Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Online Shopping Hints and Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Shopping Hints and Suggestions

I'm doing more online shopping for stuff I'd normally do locally.

I have always been a "shop local" advocate, but lately I find the retail stores seem a bit dismissive or even snobby -- so much for customer service. I have actually discussed this with our Chamber of Commerce people, because they naturally push for a "shop locally" mentality, but I can't justify that if the price is considerably lower elsewhere, and they have much better customer service elsewhere.

ANYWAY, I have been trying something with some of the online stores --- most recently LL Bean --- and it's a lot of fun.

I do my shopping, get the stuff in the "shopping cart" (or bag or whatever they like to call it) then log out and wait a few days. It's AMAZING how I'll get a 20% off coupon code from that retail store within a couple days, or some other "aw come on, go ahead and check out" incentive.

Since we're building a house, I've been ordering a LOT of stuff from Amazon, and am VERY pleased with how easy it is to return stuff. MOST of the stuff I deal with has a "cross ship" policy ---- they'll send you the replacement immediately, while giving you up to 14 days to return the unwanted item. Only if you do not return the unwanted item within 14 days do they charge you for the replacement.

For example, I couldn't decide which 1000' of Cat 5e I wanted, so I ordered BOTH boxes. Then, after reading some more reviews, clicked the "return" button on the one I decided against, and all I had to do was print a UPS label and drop the box off at our local UPS store! It puts the easy in peasy!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Yeah Amazon is pretty good. They don't seem to do the 20% off coupon thing if you don't check out though.

I have been using Amazon for nearly 20 years now. I think they are single-handedly changing the way people shop.

I was telling a friend of mine that it seems like we have come full circle. Used to be there were no retail stores and people had to order everything mail order from Sears & Roebuck and Montgomery Ward catalogs. Then retail stores and malls came along and pretty much wiped out mail order business. Sears became a retail store in malls. Now we are back to mail order (well online ordering) and it is taking the place of retail stores and Sears stores and malls all over the place are shutting down.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Yeah Amazon is pretty good. They don't seem to do the 20% off coupon thing if you don't check out though.

I have been using Amazon for nearly 20 years now. I think they are single-handedly changing the way people shop.

I was telling a friend of mine that it seems like we have come full circle. Used to be there were no retail stores and people had to order everything mail order from Sears & Roebuck and Montgomery Ward catalogs. Then retail stores and malls came along and pretty much wiped out mail order business. Sears became a retail store in malls. Now we are back to mail order (well online ordering) and it is taking the place of retail stores and Sears stores and malls all over the place are shutting down.
      THAT, and the fact that when I go to one of the recommended suppliers from my builder, they tell me "we can have that in 3-4 weeks", I'm thinking, "OK, I can get it for LESS the day after tomorrow!"
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, I've been using Amazon for almost that long. Another good place for parts is ebay - $40 bucks got me the parts I needed to fix my dryer, which is something like 40 years old but otherwise works fine.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          THAT, and the fact that when I go to one of the recommended suppliers from my builder, they tell me "we can have that in 3-4 weeks", I'm thinking, "OK, I can get it for LESS the day after tomorrow!"
          now for certain things I still want to be able to browse the item live, like clothes, shoes, appliances and TV's. I might eventually buy them online if I can't make a deal with the retailer, but I want to be able to check out the item first. Like I am looking for a new dishwasher. I won't buy that from Amazon if I can find it locally. Locally I can compare the various models, probably talk the salesman down, and get my old one hauled away when the new one is delivered and installed. If I order it from Amazon, I am in trouble if something doesn't work out. I am not a plumber by any means, so I would have to hire a plumber which would probably cost more than the cost of delivery and installation from Lowes or someplace like that.

Comment

Maybe not full circle - you can't use a cell phone as a booster seat, door stop or emergency TP - unlike the Sears catalog!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

now for certain things I still want to be able to browse the item live, like clothes, shoes, appliances and TV's. I might eventually buy them online if I can't make a deal with the retailer, but I want to be able to check out the item first. Like I am looking for a new dishwasher. I won't buy that from Amazon if I can find it locally. Locally I can compare the various models, probably talk the salesman down, and get my old one hauled away when the new one is delivered and installed. If I order it from Amazon, I am in trouble if something doesn't work out. I am not a plumber by any means, so I would have to hire a plumber which would probably cost more than the cost of delivery and installation from Lowes or someplace like that.
              If you can connect a water hose to the spigot, you can connect a washer.

Me personally, I'd rather have someone else do all that heavy lifting, hauling and cursing when the stupid drain isn't high enough...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I like Amazon prime for when I a, not sure which thing I most need/want, like which pair of shoes will fit better. Also for Christmas if I plan early for the rush.

We do some of our grocery shopping on Amazon and save by having several regular subscriptions. Subscriptions can include products that are every two or probably three months.

Woot is related to Amazon and has some great deals including flash sales with significant discounts. Also a source of electronics and cool t-shirts.
                I am become death...

Comment