Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Video killed the Tardis star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

SIgh.

I liked the Captain Jack character on Torchwood until they made him gay and I stopped watching that show. I guess I will stop watching Doctor Who too. Sad. Unless maybe they make the drag queen the villain.
    Captain Jack was always sexually fluid, but it was kept far in the background, at least for his Doctor Who appearances. I never watched Torchwood, but I understand his sexuality became a focus of the program.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

SIgh.

I liked the Captain Jack character on Torchwood until they made him gay and I stopped watching that show. I guess I will stop watching Doctor Who too. Sad. Unless maybe they make the drag queen the villain.
      I'm pretty sure he was bisexual going all the back in early episodes of his in Doctor Who. It was all through innuendo and blink and you will miss it moments but it didn't come out of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Captain Jack was always sexually fluid, but it was kept far in the background, at least for his Doctor Who appearances. I never watched Torchwood, but I understand his sexuality became a focus of the program.
        Not just his but everyone's. Only a few episodes in they had a lesbian sex scene due to some kind of special pheromones that made them sex crazy. I quit watching in the middle of the episode.

Comment

I haven't watched the Doctor since David Tennant. I liked him and most of his predecessors, but the actors started getting weak after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            I haven't watched the Doctor since David Tennant. I liked him and most of his predecessors, but the actors started getting weak after that.
            David Tennant was my favorite but the guy right before him was pretty good. Matt Smith wasn't bad but he couldn't fill the shoes of David Tennant. I haven't seen much before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

David Tennant was my favorite but the guy right before him was pretty good. Matt Smith wasn't bad but he couldn't fill the shoes of David Tennant. I haven't seen much before then.
              The actors immediately before Tennant didn't have very long tenures. They varied from OK to good, but they didn't stick around long enough for me to fully accept them. I wonder if some actors audition for the role simply to use it as a springboard or to add to their resume?

The two I recall most vividly are Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, because they held the role for so long (more than 10 years between just the two of them). I liked the Pertwee era, he was a character.

Comment

Matt Smith was very good, and Peter Capaldi was outstanding.

Comment

Tennant is my second favorite with only Baker ahead of him. I really liked the guy just before Tennant, who restarted the series but only did one season. IMHO, Smith was also very good but he had big shoes to follow after Tennant.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Tennant is my second favorite with only Baker ahead of him. I really liked the guy just before Tennant, who restarted the series but only did one season. IMHO, Smith was also very good but he had big shoes to follow after Tennant.
                    Christopher Eccelston was the one to kick off the revival series, and he was fantastic. It has never been made entirely clear why he left after only one season, but from the bits and pieces I've gathered, it was a combination of getting burned from the hectic production schedule, and simply not liking the people he was working with. There was one story that made the rounds early on about how he reamed out one of the show's directors for disrespecting a production assistant, and I think his relationship with the show runners cooled considerably after that to the point that he didn't want to have anything to do with Doctor Who for many years afterwards, which is a shame, because the 50th anniversary special was supposed to feature him, Tennant, and Smith, but he turned it down. He's since come around, though, and has reprised the 9th Doctor in audio dramas.

Comment

I've only seen a handful of episodes from before Christopher Eccleston's run. Most of those starred an old guy with somewhat curly gray hair. I think I saw one episode with Tom Baker and while good wasn't enough for me to really get to know how version of the character.

Comment

I've only seen a handful of episodes from before Christopher Eccleston's run. Most of those starred an old guy with somewhat curly gray hair. I think I saw one episode with Tom Baker and while good wasn't enough for me to really get to know how version of the character.
                        The writing was better back then.

Today it's not difficult to see where the story is going or how it'll end but back then it was often a surprise. I'd rewatch it and yes, like the Sixth Sense all the clues are clearly laid out, but in such a manner that it wasn't obvious like today.

As for the FX... well, somethings have definitely improved.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The actors immediately before Tennant didn't have very long tenures. They varied from OK to good, but they didn't stick around long enough for me to fully accept them. I wonder if some actors audition for the role simply to use it as a springboard or to add to their resume?

The two I recall most vividly are Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, because they held the role for so long (more than 10 years between just the two of them). I liked the Pertwee era, he was a character.
                          That's quite possible it was only a job they took while looking for something else. Mountain Man mentioned that the guy before David Tennant was Christopher Eccleston and while he was only in one season I did like him. If David Tennant hadn't done such an amazing job I probably would have quit watching the show after he left.

Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker seem to be some of the more recognized versions of The Doctor. I think it was some of Pertwee's run that I got to see and liked, but I only got to see one or two episodes with Baker.

Comment

That's quite possible it was only a job they took while looking for something else. Mountain Man mentioned that the guy before David Tennant was Christopher Eccleston and while he was only in one season I did like him. If David Tennant hadn't done such an amazing job I probably would have quit watching the show after he left.

Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker seem to be some of the more recognized versions of The Doctor. I think it was some of Pertwee's run that I got to see and liked, but I only got to see one or two episodes with Baker.
                            The only issue I had with Pertwee had nothing to do with him but the stupid decision to strand him on earth and replace the TARDIS with some jalopy he putted around the countryside in.

Comment

The only issue I had with Pertwee had nothing to do with him but the stupid decision to strand him on earth and replace the TARDIS with some jalopy he putted around the countryside in.
                              The few episodes I saw had him use it a couple of times but yeah that was an issue. I'm guessing budget cuts had something to do with it.

Comment

As for the FX... well, somethings have definitely improved.
                                I think the production values have improved while the writing has gotten worse. Not to say that there haven't been some stellar episodes in Nu Who, but, overall, the stories are more generic and less inventive and memorable compared to the classic series.

Comment