that worshiping Baal?

Comment

When they prayed "O Baal, answer us" is that worshiping Baal?
        Sounds like a prayer, not necessarily worship. And, like I said, this was in the context of sacrificing a bull, which is what makes this a matter of worship. If Catholics were to sacrifice a bull to Mary and then ask her to her to receive this sacrifice, that would be comparable to this passage.

Comment

So if someone walked by and said "You shouldn't worship Baal" and they responded by saying, "We aren't worshiping Baal. We are praying to him" would they (the followers of Baal) have a valid point?

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            Wow. Excommunicated in the formal sense, or refusing to offer you communion in public, or privately advising you not to seek communion? Don't get me wrong. All are wrong in my opinion.
            It's a long story, and it involves me quoting scripture and calling the priest biblically illiterate.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So if someone walked by and said "You shouldn't worship Baal" and they responded by saying, "We aren't worshiping Baal. We are praying to him" would they (the followers of Baal) have a valid point?
              Not if they were sacrificing a bull to Baal. And not if they considered Baal to be a god of some kind. Catholics do not worship Mary, they do not consider her to be a god, and they do not sacrifice bulls to her.

Comment

Bunk. Ok keep praying to Baal because you aren't really worshiping him.

Prayer is worship - The Bible elsewhere teaches prayer is worship without a sacrifice being made.

Furthermore, Catholics will assert that only God is to receive latria but one of the ways Anna rendered latreuw was by prayers in Luke 2:37.

and then as a widow to the age of eighty-four. She never left the temple, serving night and day with fastings and prayers. (NASB)

TDNT: The Ministry of Prayer: Elsewhere the references of latreuein is to the general ministry of prayer and praise, e.g., adoration in Mt. 4:10; Rev. 7:15; 22:3, prayer and supplication in Lk. 2:37; Acts 26:7. (TDNT 4:62, latreuw, Strathmann)
                Last edited by foudroyant; 04-02-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Bunk. Ok keep praying to Baal because you aren't really worshiping him.

Prayer is worship - The Bible elsewhere teaches prayer is worship without a sacrifice being made.
                  Your insults and false accusations do not really help your case or improve your credibility. I do not pray to Baal. You simply made that up. You should be ashamed of yourself for making up such derogatory things.
                  Last edited by robrecht; 04-02-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

By saying that even though they were praying to him they weren't worshiping him is pathetic. By defending Mary worship you are in the same category of worshiping Baal.
                    The shame is on you.

Comment

By saying that even though they were praying to him they weren't worshiping him is pathetic. By defending Mary worship you are in the same category of worshiping Baal.
                      Oh, I see your problem is compounded by an inability to understand. I did not say they were not worshiping Baal and I did not defend Mary worship. You just made up two more things.

Comment

You are defending them in their prayers to Mary and yes prayer is worship.

Comment

The shame is on you.
                          I'm not perfect, but at least I don't make up false accusations.

Comment

You hide from the truth.
                            Prayer is worship. The RCC defends their blasphemy of praying to Mary by saying it isn't.

Comment

You are defending them in their prayers to Mary and yes prayer is worship.
                              Asking Mary, or anyone else, to pray for you is not worship of a god. You do not seem to have the vaguest I idea of what I have said or defended.

Comment

You hide from the truth.
                                Prayer is worship. The RCC defends their blasphemy of praying to Mary by saying it isn't.
                                More untruths. You're doing very well, aren't you.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X