Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

USA Today movie review: "no lead actors of color"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a reason Megyn's new show on NBC is getting beaten by reruns of America's Funniest Home Videos.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Oh that was Megyn Kelly: Professional Politically Incorrectness. She later said it was just a joke, a non-pology, but that's about as good as it gets with her type.

'Jesus was a white man, too. It's like we have, he's a historical figure that's a verifiable fact, as is Santa, I just want kids to know that. How do you revise it in the middle of the legacy in the story and change Santa from white to black?'

What made it particularly wrong is that while historically Jesus was probably not anglo-saxon, neither was Saint Nicholas who was from Turkey.
      So, this wasn't actually a news program, it was just a mindless talking heads bit? And I'm assuming the context was that a blogger on Slate suggested that Santa Claus be portrayed as black or something? If so, a charitable listen might be that she was drawing comparisons to the popular misconception by some in the black community (like those in the Nation of Islam, Rastafarians, Black Hebrew Israelites, etc.) that Jesus was ethnically a black African. In that respect, Jesus was certainly lighter skinned. Again, a charitable listen is that she misspoke, and simply meant that Jesus was not ethnically African. Course, that could be a wrong reading of the situation. I don't know much about her, and she sounds like a bit of an airhead. These "news" commentators tend to unthinkingly say whatever pops into their heads for entertainment value, and then people on the other side of the political divide exaggerate for effect. It's why I hate politics. It's just so divisive and petty.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift
        So, this wasn't actually a news program, it was just a mindless talking heads bit?
        Aren't those the whole point of Fox News? Glenn Beck, Megyn Kelly, and other people saying anti-pc stuff and making nazi comparisons? Trolling liberals, which tickles conservatives in lieu of being actually funny?

I'm only asking as those are the only impressions I have of Fox News.

Comment

Aren't those the whole point of Fox News? Glenn Beck, Megyn Kelly, and other people saying anti-pc stuff and making nazi comparisons? Trolling liberals, which tickles conservatives in lieu of being actually funny?

I'm only asking as those are the only impressions I have of Fox News.
          I don't have cable, but from the brief periods I've seen it, it was my understanding that Fox News actually has news programming, and then around the programming they have talking heads shows that are just pure entertainment. Pretty sure that's true for all of their competitors too. So you have one channel of anti-pc stuff, trolling liberals, and tickling conservatives, and then three or four other networks are doing the exact opposite, saying super pc stuff, trolling conservatives, and tickling liberals. Absolutely nothing for us middle of the road guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I don't have cable, but from the brief periods I've seen it, it was my understanding that Fox News actually has news programming, and then around the programming they have talking heads shows that are just pure entertainment. Pretty sure that's true for all of their competitors too. So you have one channel of anti-pc stuff, trolling liberals, and tickling conservatives, and then three or four other networks are doing the exact opposite, saying super pc stuff, trolling conservatives, and tickling liberals. Absolutely nothing for us middle of the road guys.
            This is accurate.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Sounds weird, danish news certianly aren't like that. Interspering political comments and entertainment with news reporting. We just have the news, nationally sponsored. At best we have the program called The Debate, where some intellectuals together with a strong moderator discuss a particular issue.

Comment

Sounds weird, danish news certianly aren't like that. Interspering political comments and entertainment with news reporting. We just have the news, nationally sponsored. At best we have the program called The Debate, where some intellectuals together with a strong moderator discuss a particular issue.
                Regular network news is like that. But Fox News like CNN is a 24/7 news channel. They can't just report the news 24 hours a day. It would be too boring. So they have various other shows, like commentaries and discussion panels to fill the space.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Regular network news is like that. But Fox News like CNN is a 24/7 news channel. They can't just report the news 24 hours a day. It would be too boring.
                  DR Update is like that. Just news. My mom's husband loves having that channel running constantly in their house. When it runs out of news, it just loops the last hour or so of whatever came in.

DR - Danish Radio (our official nationally sponsored news channel - this is a social democracy afterall)

Comment

DR Update is like that. Just news. My mom's husband loves having that channel running constantly in their house. When it runs out of news, it just loops the last hour or so of whatever came in.

DR - Danish Radio (our official nationally sponsored news channel - this is a social democracy afterall)
                    If I recall, CNN used to do that when it first came out back in the 80s. All news all day. But like Mtv they realized they could attract more viewers, and thus more advertisers, if they added shows to the lineup.

Comment

If I recall, CNN used to do that when it first came out back in the 80s. All news all day. But like Mtv they realized they could attract more viewers, and thus more advertisers, if they added shows to the lineup.
                      I prefer online news to be honest, but I belong to a different generation. Though if I had to, I'd have it like DR Update.

Comment

CNN used to have CNN headline news channel (might still do) which was basically looped news of the top stories, that repeated every half hour or so, and was updated a couple of times a day. it was (is?) meant to catch you up any time you have a few minutes.

Comment

They had two channels, as I recall. There was CNN, which had the usual talking head stuff, then there was CNN Headline News which was essentially a 24/7 newscast. I actually didn't mind Headline News because it was just the news without the commentary. It seemed less biased, probably because they just told you the story without telling you what you were supposed to think or feel about it.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I prefer online news to be honest, but I belong to a different generation. Though if I had to, I'd have it like DR Update.
                            I mostly ignore the news. I find life is much more peaceful when you're not loaded down with all that negativity. When I want to hear the news, I'll listen to something like your version of DR (it's called National Public Radio here) on my drive to work, and then catch glimpses of Fox at the gym in the evening. I figure the truth is usually someplace down the middle.

Comment

I mostly ignore the news. I find life is much more peaceful when you're not loaded down with all that negativity. When I want to hear the news, I'll listen to something like your version of DR (it's called National Public Radio here) on my drive to work, and then catch glimpses of Fox at the gym in the evening. I figure the truth is usually someplace down the middle.
                              I've largely done the same thing in the last few months; I have more than enough stress in my life that eliminating just one major stressor has done wonders for me. Major news stories are unavoidable for anyone active on social media so anything truly monumental that goes on is going to reach me anyway.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

about the only news I watch is Fox & Friends Sunday mornings.

I get most of my news by reading Starlight's posts.

Comment