Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Donald Trump and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll just trust God to deal with that question. I recall how little I really understood when I was a new Christian. I might not have known how to answer the question, "Who do you say Jesus is," in those early days.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I'll just trust God to deal with that question. I recall how little I really understood when I was a new Christian. I might not have known how to answer the question, "Who do you say Jesus is," in those early days.
      I have a hard time believing you wouldn't have said something like "He's my savior" or even "He's the Son of God".

But I think it's more a matter of the old "fruit inspector" not "judge" thing.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        I think it behooves anyone bringing someone to Christ to make sure that the person they are bringing to Christ knows what they are believing and what they are getting into.

I don't know Trump, only God does, but from his answers in the interview and the way he acts, I don't get the idea he understands what salvation means, I think he believes Christianity is some sort of "social club" like being a Republican. A shared set of ethics and behaviors. What is known as a "cultural Christian"

Comment

In the run-up to the election, James Dobson stated that Trump was a "baby Christian". What I'd like to know is if this was simply pre-election bluster or if there has been follow up and discipling. Christianity isn't a religion that you convert to once and you have fire insurance; you need to be in contact with other Christians as you grow in Christ.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I think it behooves anyone bringing someone to Christ to make sure that the person they are bringing to Christ knows what they are believing and what they are getting into.

I don't know Trump, only God does, but from his answers in the interview and the way he acts, I don't get the idea he understands what salvation means, I think he believes Christianity is some sort of "social club" like being a Republican. A shared set of ethics and behaviors. What is known as a "cultural Christian"
            Or, "I'm not a heathen*, so I must be a Christian". A lot of people assume they're a "Christian" simply because they're not anti-God.

*I'm not debating that
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'll definitely grant that its nice to have a leader to at least caters to Christians, but any Christian who consider Trump an 'annointed one' as I've heard some call him, or anything other than a nominal Christian, are kidding themselves.

Comment

"Repentance from sin" is not a precondition of salvation. And Trump's answer about who Jesus is, while very non-specific, was not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  I'll definitely grant that its nice to have a leader to at least caters to Christians, but any Christian who consider Trump an 'annointed one' as I've heard some call him, or anything other than a nominal Christian, are kidding themselves.
                  I'm just glad that, of all things, he was true to his word about SCOTUS and religious liberty in general.

Comment

This:

"Jesus to me is somebody I can think about for security and confidence. Somebody I can revere in terms of bravery and in terms of courage and, because I consider the Christian religion so important, somebody I can totally rely on in my own mind."

is true, I guess...but I find it hard to believe that a true Christian would say something so utterly lame in answer to the question "Who do you say Jesus is?"

I mean, was Jesus a pretty alright guy, or is he the Christ, the Son of the Living God?

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      This:

"Jesus to me is somebody I can think about for security and confidence. Somebody I can revere in terms of bravery and in terms of courage and, because I consider the Christian religion so important, somebody I can totally rely on in my own mind."

is true, I guess...but I find it hard to believe that a true Christian would say something so utterly lame in answer to the question "Who do you say Jesus is?"

I mean, was Jesus a pretty alright guy, or is he the Christ, the Son of the Living God?

Lemme ask Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I have a hard time believing you wouldn't have said something like "He's my savior" or even "He's the Son of God".
                        Today, certainly, as a new Christian I do not know. I do recall one time as a new believer reading the question, "Who do you say Jesus is?" As I considered it I read along to see the answer. Oh, thinks I, that is pretty clearly the right answer.

ETA: There are other answers that are correct, just not the bottom line.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          One thing that bothers me more is how many people I know who are real Christians are cheering him along as he declares revenge against people he believes have slighted him. Not repaying evil for evil is a command from Jesus. (This probably makes having a successful political career almost impossible for a Christian.)
                          Rejoicing that evil people get theirs is biblical!!! And I do rejoice! Anyone who love justice and good would!
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            Rejoicing that evil people get theirs is biblical!!! And I do rejoice! Anyone who love justice and good would!
                            Proverbs 24:17-18 (ESV)

17 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
                            and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles,
                            18 lest the Lord see it and be displeased,
                            and turn away his anger from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Proverbs 24:17-18 (ESV)

17 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
                              and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles,
                              18 lest the Lord see it and be displeased,
                              and turn away his anger from him.
                              Revelations

They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?"
                              "Rejoice over her, you heavens! Rejoice, you people of God! Rejoice, apostles and prophets! For God has judged her with the judgment she imposed on you."
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                In the run-up to the election, James Dobson stated that Trump was a "baby Christian".
                                I've long denounced James Dobson, yet he still surprised me with that new level of sophistry. Even other prominent, conservative, evangelicals called out Trump. Yet Dobby decided to go to bat for him. He could have just said nothing.

What I'd like to know is if this was simply pre-election bluster or if there has been follow up and discipling.
                                The former.

Comment