Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

USA Today movie review: "no lead actors of color"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Not familiar with it. I'll have to check that out.
    Capture.JPG
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      I found an interesting blog post :

Source: http://ancestralenergies.blogspot.com/2010/05/where-were-black-people-at-dunkirk.html

Where Were the Black People at Dunkirk?

The UK is currently commemorating the 70th anniversary of Dunkirk. There will be a celebration in Dunkirk later this week.

In case you are not sure what this refers to, in 1940, during the early days of the Second World War, Britain and France suffered defeat at the hands of Germany, and their troops were stranded on the French beaches at Dunkirk.

More than 900 little ships came from Britain, evacuated the British and French forces and ferried them across the Channel to safety. They were able to rescue thousands of troops over the course of several days. This is often reported as an example of wartime British bravery and comradeship.

What is rarely talked about is the fact that many troops in the French Army were from Africa, and the little ships refused to take the Black soldiers. They left them on the beaches for the Germans to capture, and many ended up in Auschwitz. Senegalese director Sembene Ousmane mentions this in his film Camp Thioroye, which is based on the true story of a massacre of African soldiers by the French Army during the war.

© Copyright Original Source

True? I don't know. The link to the Hidden Histories article is dead. Just thought it was interesting.
      I've been working through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list, and right now I'm concentrating on films from the 40s. I was surprised to see, I think, 1, maybe 2 British black soldiers in a film from the period. It was likely incredibly rare, and probably none were at Dunkirk, but they did apparently exist. I imagine they largely came from a colony like Jamaica or something.

Speaking of Dunkirk, if you like old-timey movies, I suggest checking out the touching British film Mrs. Miniver which was released only a couple years after the event in question, and is about a family who becomes involved in the Dunkirk evacuation.

For a really interesting take on the subject of blacks in the US military from the same period, you can't go wrong with the Italian film Paisan. Released in 1946, the film offers six different segments on how the war affected Italy. The second segment involves a realistic take on an American MP named Joe who identifies with the squalor of the displaced Italian poor. Great film.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]23367[/ATTACH]
        Yeah, he looks pretty Semitic. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Jesus is white, blue eyes, blond hair, and speaks King James English with a British accent. Everybody knows that.
          If the King James Bible was good enough for Jesus and the Apostles then it's good enough for me.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            If the King James Bible was good enough for Jesus and the Apostles then it's good enough for me.
            Verily, verily!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Speaking of Dunkirk, if you like old-timey movies, I suggest checking out the touching British film Mrs. Miniver which was released only a couple years after the event in question, and is about a family who becomes involved in the Dunkirk evacuation.
              I own the film, one of my favorites!
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                No. all of the lead characters are men who are playing women who secretly had sex changes into men. Very convoluted. And Christopher Nolan is self-identifying as a black man for the purposes of this film in order to allow a person of color to have a lead role without spoiling the historical accuracy of the film. It's all good.
                Ok, then it is alright!
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Verily, verily!
                  This is one of my pet peeves of bible translation. The text is literally "Amen, amen", and everywhere else the word is used it is transliterated. Why not do the same there?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    This is one of my pet peeves of bible translation. The text is literally "Amen, amen", and everywhere else the word is used it is transliterated. Why not do the same there?
                    The King James is right, you are wrong! Get with the program!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      The King James is right, thou art wrong! Get with the program!
                      fify
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        Originally posted by seer
                        The King James is right, thou art wrong! Get thou with the program!
                        fify
                        fyffy
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Verily, verily!
                          The King James Bible is just a myth!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            The King James Bible is just a myth!!!
                            Then pirates are myths!

Comment

Then pirates are myths!
                              mythbustersPirateSpecial.jpg

Comment

Then pirates are myths!
                                The female ones, yes. The male ones are mythers.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment