Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Faith vs Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith vs Hope

Let's pretend you're teaching a Bible Study on Faith and Hope, comparing and contrasting the two.

Where would you start?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Start with Habakkuk 2:4, the just shall live by his faith.
    Point out that it is quoted 3 times in the New Testament (twice by Paul)
    Point out that the Hebrew word translated as "faith" means loyalty, trustworthiness, faithfulness.
    Run away quick.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Hebrews 11
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Hebrews 11
        Excellent choice.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          Run away quick.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            Hebrews 11
            Heb. 11:1 is a good contrast all by itself. Perhaps contrast Heb 11 with Rom 8:12-25.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Let's pretend you're teaching a Bible Study on Faith and Hope, comparing and contrasting the two.

Where would you start?
              Tell the class that while they have faith you will teach them well, you hope you won't let them down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabibito
                Start with Habakkuk 2:4, the just shall live by his faith.
                Point out that it is quoted 3 times in the New Testament (twice by Paul)
                Point out that the Hebrew word translated as "faith" means loyalty, trustworthiness, faithfulness.
                In Habakkuk the word does not mean faithfulness.

Habakkuk 1:12
                Art thou not from everlasting,
                O Lord my God, mine Holy One?
                we shall not die.
                O Lord, thou hast ordained them for judgment;
                and, O mighty God, thou hast established them for correction.

Habakkuk 2:2-4
                And the Lord answered me, and said,
                Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables,
                that he may run that readeth it.
                For the vision is yet for an appointed time,
                but at the end it shall speak, and not lie:
                though it tarry, wait for it;
                because it will surely come, it will not tarry.
                Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him:
                but the just shall live by his faith.

Chapters 1 and 2 of Habakkuk repeatedly describe the wicked rule of kingdoms such as the Babylonians, and explain that in spite of all the apparent chaos, God is still in control, and that God will ultimately dominate all these kingdoms. It repeatedly uses language emphasizing the truthfulness of the "vision" laid out by God. By emphasizing the truthfulness and certainty of God's promises, the text is simply saying that we need to believe God's promise that he will one day conquer the earth, in spite of the present evidence to the contrary. "For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea." (Habakkuk 2:14).

When it says, "We shall not die," it is probably referring to life in heaven and/or the resurrection. Hence, when it says, "The just shall live by faith," it is saying that the just will experience this resurrection if they believe in it. It doesn't have anything to do with "faithfulness," as you called it. It has to do with faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Tell the class that while they have faith you will teach them well, you hope you won't let them down.

It's not me who's teaching it ... one of our college students wants to prepare a lesson like this for his peer Bible study. I know the scriptures, I was hoping I'd get some more....

thanks

Comment

Where would you start?
                    How about this as a start?

Faith depends on really knowing a person and experiencing that they are reliable. When they say they'll do something, it happens.
                    Hope doesn't have that experience with a person. So if they say it, one hopes it will happen. Hope is more likely to be disappointed.

Bringing it into Christian terms. A new believer who doesn't have a lot experience with God working in their life, will hope God does something. As believer matures and understands how God is working in their life, they will grow in faith.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

They are the same thing.

Romans 8:24
                      For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

Comment

But in Christ we have a sure hope.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                          How about this as a start?

Faith depends on really knowing a person and experiencing that they are reliable. When they say they'll do something, it happens.
                          Hope doesn't have that experience with a person. So if they say it, one hopes it will happen. Hope is more likely to be disappointed.

Bringing it into Christian terms. A new believer who doesn't have a lot experience with God working in their life, will hope God does something. As believer matures and understands how God is working in their life, they will grow in faith.
                          I my experience faith is what gives hope life. If you think of hope as not just desperate wishing, but an actual optimism in a good outcome.

If you trust someone and have faith, your can have hope in them coming through for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I my experience faith is what gives hope life. If you think of hope as not just desperate wishing, but an actual optimism in a good outcome.

If you trust someone and have faith, your can have hope in them coming through for you.
                            I've often heard it said (and it makes sense) that it's not the intensity of your faith, but the object of your faith that's important. You can have all the faith in the world that Joseph Smith, for example, is a for really prophet, but 'that don't make it so'.

Incidentally, we had an awards banquet for Adult Teen Challenge in town, and they were touting their motto "putting hope within reach"... I like that.

Comment

I've often heard it said (and it makes sense) that it's not the intensity of your faith, but the object of your faith that's important. You can have all the faith in the world that Joseph Smith, for example, is a for really prophet, but 'that don't make it so'.

Incidentally, we had an awards banquet for Adult Teen Challenge in town, and they were touting their motto "putting hope within reach"... I like that.
                              your first sentence is a great summary. But we must make clear that the 'object' of our faith is not scripture but rather God. As such, our faith is toward God ... in his love, power, workings and promises. Scripture then provides the framework of knowledge which helps form our hope.

Comment