Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

USA Today movie review: "no lead actors of color"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    about the only news I watch is Fox & Friends Sunday mornings.

I get most of my news by reading Starlight's posts.
    I think the last time I turned the TV on for news was the Columbia disaster. Before that, might've been 9-11. I find TV news to be mostly horribly inefficient at getting me information.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I think the last time I turned the TV on for news was the Columbia disaster. Before that, might've been 9-11. I find TV news to be mostly horribly inefficient at getting me information.
      I actually watched Columbia break-up over DFW that morning. It was odd that I happened to see it because normally I don't care, but that morning I was in Canton TX at a flea market, and was aware of the fly over.

I didn't think anything of it.

Comment

I think for me it was the Boston Marathon bomber manhunt.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Especially for breaking news where nobody's talking yet. All they do is repeat themselves every 5 minutes while wildly speculating.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I get most of my entertainment by reading Starlight's posts.
            I edited your statement to more accurately reflect what you probably meant.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I find TV news to be mostly horribly inefficient at getting me information.
              That's because their goal is not to inform but to "control exactly what people think".
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                That's because their goal is not to inform but to "control exactly what people think".
                Especially if it earns ratings! (but, lately, that doesn't seem to be as big a factor )
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Arguably, so do newspapers - but reading newspapers is a much more efficient use of my time.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Especially if it earns ratings! (but, lately, that doesn't seem to be as big a factor )
                    I think they have their audiences locked in by this point. They're not competing for viewers like other shows/channels have to do.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

FYI - the movie was great, beautifully filmed very little dialog. It can be a little confusing since it switches back and fourth on the time line. But you pick that up early - well my friend Mike didn't, I had to explain it after the movie.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        Wow. That's impressive! I had a small but growing DVD collection, but then Blu-ray came out. I started collecting those, but then Netflix came out with HD. Now I mostly stream movies, which means I've had to get pretty inventive in seeing some of the movies on the 1001 list. Especially old exotic films that are no longer in print. If I were to start collecting again, I'd probably wait till 4K became more of a standard. The other day I was at a bookstore that had a huge Criterion collection (Criterion is a company known for restoring classic, foreign, and cult films). Saw a bunch of films I really wanted, but they were asking $60 bucks a pop for the cheaper Blu-rays. So I guess I'll stick to streaming for now. Criterion has started working with another company to make high quality streams with extras called Filmstruck. Just started a 14 day subscription. Pretty good collection.
                        Ours is one that has grown over many years and I see no reason to get rid of DVDs that still play and are going to work till at least the end of this decade and likely part of the next. Netflix is good and we use it, but they have a tendency to remove perfectly good programs and are shifting to more and more original content and relative new releases.

If you find yourself plugging through the list, let me know. I always have a blast talking about movies.
                        No problem. Most of the ones on that list I've seen are the ones post 1950s anyway. Although I've at least heard of most of the others.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment