Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chick Tract

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    They are very inclusive. When taught about Christ they added him into their traditional beliefs. Not abandoning anything.
    That sounds a great deal like Hinduism.

I'm always still in trouble again

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    That sounds a great deal like Hinduism.
    Pantheistic cultures generally - including the Celts in the earlier centuries.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Pantheistic cultures generally - including the Celts in the earlier centuries.
    And the Romans.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen Carrikature amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    They are very inclusive. When taught about Christ they added him into their traditional beliefs. Not abandoning anything.

The Indians here are dead serious about their beliefs. I managed a large ag co-op for years and had to hire a medicine man many times. If you found a snake on your property, or an owl, the Navajo clientele refused to trade with us until the proper ceremony was held. The medicine men don't accept white man's money, so you had to figure out a suitable trade for their services.
    yeesh.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    And the Romans.
    One of the interesting things about religion to me is how you can watch cultures intermingle and stories get borrowed/modified.
    I'm not here anymore.

7. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Jack Chick was very serious. He saw demons and witchcraft everywhere, including in the Catholic church. Even in D&D games.
    Especially in the Catholic Church. For Chick, the CC was the source of pretty much all evil:

Catholicism AKA the worship of Nimrod, Semiramis, and Tammuz
    Popes
    Jesuits
    Bibles other than the AV-kjv
    Islam
    Nazism
    Dungeons and Dragons
    WW1
    WW2
    The assassination of Lincoln (by Jesuits, natch)

Druids may or may not be the fault of the Pope, but they are certainly - in the Chickverse - Babylonian.
    Rock music, like evolution and homosexuality, is also satanic - possibly without involving the Pope or the Jesuits. If there is a stone for a devil to hide under, Chick lifted it. If it doesn't fit into Chick's world-view - satandunnit.

I don't recall any mention of Marx, Lenin and co. being Catholics, but there probably is one - I've not read all Chick's output, so have probably missed a lot. He thought Mohammed married a Catholic nun; that Kaiser Wilhelm II, a Lutheran, was a Catholic; and that Cardinal Newman was a Jesuit - so it would be no surprise if Chuck thought Marx and co. were Catholics. Careful scholarship was not his forte.

I doubt he thought up an original conspiracy theory in his life; his Grand Unified Theory about the CC is cribbed from the works of others. The real Big Bad in the Chickverse is satan - the Popes are, at most, his Dragons.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    Especially in the Catholic Church. For Chick, the CC was the source of pretty much all evil:

Popes
    Jesuits
    Islam
    Nazism
    Dungeons and Dragons
    WW1
    WW2

Druids may or may not be the fault of the Pope, but they are certainly - in the Chickverse - Babylonian.
    Rock music, like evolution and homosexuality, is also satanic - possibly without involving the Pope or the Jesuits. If there is a stone for a devil to hide under, Chick lifted it. If it doesn't fit into Chick's world-view - satandunnit.

I don't recall any mention of Marx, Lenin and co. being Catholics, but there probably is one - I've not read all Chick's output, so have probably missed a lot. He thought Mohammed married a Catholic nun; that Kaiser Wilhelm II, a Lutheran, was a Catholic; and that Cardinal Newman was a Jesuit - so it would be no surprise if Chuck thought Marx and co. were Catholics. Careful scholarship was not his forte.

I doubt he thought up an original conspiracy theory in his life; his Grand Unified Theory about the CC is cribbed from the works of others. The real Big Bad in the Chickverse is satan - the Popes are, at most, his Dragons.
    Well there you go. Obviously he was on to something.

I'm always still in trouble again

10. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post

Popes
    Jesuits
    Islam
    Nazism
    Dungeons and Dragons
    WW1
    WW2
    Hrm... where did he claim the Catholic Church was behind Dungeons and Dragons? I know he thought Dungeons & Dragons was the tool of the devil or something like that, but I don't recall him connecting it explicitly with the Catholic Church.

What I find interesting, however, is that despite his constant tirades against the Catholic Church, he's quite silent in regards to Eastern Orthodoxy despite the fact that almost all of his doctrinal criticisms of the Catholic Church apply just as much to Eastern Orthodoxy. Eastern Orthodoxy is mentioned a few times on his site, in a negative light as you might expect, but the lack of mentions compared to the constant criticisms of Catholicism is a little odd. One might say it's simply because Catholicism is much bigger than Eastern Orthodoxy, but Eastern Orthodoxy is much larger than Mormonism, which was a frequent target of his.

Surprisingly, Jack Chick was apparently actually a really nice guy in person, if this account of meeting him is any indication.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    Hrm... where did he claim the Catholic Church was behind Dungeons and Dragons? I know he thought Dungeons & Dragons was the tool of the devil or something like that, but I don't recall him connecting it explicitly with the Catholic Church.

What I find interesting, however, is that despite his constant tirades against the Catholic Church, he's quite silent in regards to Eastern Orthodoxy despite the fact that almost all of his doctrinal criticisms of the Catholic Church apply just as much to Eastern Orthodoxy. Eastern Orthodoxy is mentioned a few times on his site, in a negative light as you might expect, but the lack of mentions compared to the constant criticisms of Catholicism is a little odd. One might say it's simply because Catholicism is much bigger than Eastern Orthodoxy, but Eastern Orthodoxy is much larger than Mormonism, which was a frequent target of his.

Surprisingly, Jack Chick was apparently actually a really nice guy in person, if this account of meeting him is any indication.
    He may not have thought that they were sufficiently distinguishable to merit special attention. And Orthodoxy in English-speaking countries is relatively small (and not nearly as pushy for converts as Mormonism).

I grew up in a church which distributed Chick tracts, and I never even heard of Orthodoxy until I joined the Navy (there was a Greek in my boot camp company).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

13. Amen Darth Executor, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Dan found one in Wal mart a couple days ago. Read through it. We thus far have collected "The Death Cookie" "Hail Mary/Hail Satan" "Where did all the Dinosaurs go" (There's two of those with different stories) "This is your life" and the other "This is your life" Also a couple about Halloween. Ugh. He's dead and people are still passing his asshattery around.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

15. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.