Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Video killed the Tardis star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I think the production values have improved while the writing has gotten worse. Not to say that there haven't been some stellar episodes in Nu Who, but, overall, the stories are more generic and less inventive and memorable compared to the classic series.
    Which Doctor starred in "Blink"? I think that was Tennant. That was a creative story.

Comment

pertwee.jpg
      Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I've only seen a handful of episodes from before Christopher Eccleston's run. Most of those starred an old guy with somewhat curly gray hair. I think I saw one episode with Tom Baker and while good wasn't enough for me to really get to know how version of the character.
      That sounds like Pertwee. If you are savvy on clothing trends, you can see his run was in the early 70s.

Comment

I think the production values have improved while the writing has gotten worse. Not to say that there haven't been some stellar episodes in Nu Who, but, overall, the stories are more generic and less inventive and memorable compared to the classic series.
        Basically, it's been dumbed down.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker seem to be some of the more recognized versions of The Doctor. I think it was some of Pertwee's run that I got to see and liked, but I only got to see one or two episodes with Baker.
          I discovered Doctor Who while growing up in New Jersey and was fortunate to have WNJN as a local PBS station which was one of the premier supporters of Doctor Who in the US and aired the entire run of the series from the first Doctor all the way up to the seventh when the show ended its original run in 1989, so I've seen almost every episode of the classic series. They showed the stories in a "movie format", so instead of, say, four 30 minute episodes, you would have a two hour "movie", so they were able to cram an entire series worth of episodes into a significantly shorter time frame. Although for some stories it could be real slog, such as the second Doctor story "The War Games" which was ten episodes long. What would have been two weeks worth of television in England translated into a single "movie" with a run time of nearly five hours!
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-06-2023, 08:26 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            The only issue I had with Pertwee had nothing to do with him but the stupid decision to strand him on earth and replace the TARDIS with some jalopy he putted around the countryside in.
            Ah, I really like the Pertwee episodes. Some of my favorite stories in all of Doctor Who were during his tenure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Which Doctor starred in "Blink"? I think that was Tennant. That was a creative story.
              Yes, "Blink" is an amazing episode. It's one of those rare stories that even someone wholly unfamiliar with Doctor Who can enjoy it.

Comment

I discovered Doctor Who while growing up in New Jersey and was fortunate to have WNJN as a local PBS station which was one of the premier supporters of Doctor Who in the US and aired the entire run of the series from the first Doctor all the way up to the seventh when the show ended its original run in 1989, so I've seen almost every episode of the classic series. They showed the stories in a "movie format", so instead of, say, four 30 minute episodes, you would have a two hour "movie", so they were able to cram an entire series worth of episodes into a significantly shorter time frame. Although for some stories it could be real slog, such as the second Doctor story "The War Games" which was ten episodes long. What would have been two weeks worth of episodes in England translated into a single "movie" with a run time of nearly five hours!
                I watched Doctor Who on PBS as well.

It was always their biggest money maker during one of their fund-raising telethons, bringing in more than Nova, Sesame Street or Nature. But it was also the first show that they would preempt for something, anything, else.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, "Blink" is an amazing episode. It's one of those rare stories that even someone wholly unfamiliar with Doctor Who can enjoy it.
                  It was scary. Just by chance, it was the first episode my daughter watched and she got hooked on Doctor Who after that.

Comment

It was scary. Just by chance, it was the first episode my daughter watched and she got hooked on Doctor Who after that.
                    My wife refused to watch it after seeing other episodes with the Weeping Angels. She found them unnerving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That was the one with the Weeping Angels, right? If so that's one of my favorite episodes.

pertwee.jpg

That sounds like Pertwee. If you are savvy on clothing trends, you can see his run was in the early 70s.
                      Yup, that's him. I'm not savvy with much of anything fashionable really. Even among my special interests of video games and animation I tend to like stuff that isn't as mainstream with a few exceptions.

I discovered Doctor Who while growing up in New Jersey and was fortunate to have WNJN as a local PBS station which was one of the premier supporters of Doctor Who in the US and aired the entire run of the series from the first Doctor all the way up to the seventh when the show ended its original run in 1989, so I've seen almost every episode of the classic series. They showed the stories in a "movie format", so instead of, say, four 30 minute episodes, you would have a two hour "movie", so they were able to cram an entire series worth of episodes into a significantly shorter time frame. Although for some stories it could be real slog, such as the second Doctor story "The War Games" which was ten episodes long. What would have been two weeks worth of television in England translated into a single "movie" with a run time of nearly five hours!
                      I found it shortly after it came to the Sci-Fi channel with Christopher Eccleston's run. I didn't even find out it was a long running series until David Tennant's run and they explained regeneration. I was born in 87 so I would have been two years old when the older show ended its run. I also tended to avoid live-action shows when I was younger so I might have simply missed reruns if they were airing.

Comment

• I have all of the old classic Dr Who episodes digitized.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

My wife refused to watch it after seeing other episodes with the Weeping Angels. She found them unnerving.
                          They are doing their job then.

A lot of the other major antagonists were also pretty unnerving. Cyber Men, Daleks, those living plastic aliens, etc. Oh, and not a major antagonist type but there was that creature that absorbed people and their faces were stuck all over its body.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

They are doing their job then.

A lot of the other major antagonists were also pretty unnerving. Cyber Men, Daleks, those living plastic aliens, etc. Oh, and not a major antagonist type but there was that creature that absorbed people and their faces were stuck all over its body.
                            Stephen Moffat who created the Weeping Angels was a master of nightmare fuel. You want to close your eyes when there's a scary monster? Well here's one that only moves when you close your eyes!

In a later episode, he created a monster (I forget the name, something like Vashta Narada?) that was literally the dark. Which is to say the monster didn't hide in the dark, it was the dark!

And then there were the Silence, which were monsters you would forget about the moment you looked away. In fact, you could have seen one standing behind you just a second ago and forgotten all about it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I have all of the old classic Dr Who episodes digitized.
                              I have a few dozen DVDs of classic stories, but it would be far too expensive to try and buy the entire series run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I have a few dozen DVDs of classic stories, but it would be far too expensive to try and buy the entire series run.
                                I recorded off them off of PBS, and rented some of the DVDs from Netflix. I think I am missing a couple of the later series with Sylvester McCoy, but I never really liked him.

Comment