Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

6 Months of Trump: 991 tweets, 0 major pieces of legislation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Yes we know, but do you think the rest of it was worth it though?
    seems like "the rest of it" has all been the doing of the liberals. Investigations into nothing, judges countermanding executive orders, protesting everything Trump does, antifa protesting free speech, calling everything everywhere "racist", destroying property, fake news stories, etc.

So your question is like if someone stood up for something right and you punched them in the face because of it, then asking them "was it worth it?"

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      Trump has now been in office 6 months.

During that time he's signed 0 major pieces legislation, with the widely-disliked Republican healthcare plan dying in the Senate this week.

Trump has tweeted 991 times from his personal account. He's spent almost one day in every four at a Trump branded golf-course or resort.

His approval rating is somewhere in 35-40% range, making him one of the most-disliked presidents at this point in his presidency since polling began.

Carrier celebrated Trump's 6 month anniversary by laying off over 300 workers, with over 300 more to follow before the end of the year as they move to Mexico.

Following his aggressive policies, the US military has now killed more civilians in 6 months under Trump in the Middle East than Obama did in 8 years. Refugees trying to make it out of the area report being regularly bombed and losing family members to US forces.

Initially Trump called for a 3 month ban on immigration from Muslim countries until he could "figure out what's going on"... 6 months later with that Muslim ban still tied up in the court system, the Trump administration appears no closer to having figured out what is going on.

Trump's withdrawal from the Paris Climate Change Agreement has left the US alone and friendless on the international stage and ceded global leadership to Germany and China.

Trump Jr has posted emails that show he attempted to collude with the Russians and "loved" the idea of the Russian government directly supporting the Trump campaign. Trump seems to have thought it was a great idea to have a couple of long meetings with Putin at the G20, one without anyone else present.

Mueller's probe of the Trump family and associates seems to be ramping up exponentially, with investigations into money laundering and the Trump family finances. Now I wouldn't be surprised to see more than three dozen different charges laid against more than half a dozen people.

60f4371f256cee570b5779db9086c802.gif
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        seems like "the rest of it" has all been the doing of the liberals. Investigations into nothing, judges countermanding executive orders, protesting everything Trump does, antifa protesting free speech, calling everything everywhere "racist", destroying property, fake news stories, etc.

So your question is like if someone stood up for something right and you punched them in the face because of it, then asking them "was it worth it?"
        So, you're saying the Democrats have become the "party of no" they've been accusing the Republicans of being?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So, you're saying the Democrats have become the "party of no" they've been accusing the Republicans of being?

Well, when the heinous white supremacist Nazi dictator President is OMG LITERALLY HITLER--THE END IS NIGH Donald Trump, any amount of no is justified.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Well, when the heinous white supremacist Nazi dictator President is OMG LITERALLY HITLER--THE END IS NIGH Donald Trump, any amount of no is justified.
            Yes, and with contempt and malice!

(Reminds me of when a Christian is really mad at somebody, they might say "it's not anger - it's righteous indignation".)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Trump must have realized when he became president, that he was in charge of a huge ship, with many people rowing, and he only held a tiny rudder to steer it with.

I can't deny that two justices sympathetic to religious liberty and prolife issues is a nice win. As long as Trump doesn't cause a major screwball for the rest of his presidency, I'll consider it not bad done. Even if he as a person is the grossest president I've seen in that office during my lifetime. He made me miss Bush.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                Trump must have realized when he became president, that he was in charge of a huge ship, with many people rowing, and he only held a tiny rudder to steer it with.

Good thing he has freakishly small hands!
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  Trump has now been in office 6 months.

During that time he's signed 0 major pieces legislation, with the widely-disliked Republican healthcare plan dying in the Senate this week.
                  1) What in the world is "major piece of legislation" supposed to mean? That's exceedingly arbitrary.
                  2) Why does this even matter? Something being "major" doesn't mean it's good.
                  3) Any lack of major legislation passing is the fault of congress. Trump can't sign what he's not given.

His approval rating is somewhere in 35-40% range, making him one of the most-disliked presidents at this point in his presidency since polling began.
                  And yet he's still more popular than his former opponent is!

Following his aggressive policies, the US military has now killed more civilians in 6 months under Trump in the Middle East than Obama did in 8 years. Refugees trying to make it out of the area report being regularly bombed and losing family members to US forces.
                  Yep, this one's bad. We should be less militarily involved in the Middle East, not more. That said, Hillary seemed more of a hawk than Obama, so I'm not entirely sure it would have been that much better under her.

Trump's withdrawal from the Paris Climate Change Agreement has left the US alone and friendless on the international stage and ceded global leadership to Germany and China.
                  Uh-huh. Can this be actually demonstrated? And no, politicians making blustering statements doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    1) What in the world is "major piece of legislation" supposed to mean? That's exceedingly arbitrary.
                    2) Why does this even matter? Something being "major" doesn't mean it's good.
                    3) Any lack of major legislation passing is the fault of congress. Trump can't sign what he's not given.
                    He promised you that as soon as he takes office Obamacare would be repealed and replaced, that he would lower the costs and it would be better healthcare. It would be so easy! He promised an infrastructure bill, tax reform etc etc. These were major promises made during his campaign. He hasn't delivered on any of them. What happened to the great deal maker? I'll tell you what happened. You were all conned, thats what happened.
                    And yet he's still more popular than his former opponent is!
                    No he isn't, he never was, Hillary won the popular vote by 3 million.
                    Yep, this one's bad. We should be less militarily involved in the Middle East, not more. That said, Hillary seemed more of a hawk than Obama, so I'm not entirely sure it would have been that much better under her.
                    We would be less militarily involved in the Middle East if G.W.Bush, or should I say D. Cheney, didn't involve us there. Not as easy to get out, as it is to get in!
                    Uh-huh. Can this be actually demonstrated? And no, politicians making blustering statements doesn't count.
                    Yeah, politicians statements do count.

Comment

He promised you that as soon as he takes office Obamacare would be repealed and replaced, that he would lower the costs and it would be better healthcare. It would be so easy!
                      Every politician makes promises he doesn't keep --- remember "you can keep your doctor"?

Comment

Every politician makes promises he doesn't keep --- remember "you can keep your doctor"?
                        To be fair, I don't think Trump was expecting the Republican Congress to stab him in the back. If they put a bill on his desk that repealed Obamacare then he would sign it on the spot, but kinda it's kinda hard to keep a promise that depends on the cooperation of others when those others refuse to cooperate. After all, a US president isn't a dictator. He's doing as much as he can within his presidential authority even if the liberal media is loath to report his successes, but at some point, Congress is going to have to step up to the plate.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          To be fair, I don't think Trump was expecting the Republican Congress to stab him in the back. If they put a bill on his desk that repealed Obamacare then he would sign it on the spot, but kinda it's kinda hard to keep a promise that depends on the cooperation of others when those others refuse to cooperate. After all, a US president isn't a dictator. He's doing as much as he can within his presidential authority even if the liberal media is loath to report his successes, but at some point, Congress is going to have to step up to the plate.
                          And which part of your explanation was unfamiliar to Trump before he was elected?
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Or George Stephanopoulos' notorious slip on Larry King Live that "The President [Bill Clinton] has kept all the promises he intended to keep."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Right, and we have a majority Republican House, a majority Republican Senate, and of course a Republican President, who said it would be easy to repeal and replace, he's a deal maker remember. Hows that workin out for ya? Besides that, he claimed he would make healthcare better and cheaper and yet he played no role in the legislation and was willing to sign whatever reached his desk, a bill which would have thrown 20 something million off insurance and would have raised costs to boot. The problem is that republicans are finding that Obamacare is not as unpopular are they have been saying for the last 7 years and they are afraid of the blowback they will suffer if they repeal and pass their much worse bill.

Comment

Right, and we have a majority Republican House, a majority Republican Senate, and of course a Republican President, who said it would be easy to repeal and replace, he's a deal maker remember. Hows that workin out for ya? Besides that, he claimed he would make healthcare better and cheaper and yet he played no role in the legislation and was willing to sign whatever reached his desk, a bill which would have thrown 20 something million off insurance and would have raised costs to boot. The problem is that republicans are finding that Obamacare is not as unpopular are they have been saying for the last 7 years and they are afraid of the blowback they will suffer if they repeal and pass their much worse bill.
                                Because we have a nation of TAKERS, Jim. They want FREE stuff, and they don't care that it will bankrupt the nation.

Comment