Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Faith vs Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    your first sentence is a great summary. But we must make clear that the 'object' of our faith is not scripture but rather God.
    Actually, I had Jesus Christ in mind.

As such, our faith is toward God ... in his love, power, workings and promises. Scripture then provides the framework of knowledge which helps form our hope.
    And I break out in song once again....

My hope is built on nothing less
    Than Jesus Christ, my righteousness;
    I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
    But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
    All other ground is sinking sand,
    All other ground is sinking sand.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      In Habakkuk the word does not mean faithfulness.

Habakkuk 1:12
      Art thou not from everlasting,
      O Lord my God, mine Holy One?
      we shall not die.
      O Lord, thou hast ordained them for judgment;
      and, O mighty God, thou hast established them for correction.

Habakkuk 2:2-4
      And the Lord answered me, and said,
      Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables,
      that he may run that readeth it.
      For the vision is yet for an appointed time,
      but at the end it shall speak, and not lie:
      though it tarry, wait for it;
      because it will surely come, it will not tarry.
      Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him:
      but the just shall live by his faith.

When it says, "We shall not die," it is probably referring to life in heaven and/or the resurrection. Hence, when it says, "The just shall live by faith," it is saying that the just will experience this resurrection if they believe in it. It doesn't have anything to do with "faithfulness," as you called it. It has to do with faith.
      Paul's use and citations, and the Hebrews use and citation, are in conflict with that analysis.
      Romans 1: 16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for ... is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
      Galatians 3:11 that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
      Hebrews 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if [any man] draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
      : citation of Habakkuk 2:4, phrase order reversed, Septuagint in full, except that "my" is omitted.

The Septuagint disagrees with the analysis
      Habakkuk 2:2 The Lord said ... 4 ... the righteous shall live by MY faith.
      κυριος και ειπεν ... ο δε δικαιος εκ πιστεως μου ζησεται

The dictionaries disagree with the analysis
      וְ·צַדִּ֖יק but the just
      H6662 צַדִּיק tsaddiyq (tsad-deek') adj.
      just. (lawful, righteous)

בֶּ·אֱמוּנָת֥·וֹ by faith
      H530 אֱמוּנָה 'emuwnah (em-oo-naw') n-f.
      אֱמֻנָה 'emunah (em-oo-naw') [shortened]
      1. (literally) firmness.
      2. (figuratively) security.
      3. (morally) fidelity.

יִחְיֶֽה׃ shall live
      Last edited by tabibito; 07-21-2017, 04:10 AM.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Drawing back has to do with faith, not faithfulness. And I don't care what the Septuagint says, especially since it disagrees with Paul's translation.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
          Drawing back has to do with faith, not faithfulness. And I don't care what the Septuagint says, especially since it disagrees with Paul's translation.
          Paul translated the Hebrew without alteration: "the just shall live by faith" - English translators add "his", the Septuagint added "my" ... none of which affects the meaning of the Hebrew word in the slightest.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment