Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

T-rex Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-rex Question

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...D=ansmsnnews11

This occurred to me while I was tormenting Rogue - which I realize doesn't narrow it down much.

Anyway, serious question and no, I am not trying to start anything.

How do they know these things weren't water dwelling? The modern animals I know of that resemble the walking structure live in and around water (with one exception, a bird that uses it's beak to help it climb). The dinosaurs like T-rex look like wading birds to me - I was just wondering why they are believed to have been land dwellers instead?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

probably because they are not found near fish or with fish in their bellies?

Comment

Darn, and here I thought this was going to be a Marc Bolan question.

When you say water dweller, what sort of bird exactly do you have in mind? Like flamingos? Cranes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Relevant to this, we've actually found Tyrannosaur bite marks on the skeletons of other animals, and they were land dwellers.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          Relevant to this, we've actually found Tyrannosaur bite marks on the skeletons of other animals, and they were land dwellers.
          But wouldn't that also be true of crocodiles that often prey on land dwelling animals?

Okay, I admit I don't get how a T-rex could loom over the water waiting for something to wander too close but then again, I don't get how anything would let itself get close to one of those things.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Darn, and here I thought this was going to be a Marc Bolan question.

When you say water dweller, what sort of bird exactly do you have in mind? Like flamingos? Cranes?
            Yes, but I had ducks and geese more in mind. Something wading more shallow - simply because that's what it reminds me of.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Yup. Generally things like hadrosaurs and Triceratops (which are terrestrial) made up most of their diet. But, much like many top level predators today, they weren't above scavenging, so it could vary. And if you want to see what the jaws of a huge dinosaur predator that was geared toward being a piscivore check out Spinosaurus, which lived in northern Africa not long before T rex came on the scene -- and was larger than a T rex[1].

There are other details such as where (the type of deposits) their fossilized poop (coprolites), footprints and bones have been found in. Plus comparative morphology with other tyrannosauroids and other theopods. At

I should add that I saw a lot of, shall we say, "imaginative" depictions of Spinosaurs out there.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                And the digested bones of the same types of animals they bit have been found in their coprolites (fossilized poop).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Yup. Generally things like hadrosaurs and Triceratops (which are terrestrial) made up most of their diet. But, much like many top level predators today, they weren't above scavenging, so it could vary. And if you want to see what the jaws of a huge dinosaur predator that was geared toward being a piscivore check out Spinosaurus, which lived in northern Africa not long before T rex came on the scene -- and was larger than a T rex[1].

There are other details such as where (the type of deposits) their fossilized poop (coprolites), footprints and bones have been found in. Plus comparative morphology with other tyrannosauroids and other theopods.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23362[/ATTACH]

I should add that I saw a lot of, shall we say, "imaginative" depictions of Spinosaurs out there.
                  I probably should explain the bolded part a bit further.

All of the T rex fossils come from what is known as the Hell Creek Formation, which has been dated at being from the Late Cretaceous and found in sections of Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming.

When T rex were alive the area was fluvial in nature -- a flat, forested floodplain.

ETA: Tarbosaurus which was T rex's close cousin from China that was nearly as big and lived around the same time also inhabited floodplains
                  Last edited by rogue06; 07-19-2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    But wouldn't that also be true of crocodiles that often prey on land dwelling animals?

Okay, I admit I don't get how a T-rex could loom over the water waiting for something to wander too close but then again, I don't get how anything would let itself get close to one of those things.
                    All T-Rex fossil are found in uplands.

All the T-Rex tracks found are in terrestrial sediments. The bone, leg and foot structure is that of a land dweller. Actually the feet of land birds are close to the structure of T-Rex. Water birds have webbed feet. Sea dinosaurs mostly have webbed feet, or flippers. Coast dinosaurs have partial or full webbed feet.

The dinosaurs that were in the diet were land dwellers we have no evidence of T-Rex bit marks on the sea creatures. There were sea dinosaurs that were equivalent predators of T-Rex. One was crocodile relative with a T-Rex like head, and was larger than the T-Rex. Other crocs looked like crocs, and crocs are mainly land reptiles the hunt in the rivers and coastal waters. Another was sea dinosaur carnivore Tyrosaurus was a species of Mosasaur.) larger than the T Rex and very much adapted to the Ocean. If T-Rex wandered into the water it probably would be eaten.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-19-2017, 04:29 PM.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Um, uplands or floodplains? Upland implies above the floodplain, to my understanding.

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the answers!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Although, Teal, there is some pretty good evidence that T-rex did live near the water and fished for food.

TREX-fishing-screenshot.jpg

Comment

Although, Teal, there is some pretty good evidence that T-rex did live near the water and fished for food.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23369[/ATTACH]
                          And enjoyed jet skiing

0000000000000atc3.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Um, uplands or floodplains? Upland implies above the floodplain, to my understanding.

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the answers!
                            I include flood plain as the domain of upland animals whe contrasting the habitat of animals with marine, lakes, and river environments.
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23369[/ATTACH]
                              "You got a fishing permit for that rod?"

<Insert opening sequence from Kung Fury here>

(And if you like T.rex, get a good look at Katana's ride.)

"Tank you."

rossum
                              Last edited by rossum; 07-21-2017, 03:33 AM.

Comment