Thread: Chick Tract

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'm waiting for heavy metal Gregorian chants
    Gregorian chant is a cappella. Heavy metal is not.

This may be the closest you get:

or perhaps this:
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'm waiting for heavy metal Gregorian chants
    In fact...you may be interested in a band called Batushka.

You have but to ask.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I learned about Stryper yesterday.
    Not Gregory an chant but still awesome.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    In fact...you may be interested in a band called Batushka.

You have but to ask.
    I could also recommend the little-known Epta Astera.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Roman Rite Catholic XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    Hrm... where did he claim the Catholic Church was behind Dungeons and Dragons? I know he thought Dungeons & Dragons was the tool of the devil or something like that, but I don't recall him connecting it explicitly with the Catholic Church.

What I find interesting, however, is that despite his constant tirades against the Catholic Church, he's quite silent in regards to Eastern Orthodoxy despite the fact that almost all of his doctrinal criticisms of the Catholic Church apply just as much to Eastern Orthodoxy. Eastern Orthodoxy is mentioned a few times on his site, in a negative light as you might expect, but the lack of mentions compared to the constant criticisms of Catholicism is a little odd. One might say it's simply because Catholicism is much bigger than Eastern Orthodoxy, but Eastern Orthodoxy is much larger than Mormonism, which was a frequent target of his.

Surprisingly, Jack Chick was apparently actually a really nice guy in person, if this account of meeting him is any indication.
    That’s what comes of writing posts late at night. He doesn’t attribute D and D to the CC, but the other stuff, he does. That, and pop music, are among the things he does not blame on the CC. What is possibly more surprising is that he did not blame the 1929 Crash, say, or the Vietnam War, on the CC. Perhaps the answer is that he was reliant on various sources for the things he does blame on it, but had no source connecting those two events to it.

The CC is historically the great enemy of Christianity/the American Way/Democracy/Freedom/the Bible for a certain strain of US Protestantism, just as it was the Whore of the Apocalypse for much of earlier Protestantism; that may explain why the Orthodox don’t get much attention. If the Papacy is “Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth”, that pretty much reduces all Churches with features comparable to the CC to bit-players. This identification of the Papacy has always been rather Europe-centred; the pre-Reformation Eastern Christianities (including those united with the Roman Papacy) have been largely ignored.

Mormonism, for all its differences from US Protestantism, has nothing like the Eldritch Horror status “enjoyed” by the CC. OTOH, as a religion “made in America”, Mormonism may have impressed itself upon Chick far more than Orthodoxy did. Especially as the US was until recently quite explicitly “Protestant America”. And the Reformation was a protest against Rome, not against Orthodoxy - when in 1582 Lutheran theologians wrote to the Patriarch Jeremias II, they were quite conciliatory; it is difficult to imagine their making more or less irenic overtures to Pope Gregory XIII.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    That’s what comes of writing posts late at night. He doesn’t attribute D and D to the CC, but the other stuff, he does. That, and pop music, are among the things he does not blame on the CC. What is possibly more surprising is that he did not blame the 1929 Crash, say, or the Vietnam War, on the CC. Perhaps the answer is that he was reliant on various sources for the things he does blame on it, but had no source connecting those two events to it.

The CC is historically the great enemy of Christianity/the American Way/Democracy/Freedom/the Bible for a certain strain of US Protestantism, just as it was the Whore of the Apocalypse for much of earlier Protestantism; that may explain why the Orthodox don’t get much attention. If the Papacy is “Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth”, that pretty much reduces all Churches with features comparable to the CC to bit-players. This identification of the Papacy has always been rather Europe-centred; the pre-Reformation Eastern Christianities (including those united with the Roman Papacy) have been largely ignored.

Mormonism, for all its differences from US Protestantism, has nothing like the Eldritch Horror status “enjoyed” by the CC. OTOH, as a religion “made in America”, Mormonism may have impressed itself upon Chick far more than Orthodoxy did. Especially as the US was until recently quite explicitly “Protestant America”. And the Reformation was a protest against Rome, not against Orthodoxy - when in 1582 Lutheran theologians wrote to the Patriarch Jeremias II, they were quite conciliatory; it is difficult to imagine their making more or less irenic overtures to Pope Gregory XIII.
    The feeling was mutual for the Catholics at the time and even today you can upon rare occasion find some that still feel that way.

I'm always still in trouble again

7. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.