Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

USA Today movie review: "no lead actors of color"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I've been working through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list
    As a side note, I can't comprehend wanting to see 1001 movies before I die. I don't know how a film qualifies as a 'must see'.

And who makes these lists, anyway? Why do they get to decide?
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      As a side note, I can't comprehend wanting to see 1001 movies before I die. I don't know how a film qualifies as a 'must see'.

And what happens if you die before you see them all?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

My wife got me a book a while back called "1001 Whiskies you must try before you die." Funny thing: there's at least one $40,000+ bottle on the list.

So...yeah. Not likely.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

At the rate I watch movies, I might make a tenth of that.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I just find it interesting that we're supposed to be colorblind with regard to race, but all the liberals think about is color.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Eh, I'm a bit of a film nut. Started with seeing films with my father, but went into full swing in highschool when a pal got me into Fangoria and cult film directors. We'd rent 6 VHS's at a time, and have huge marathons over the weekend. Took some film courses in college. I've already seen several thousand films. I'm currently over halfway through with this list. Films that qualify for "must see" are typically those that have changed film history, have had a profound or lasting effect on audiences, are noted cult films, are in an auteur's filmography, that sort of thing. Steven Schneider, a film critic and scholar edited the first edition of 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. Why did he get to decide it? Probably because he has a good grasp on the medium.

I've found my experience with the list extremely illuminating. So many absolutely phenomenal films I simply would never have seen had I not done this. And as a history nerd, there's so, so, SO much to learn. Whether it be fashion trends, workplace conditions, a look into someone's home. People's mental state during national/international events. The rise of WWI, Communism, The Depression, WWII, Vietnam, etc. Watching films from all over the world you see how people, thought, and how they lived or survived. You get so much insight into how people behave. The surrealist films of Bunuel, the dark expressionism of Lang, the profoundly moving work of Dreyer, the hilarity of Keaton, the stoicism of Eisenstein, the horror that is Riefenstahl, and that's just within the first 40 years.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              And what happens if you die before you see them all?
              I don't plan on finding out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I just find it interesting that we're supposed to be colorblind with regard to race, but all the liberals think about is color.
                It's the old totalitarian trick of keeping the people focused on their differences so they don't become united. Makes them easier to control.

Comment

Eh, I'm a bit of a film nut. Started with seeing films with my father, but went into full swing in highschool when a pal got me into Fangoria and cult film directors. We'd rent 6 VHS's at a time, and have huge marathons over the weekend. Took some film courses in college. I've already seen several thousand films. I'm currently over halfway through with this list. Films that qualify for "must see" are typically those that have changed film history, have had a profound or lasting effect on audiences, are noted cult films, are in an auteur's filmography, that sort of thing. Steven Schneider, a film critic and scholar edited the first edition of 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. Why did he get to decide it? Probably because he has a good grasp on the medium.

I've found my experience with the list extremely illuminating. So many absolutely phenomenal films I simply would never have seen had I not done this. And as a history nerd, there's so, so, SO much to learn. Whether it be fashion trends, workplace conditions, a look into someone's home. People's mental state during national/international events. The rise of WWI, Communism, The Depression, WWII, Vietnam, etc. Watching films from all over the world you see how people, thought, and how they lived or survived. You get so much insight into how people behave. The surrealist films of Bunuel, the dark expressionism of Lang, the profoundly moving work of Dreyer, the hilarity of Keaton, the stoicism of Eisenstein, the horror that is Riefenstahl, and that's just within the first 40 years.

I don't plan on finding out.
                  I've seen 97 on that list. I should also note that my husband and I have around 500-600 or so DVDs and blue rays and no repeats either.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

My wife and I have thousands of DVDs and television series boxsets.

We keep them at the library and pick them up whenever we want to watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      I've seen 97 on that list. I should also note that my husband and I have around 500-600 or so DVDs and blue rays and no repeats either.
                      Wow. That's impressive! I had a small but growing DVD collection, but then Blu-ray came out. I started collecting those, but then Netflix came out with HD. Now I mostly stream movies, which means I've had to get pretty inventive in seeing some of the movies on the 1001 list. Especially old exotic films that are no longer in print. If I were to start collecting again, I'd probably wait till 4K became more of a standard. The other day I was at a bookstore that had a huge Criterion collection (Criterion is a company known for restoring classic, foreign, and cult films). Saw a bunch of films I really wanted, but they were asking $60 bucks a pop for the cheaper Blu-rays. So I guess I'll stick to streaming for now. Criterion has started working with another company to make high quality streams with extras called Filmstruck. Just started a 14 day subscription. Pretty good collection.

If you find yourself plugging through the list, let me know. I always have a blast talking about movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        My wife and I have thousands of DVDs and television series boxsets.

We keep them at the library and pick them up whenever we want to watch them.

My local library went from a place that people spent hours reading and studying to a convenient place for homeless people to use the facilities and disheveled looking people to browse sketchy places on the internet while their crazy kids chase each other through the aisles. I don't really have any reason to go there anymore, and I'm pretty sure I've seen most of their DVD collection.

Comment

Fox News declared that Jesus was white? That's a really strange thing for them to say. I can't even imagine the context that something like that would come up in.
                          Oh that was Megyn Kelly: Professional Politically Incorrectness. She later said it was just a joke, a non-pology, but that's about as good as it gets with her type.

'Jesus was a white man, too. It's like we have, he's a historical figure that's a verifiable fact, as is Santa, I just want kids to know that. How do you revise it in the middle of the legacy in the story and change Santa from white to black?'

What made it particularly wrong is that while historically Jesus was probably not anglo-saxon, neither was Saint Nicholas who was from Turkey.

Last edited by Leonhard; 07-21-2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            Oh that was Megyn Kelly: Professional Politically Incorrectness. She later said it was just a joke, a non-pology, but that's about as good as it gets with her type.

'Jesus was a white man, too. It's like we have, he's a historical figure that's a verifiable fact, as is Santa, I just want kids to know that. How do you revise it in the middle of the legacy in the story and change Santa from white to black?'

What made it particularly wrong is that while historically Jesus was probably not anglo-saxon, neither was Saint Nicholas who was from Turkey.
                            Ironically, Santa is just about as far away from Saint Nicholas as white is from black. Santa may as well be white, because he bears almost no resemblance to St. Nicholas anyway.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Ironically, Santa is just about as far away from Saint Nicholas as white is from black. Santa may as well be white, because he bears almost no resemblance to St. Nicholas anyway.
                              That's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

Hey if George Zimmerman can be white so can Jesus.

Comment