Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Civil Discourse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    Honestly? It's not just Tweb.

Since the last Election, I can't even skim Facebook during a trip to the ol' Thunder Bucket without people going Full Tilt when it comes to Politics. Heck... the gaming chats I'm a part of- for the most part- have a strict, "No Politics or Religion," discussion rule simply because of how volatile the discussions can get.
    I think gaming chats have had that policy for a long time, though. Every clan/org/guild/whatever I've ever been a part of that had a lick of experience knew to ban religious and political discussions. Take that to PMs or just shut up and play the game.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      I think gaming chats have had that policy for a long time, though. Every clan/org/guild/whatever I've ever been a part of that had a lick of experience knew to ban religious and political discussions. Take that to PMs or just shut up and play the game.
      Sometimes. Others were pretty chill about the subject till the last election, and then things went to pot pretty quick (not actual pot, as the wacky tobacky would probably have mellowed people out).
      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Sometimes. Others were pretty chill about the subject till the last election, and then things went to pot pretty quick (not actual pot, as the wacky tobacky would probably have mellowed people out).
        And then the munchies!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

At the football site I frequent, there's a fair amount of annoyance directed at ESPN for the political messages commentators have been espousing lately. We watch sports to get away from outside cares like politics for a moment.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Antifa anarchist 1: You wanna go riot and, like, you know burn stuff or something?

Antifa anarchist 2: Huh?

Antifa anarchist 1: There's a Dump Trump protest downtown tonight.

Antifa anarchist 2: *hehe* More like a dump on Trump.

Antifa anarchist 1: Well? You wanna go?

Antifa anarchist 2: I don't know man, I just kinda wanna chill for awhile.

Antifa anarchist 1: But we hate Trump

Antifa anarchist 2: Yeah, he sucks!

Antifa anarchist 1: He #@&& @%#$!

Antifa anarchist 2: Yeah!

But I still just wanna chill.

Antifa anarchist 1:

Can we post "#Trump@&$%%" on line?

Antifa anarchist 2: Sure man, sure. I'm gonna see what's on Net Flix.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
              I read an article this week who was surprised to not find an equal level of rancor on both sides. He expected to find in the democratic party the same levels of vitriol he was used to seeing in the Republican party, and didn't. He seems amazed that even Bernie supporters who completely disagree with him on policy engage him in positive and respectful ways.
              It's rather anecdotal. Plus, one seldom finds rancor from like-minded individuals. Now, have him leave the Dem party for the Repub one , and then report on his findings... It's just as bad from the other side too...

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2...tical-insults/
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                Standing strongly for a cause is not the same as doing so uncharitably. It's possible to be strong and forthright in ones own views without over the top attacks on others.

Having observed US politics for some time now as an outsider, I would say that there is much much more of a "war" mentality among Republicans. For quite a while now a lot of right-wing outlets have deliberately cultivated an aggressive and partisan mentality among their followers. Anything is viewed as justifiable as long as their 'side' wins. That's very much not the case among democrats, not on the same scale, not even close.
                You are completely incapable of taking an honest look at your side so your observations mean absolutely nothing.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  And then the munchies!
                  RPG's are munchie inducers - snacks are a necessary component.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    At the football site I frequent, there's a fair amount of annoyance directed at ESPN for the political messages commentators have been espousing lately. We watch sports to get away from outside cares like politics for a moment.
                    And here I thought everyone who was into football already shared a political view.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

And here I thought everyone who was into football already shared a political view.
                      Football may be the sport that has the broadest appeal across the political spectrum. Baseball, golf, and auto racing tend conservative, and basketball and soccer tend liberal.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Football may be the sport that has the broadest appeal across the political spectrum. Baseball, golf, and auto racing tend conservative, and basketball and soccer tend liberal.
                        Wow, conservatives have really boring taste in sports.

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I quit football when Johnny Unitas quit.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think these days a lot more serious issues are being discussed, and the stakes are much higher for a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I quit football when Johnny Unitas quit.
                              Quite possibly the worst move the Steelers ever made was cutting Johnny U his rookie season. He was a local kid, but he was drafted over the objections of the head coach, who didn't let him throw the ball once during training camp.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Quite possibly the worst move the Steelers ever made was cutting Johnny U his rookie season. He was a local kid, but he was drafted over the objections of the head coach, who didn't let him throw the ball once during training camp.
                                And I thought I knew pretty much everything about him.

Comment